By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Briggs

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Briggs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Inverters and stop switches
06/11/2019 20:50:21

An "emergency stop button" wired in series with the regular stop button is just another stop button. I normally stop my machines with the stop button and the VFD ramps down to standstill. I have emergency stops on my machines, they isolate power from the VFD. Fortunately I have not had to use them, but if I do I know the machine will stop even if the VFD control has failed.

Thread: 'Bristol Handles'
02/11/2019 08:32:09

If you can source a female lever with the required handle length, is is a simple task to make a shaft to convert from a larger thread to M4 and loctite it place. Michael

Thread: portable LED floodlight , power source ?
24/10/2019 21:15:06

If possible I would put it back together with the original electronics and measure the operating voltage. Alternatively connect a variable voltage power supply and increase the voltage to an acceptable level of brightness, taking care not to cook it. Michael

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
21/10/2019 20:57:42

At the Harrogate shows the arc stand was always busy. When they initially reduced their presence it was a machine only stand so it is unlikely that the cost of transporting machines was an issue.

Thread: VFD Instructions
17/10/2019 21:02:31

With the motor parameters correctly set you should get full motor protection.

Thread: VFD and screwcutting
16/10/2019 21:32:21

I have had a look at the literature for Rockwell drives, the acceleration and deceleration times are defined as the time it takes to accelerate from rest to maximum speed or decelerate from maximum speed to rest, makes sense to me. Other manufacturers may have different ideas.

16/10/2019 15:55:28

Hello Mike,

I did my own VFD setup which is similar to the Newton Tesla setup except that I have a separate jog button and an emergency stop that isolates the drive. I use the jog button for screw cutting and tapping, works well for me, the drive stops as soon as you release the button.

If a stop limit switch is triggered by the carriage then it will probably have to either be taken out of circuit or mechanically de-activated to allow you to reverse the drive back to the start of the thread.

Michael

Thread: 3 Phase
29/09/2019 13:20:06

Sorry, hadn't looked at Bill's link, Michael

29/09/2019 13:16:43

Davey, my Fobco drill has a similar motor, I would have to take the motor off to see the motor plate. The lid of the terminal box shows how to connect for high and low voltages. It is probably the same as your motor :

motor connections.jpg

Thread: Why does the micrometer have a second knurled segment
05/09/2019 22:58:47

Photo finish Paul, let’s call it a draw

05/09/2019 22:55:25

That’s a new one to me Alan, I thought the second knurled grip was to provide additional functionality as a G clamp. devil

Thread: Locking Levers
05/08/2019 10:23:20

I sourced metal handles for my grinding rest from WDS as referenced by George. Excellent quality and they didn't break the bank.

Michael

Thread: good service Arc eurotrade
01/08/2019 23:51:46

I rate Arceurotrade as a reasonably good supplier, I have had problems on two occasions. The first was with a ball bearing collet nut that felt like it was full of sand, it was replaced promptly.

The second instance was when I purchased two pairs of Stevenson’s 10 20 40 blocks. One of the blocks was manufactured with a hole considerably out of alignment. When I spoke to them about the problem I was told that they would not replace such a low cost item (£16) but I could return it for a refund which I did. I did not receive a refund for the return postage on either occasion.

Thread: Mains outlets with USB sockets - safety?
05/07/2019 22:56:53

I wouldn’t have a problem with a good quality socket that was 15 years old though it would probably look old. With a built in usb charger permanently connected to the mains supply, no thanks.

***** link *****

Thread: Limitation of a milling machine with low spindle RPM.
17/06/2019 14:51:58

Re. Tom Senior speed, I have a Senior E that I believe is the same head as a light vertical. I changed the motor to three phase and a vfd, works very well and I seldom have to change the belt position.

Thread: Stepper rating for Triac upgrade?
01/06/2019 21:19:49

My Triac has the original steppers, performs very well. If yours is unusable I would suggest that the problem could be with the electronics rather than the motors.

Thread: NME&MEX Doncaster
11/05/2019 09:27:34

I would have gone to the show had Warco been present to look at buying a new lathe. In the past it has been useful to compare offerings from different suppliers in one place. Looks like those days have gone, I realise the cost in bringing heavy machines to an exhibition but I would not buy a new lathe without seeing one first. For me a round trip to Warco is 500 miles.

Thread: 2mt Myford Collet
06/05/2019 12:07:46

Extract from a 2003 Myford (Nottingham) price list :

Myford Patent 2 MT Collets for fitting directly into the spindle of all ML10, Speed 10, Diamond 10, ML7, ML7-R and Super 7 lathes, with spindle nose bored 2 MT and threaded 1⅛” x 12 TPI Whitworth. The collets may also be used with the big bore Super 7 Plus and Connoisseur lathes in conjunction with 15353 Headstock Reduction/Step Down Adaptor.

The main advantage of the Myford 2 MT Collet, which is located and closed by means of a nose piece, is that the collet features a through bore. Most other 2 MT collets have blind bore because the collets are closed by means of a draw bar. The Myford collet permits longer lengths of material to be passed through the collet where it is supported in the spindle against whirling and allows the part to be machined and positioned nearer to the spindle nose leading to greater accuracy.

Imperial Collets are available in individual sizes from 1/16” to ½” in 64th increments (32 in a full set).

Metric Collets are available in individual sizes from 2mm to 13mm in 0.5mm increments (23 collets in a full set).

Michael

Thread: Metal Cutting Power Saw
14/03/2019 09:16:56

I have an Evolution saw with tct blade, cuts ok but produces a shower of very hot metal. As you would expect will not cut stainless, blade lasts a few milliseconds. Bought a Femi, not cheap but not disappointed.

Thread: Wazer
14/03/2019 09:10:03

Aside from the cost of the machine, to make a bicycle belt drive (2 sprockets) from 0.19” aluminium consumed 55 lbs of abrasive !

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate