By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Limitation of a milling machine with low spindle RPM.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
IRT17/06/2019 13:05:40
151 forum posts
44 photos

I am comparing the specifications of milling machines.

I notice that the gear head mills seem to have a limited top speed of spindle when compared with their electronically controlled equivalents.

For example the GH18 has a top spindle speed of 1420 rpm. The WM18 has a top speed of 2250 rpm.

Is this limitation regarded as a problem when using small cutters in aluminium and brass?

JasonB17/06/2019 13:16:10
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Small cutters will still cut at the lower speed it just means you can't feed as fast as you would be able to if the cutter were running at it's optimum speed so jobs take longer. You may get a slight drop in surface finish together with a bit more tool wear.

You need to think about what you will be doing the most as the slower belt drive machine will have more grunt a low speeds when using larger diameter cutters, boring heads, saws etc.

Edited By JasonB on 17/06/2019 13:17:57

old mart17/06/2019 13:34:05
4655 forum posts
304 photos

The higher speed would be an advantage especially if using small solid carbide cutters. Reducing the feed rate would make up for the lack of speed if need be.

I am facing the opposite problem, The Tom Senior light vertical which I am working on has only 4 speeds, the slowest of which is over 500rpm. A bit fast for larger drills and cutters in steel.

Andrew Johnston17/06/2019 14:43:32
7061 forum posts
719 photos

While in theory it is possible to use small cutters at low rpm by reducing feedrate experience says it leads to broken cutters. The problem with manually feeding at a low rate is keeping the feed constant. It's only too easy to go a bit slow or a bit fast over a fraction of a turn. Too slow isn't serious but too fast can easily exceed the chip load for the cutter. Equals ping and a broken cutter. Been there done that.

Andrew

Michael Briggs17/06/2019 14:51:58
221 forum posts
12 photos

Re. Tom Senior speed, I have a Senior E that I believe is the same head as a light vertical. I changed the motor to three phase and a vfd, works very well and I seldom have to change the belt position.

Nick Hulme18/06/2019 08:58:51
750 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Ian Thomson 2 on 17/06/2019 13:05:40:

For example the GH18 has a top spindle speed of 1420 rpm. The WM18 has a top speed of 2250 rpm.

That's still a low spindle speed, I have an Emco FB2 head which I run at up to 4000rpm and don't consider that as a particularly high speed.

not done it yet18/06/2019 09:53:50
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by old mart on 17/06/2019 13:34:05:

I am facing the opposite problem, The Tom Senior light vertical which I am working on has only 4 speeds, the slowest of which is over 500rpm. A bit fast for larger drills and cutters in steel.

Wow, I would not want to be using any decent sized slitting saw at 500rpm, for a start!

IRT18/06/2019 12:42:33
151 forum posts
44 photos

Thanks for replies.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate