By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Is there an error in the Bridgeport Mill manual or am I being stupid?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jim Gardner24/08/2023 17:18:10
30 forum posts
14 photos

I am trying to get to grips with a Bridgeport mill with a J head. When altering spindle speeds there seems to me, to be 3 ways of doing it. a)The motor switch either position 1 or 2. b) High or low range on the mill. c) Altering the belt on the pulleys.

When looking at the manual it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. From the photo I can see that changing speeds from 67 to 115, or 115 to 180 or 180 to 275 could be done by moving the belt on the pulleys but it seems to say that speeds 67, 115, 180, 275,550, 920, 1500 and 2300 are all on Low Range and switch position 1, while all the other speeds shown underneath are on High Range and switch position 2.

Am I reading it completely wrong or are "Switch position 1 & SP 2" printed in the wrong place?spindle speeds..jpg

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 24/08/2023 21:02:07

Andrew Johnston24/08/2023 17:57:37
7061 forum posts
719 photos

Only two methods, the switch only changes the motor direction. That is because the backgear is only two gears and therefore reverses the spindle direction for a given motor direction.

Andrew

Jim Gardner24/08/2023 18:00:27
30 forum posts
14 photos

Andrew, my switch definitely has 5 positions. Neutral, 2 speeds forward and 2 speeds reverse.

William Chitham24/08/2023 19:38:55
156 forum posts
56 photos

I've never touched a Bridgeport but can't resist having a shot at this. I think it is the "Low Range High Range" labels on the left side of the table that are misleading. At the top of the page it says that the motor runs at 1400 or 2800 rpm and the bottom two rows of speeds are double the top two rows so my guess is:

Top row is Switch position 1, Low Range

Second row is Switch position 1, High Range

Third Row is Switch position 2, Low Range

Fourth Row is Switch position 2, High Range

William.

Baldric25/08/2023 05:14:09
195 forum posts
32 photos

Like you, I find it confusing and have to think each time I change speed, am I wanting to change gear or motor speed. I always end up looking to see if it is twice or half speed I am changing, if it is then change the motor speed. I keep thinking I should put a label on the machine to remind me what I want to change.

Baldric.

Jim Gardner25/08/2023 06:51:08
30 forum posts
14 photos

I think you may be correct William. I have ordered a tachometer/revcounter so when that comes I will put a piece of tape on the spindle and get some readings.

Howard Lewis25/08/2023 07:44:03
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Not being damilar with the Bridgeport, I would ,understand it to be as Willaim says, with the belts giving the speeds shown in each row

Since the speeds shown in High Range are double those shown in Low Range, that would seem to result from the speed of the motor doubling.

The plate could have been printed to make this more obvious..

But once certain that this is the arrangement, it should not take long to become accustomed to mikt, and operation of the machine.

Howard

Jim Gardner27/08/2023 08:42:54
30 forum posts
14 photos

Sorted.

Thank you for your inputs. I'm sure Bridgeport had a good reason, but to me it would have been easier if the chart looked like this,

Spindle speed table

William Chitham27/08/2023 11:06:14
156 forum posts
56 photos

Good job Jim, looks right to me. One thing that struck me looking at your original scan is that the motor makes twice as much power at the high speed position, maybe another factor to consider when deciding on which permutation to choose.

William.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate