By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Fowlers Fury

Here is a list of all the postings Fowlers Fury has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Elora coping saw - junior hacksaw
11/03/2018 17:55:41

RE: "I nearly jumped to buy one at that price ^^^ But the one in your link is the fixed-handle variant"

My apologies (note to self - must read the small print !).

I certainly paid much less than ca. 20 Euro when I bought one from a French supermaket a couple of years ago but checking now, it's marked with "PUK" so maybe a Korean Elora copy.
The other feature of those saws is the ability to put the handle at 90 deg to the frame which has saved grazed knuckles a few times.

hack saw.jpg

11/03/2018 11:56:51

As Jason implies - that little hacksaw with the moveable handle can be invaluable sometimes in the workshop.
I purchased one some years ago and will usually reach for it in preference to other junior hacksaws. The handle is more comfortable to hold and to control the cut. Additionally, just by moving the handle to the other end you can push or pull the blade as you wish !

The link in the OP's posting shows it @ £20.20; here it's on sale for less than half that @ £9.44:-
**LINK**

Thread: Piston Packing Choices
09/03/2018 12:35:10

"What are views/opinions on the choice of either O-rings or woven PTFE square packing for model steam loco cylinders?"

Clive ~ your very reasonable question must represent one the most contentious issues in model engineering when you've added "The cylinder and pistons are gunmetal".
One of the problems with PTFE is its expansion at steam temps.There are many articles as you might know in the M.E. and elsewhere suggesting other high performance polymers are preferable.
After a lot of research I used PEEK-CA30 [rather than PTFE with graphite or mica] with this method:-
**LINK**

on David Carpenter's website. It's not easy to follow or do, so if you decide to go that route and need guidance, post again.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Lathe Instruction Manual
07/03/2018 15:57:00

A previous thread covered copyright, well maybe not "covered" but tried to address a specific query
**LINK**

"Ownership: The individual who authored the work will exclusively own the work under the 1988 Copyright Act. Only the owner, or his exclusive licensee can bring proceedings in the courts.
Duration: 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the author of the work dies.
Restricted acts: It is an offence to copy the work without the consent of the owner.
Acts that are allowed -“Fair dealing”: A statutory definition for fair dealing does not exist. Generally, anyone wishing to copy an owner’s works for research or private study must do so themselves. However, other people can make a single copy on their behalf. Acceptable boundary for study: one article from an individual issue of a journal (even if the article is the entire journal issue).
"

The likelihood that the successors to Messrs Myfords Ltd of Beeston would pursue a court case for holding a copy of an old, out-of-date manual is remote especially as it would seem to fit in the "Fair dealing" category of private study.

Thread: Cleaning up surface rust
03/03/2018 11:31:13

FWIW ~ I find the carbide-impregnated mesh used by plumbers excellent for cleaning off rust from non-critical surfaces. A roll was purchased from a hardware shop some years ago and a quick search shows this similar product. It claims "Open mesh abrasive strips 38mm x 250mm are supplied as a pack of 10 assorted grits. Made of fibreglass mesh bonded with silicon carbide grit and ideal for the preparation of copper and steel pipes for soldering and also for the renewal of paint or corrosion.":-
**LINK**
The well-used bits are kept for lighter, surface rust

Thread: Any other out of touch members ?
28/02/2018 15:29:44

"If youth knew how and age were able"

Thread: FREE TO GOOD HOME
28/02/2018 15:21:45

Apologies for drifting off topic a bit....and probably known to all anyway.
I have very many of those binders for ME and MEW which use the spring steel rods to secure the individual copies. By removing all the advertising and other pages I don't want, it's easy to get twice as many copies in each binder and thus halve the bulk of the total collection yet doing so requires additional binder wires.
Thin piano wire (not coiled) in bulk for A4 is expensive e.g. on Fleabay, 12 lengths of 1 x 300mm is £48 !
But they are available for just 6 pence each from:-
**LINK**

Thread: Help choosing a smartphone
28/02/2018 14:55:47

Re: "What is the battery life like? I'd read one review where they said it might need charging every day. Is that the case? Am thinking of upgrading my old phone and was put off the G5 for this reason, so would appreciate the view of someone who actually owns one."

Obviously depends very much how it's used. If you keep 'location', Bluetooth & wifi on all the time then a day's use before recharge would be good going.
My G5 is never switched off (I stop most e-services overnight) and a daily top-up charge is often needed. However I think you'll find that most new smart phones will require a daily charge.

At least you can replace the battery in a G5 which is more than can be said for many new phones.

Get the Android app "Accubattery" it's an excellent way to monitor battery use and condition.

27/02/2018 15:18:38

Re: "Motorola will probably take one of the new micro-sims"
I think you'll find the one you need is called a "nano" SIM. Whichever phone you opt for, check the relevant SIM card size you'll need (quote):-

"Nano SIM is both smaller and approximately 15% thinner than the earlier Micro SIM (3FF) standard as well as the Mini SIM (2FF) cards that were ubiquitous for many years and people commonly refer to simply as SIM cards. ... These days, it is not difficult to obtain a Nano SIM card directly from a carrier."

Nothing confusing there then dont know

27/02/2018 13:55:49

Fully endorse Journeyman's "For a starter phone you could do worse that go with a Motorola G5 just to test the water. It is not the smartest of smart phones but it does most of the things that an Apple or Samsung will do but you can get one for about £150 sim and contract free etc..."

Ir consistently comes out of reviews as excellent value. The G5 also has finger-print recognition which I first thought was a gimmick but now really appreciate (not having to sign in with a PIN etc all the time).
OK, other phones have it but at ca. £150?

I'd recomment you look at this guy's website for non-sponsored, unbiased information on current SIM offers and phones:-

**LINK**

Thread: Hobby related jokes
24/02/2018 23:44:13
"Can't locate the last thread on this theme so have started another"

**LINK**

Thread: In praise of angle grinders
21/02/2018 12:07:39
Posted by Samsaranda on 10/10/2017 08:23:28:

If using an angle grinder outside make sure where the Sparks are going is nowhere near any Windows, the red hot debris in the spark stream will embed itself in the surface of the glass, don't ask me how I found that out.

Dave

"Did you use the stanley knife blade scraper to get the nibs off, got me out of a hole when I did that to the bosses' windscreen."

<><><><><><>

Got myself into trouble last week from SWMBO (again). Used the angle grinder outside and peppered a window with embedded grit. I did take a scraper to the glass and yes, "the nibs" came off but left permanent craters in the glass surface. What perplexes me is why, although wearing gloves, areas of my left wrist were being covered with the same hot 'sparks' at much closer range they produced no more than a mild 'tingle' yet the sparks - farther away - embed themselves into glass? Presumably, "the bosses' windscreen" would be tougher than window glass.

Thread: The Model Engineer and Electrician
18/02/2018 12:41:12

Maybe Percival Marshall CIMechE was having an identity crisis in the 1920s. In 1929 the mast head now read:-
me 29.jpg

Thread: Members directory
17/02/2018 11:32:11

"Id like to meet like minded and more experienced individuals."

**LINK**

Thread: ME August 1977
15/02/2018 00:00:23

Pleased you got a good outcome - some hours of reading ahead then !
Personally, I think the 70s was the golden era for Model Engineer, so many excellent contributors....
"Tubal Cain", Geo.Thomas, Vic Smeed, Ted Jeynes, Prof Chaddock, Claude Reeve etc.

14/02/2018 12:34:13

By common consent, UK Copyright Law “is a mess” and certainly not the most compelling subject for model engineers. Some key bits only then, before addressing the issue of Raymond Sanderson’s simple request.
Ownership: The individual who authored the work will exclusively own the work under the 1988 Copyright Act. Only the owner, or his exclusive licensee can bring proceedings in the courts.
Duration: 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the author of the work dies.
Restricted acts: It is an offence to copy the work without the consent of the owner.
Acts that are allowed -“Fair dealing”: A statutory definition for fair dealing does not exist. Generally, anyone wishing to copy an owner’s works for research or private study must do so themselves. However, other people can make a single copy on their behalf. Acceptable boundary for study: one article from an individual issue of a journal (even if the article is the entire journal issue).

The picture on the cover page of ME No. 3567 is attributed to a “Robin Russell”. He or his successors will own the copyright until 2047. Other articles not printed on Raymond’s pages include one from Martin Evans, who was then a “Technical Consultant” to MAP. Whether that means he or MAP or their respective successors own the work is not known to us. But under the precise terms of the Act, copying without their consent is an offence.
However, under the 1988 Act although “Fair dealing” is not defined, by custom and practice any one of us should have been able to make a single copy of those pages for Raymond “on his behalf” if it was for his private study. Whether my reproduced MAP “All Rights Reserved” statement negates that would be for the courts to decide.
Does it matter? Probably not, the likelihood of litigation in this case is negligible.
A far more serious issue for authors & publishers is the blatant copying of books being offered for sale on non-UK websites.

Thread: My first foray into clock repair
13/02/2018 21:25:49

Brian ~ my last posting suggested that any advice of mine should be ignored, given all that provided by the experts above. Yet your request ... "hence my asking if anybody had any hints or tips on how to make small adjustments." remains unanswered.
You might find it interesting to read "Is there a standard for adjusting palette height on escape wheel?"
**LINK**

Over and out.

Thread: What quality vs cost considerations drives your buying?
13/02/2018 12:37:44

Cordless drills as one example of the cost/quality dilemma -
"Hopper" makes an important point IMHO about factoring in incovenience. I would use a 'cheap' cordless drill maybe once every few weeks, charge it and put it back. Next time I reach for it, the battery is flat. Inconvenience then represents waiting around whilst it recharges, or digging out the old corded drill if the job was near a mains socket.
The batteries were the weakness with cheap cordless drills i.e. drills made down to a price.
Eventually so fed up with the routine I paid for a DeWalt costing maybe 3 times as much as a "cheap" one. Now that drill can be retrieved when needed and its battery has held the charge. Yes, my usage pattern is not good for any rechargeable battery but somtimes it's easy - as Hoppper illustrates - to put a value on inconvenience.

"Quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten".

Thread: ME August 1977
13/02/2018 12:00:24

There certainly should be copy printed on those pages. In 1978, I ordered the 2-vol, bound 1977 issues directly from MAP. Since copyright is held by the successors of MAP, my sending you pdfs of the missing pages is not allowed without their permission. Your missing pages include articles on Walchaerts, Holmside loco, book reviews etc. One of the stockists of back numbers could probably supply you with a replacement.

me copyright.jpg

Thread: Vice clamp downs
10/02/2018 11:56:30

Though by no means is it the only, free image manipulation s/ware but "IrfanView" is superb IMHO.
Image rotation is easy ("Save to same folder" and "Overwrite"). D/load the plugins and you'll a suprisingly versatile, zero cost prog. It's no Photoshop but can achieve much.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate