By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Drabble

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Drabble has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drilling Spring Steel
29/06/2015 18:50:33

In the past I have bought solid carbide drills at reasonable cost from Anchor Drills and Tools in Sheffield on 0114 256 0700. I have no connection with the company.

Thread: Recommended collet chuck
01/06/2015 19:38:55

Colin, As an alternative , may I suggest Dave Chambers at D&J Workholding on [email protected] and 01993 200119. They supply a large range of styles of quality tooling arbours and collets , incl MT1 in different precision grades. NOT CHEAP, but good . No connection with company other than as a satisfied customer. Hope this helps.

Trevor.

Thread: Estimated selling price of a Myford VMB mill?
27/04/2015 10:04:19

Jonny, When you say the power feed wont work , what do you mean precisely ? Do you mean the motor runs , but doesn't drive or that the motor doesn't drive at all please? I have exactly the same machine which I bought new from Myfords in Nottingham . I later bought the power feed from Chronos because it was much cheaper than ostensibly the Myford unit , but found it wouldn't fit in any way . Chronos accepted return with no problem . I then returned to Myford and bought theirs , only to find that it in 2 aspects it wouldn't fit either , but was easily made to do so . Also, the information supplied by Myfords , ( on a piece of scrap paper ) for the electrical connection within the control cabinet was wrong , again easily corrected using new DIN rail mounted fittings and revising the control wiring. Hope this helps . Regarding the removal of the motor from a second hand machine , I can understand why because mine is a Brook motor , and even when its driven large cutters over protracted periods , its never got really warm at all , which is in stark contrast to some alternatives that I've seen.

Thread: Facilities at Harrogate show.
27/04/2015 09:32:51

Hi Peter , First of all , for what its worth , my advice would be to buy an advance ticket if you haven't already done so . For me , the catering fixed facilities provide both good hot and cold food in a service area between the 2 exhibition halls . These are supplemented by an internal mobile snack bar at the far end of the display hall , together with separate ice cream and drink bars around the service area. The greatest problem I have found is not with getting served , but rather with getting selfish people to either vacate their seats when they have finished eating , or to remove their bags from vacant seats to stop others sharing their table. Hence , I always take my own lightweight seating facilities and because the parking can be very/ relatively close to the exhibition , its no problem for me to store in the car until needed. Hope this helps.

Thread: Reading a drawing - Radius
21/04/2015 20:39:59

Bruce, Taking the example quoted , set compasses or dividers to 5mm radius . place point on outer line of item and strike 2 radius's some distance apart . Join the 2 crests to give you a line running parallel to outer edge of item . Lightly draw a vertical extension to common edge on lower vertical part . Repeat exercise , but this time using a 10 mm radius . where the 2 new construction lines cross is the common centre for both arcs .

21/04/2015 20:23:18

Appreciate I may be looking at this all wrong, but have looked at the drawing and believe the Rx dimensions are the ACTUAL dimensions ie R10 is 10 mm radius , R5 is 5 mm radius etc . For example , the lower right bend has an R5 internal radius , then because the material is 5 mm wide , this added to the radius = R10 .

Thread: HUCO Couplings
13/04/2015 20:13:39

May I suggest you also try BB Engineering Supplies from Dewsbury on 07976 539675 . He usually has a number of different styles of quality UJ available . Think he also has a presence on Ebay and that he will be at Harrogate in May. I have no connection with Company other than as a satisfied customer .

Thread: Hay on Wye
12/03/2015 23:18:54

John,

Have sent you a PM.

Trevor.

Thread: Copper pipe bending
09/03/2015 20:39:45

My prefered method of bending small pipes is my twin handled mini pipe bender . It does 3 -4-6 mm o.d. pipes and I find it is much more repeatable than using my mini springs . Got mine from Cromwell Tools , part number KEN 5886080K.

Thread: Lathe tachometer
14/02/2015 00:17:26

p1020857.jpgWhen I converted my S7 to VFD I developed the attached speed table , which I find suits my needs fine . The 800rpm column is highlighted because this is the minimum motor speed recommended by Newton Tesla for continuous operation.

Trevor

Thread: thread of a record 36 vice
07/02/2015 01:19:10

Ian,

I have an original Sheffield made Record 25 vice in excellent condition which I am about to advertise . You're welcome to first refusal if you feel you can lift it ! Pictures can be supplied . I am in South Yorkshire.

Trevor.

Thread: What are these drills called?
31/01/2015 20:00:15

Chris,

This drill is actually a slow helix drill and is designed for non-ferrous materials such brass , phosphor bronze ,gunmetal and the like . The reason for the slow flutes is to change the rake angle at the cutting lip to one more suitable for such duty , as opposed to a standard drill whose flutes produce a rake angle more suited to ferrous materials. In other words , each is simply a way of producing the same angles as found on any other cutting tools such as lathe tools or milling cutters . You will also find that the lands are narrower and the flutes wider than on a standard drill mainly to help reduce binding and also to aid rapid removal of the swarf. We always used to produce these drills with a standard 118 degree point because greater angles effected the cutting lips . Also , generally speaking, as would seem to be the case here , stub drills are produced with a standard helix , but with the flutes only half the length of a standard jobber drill . As usual, there are always exceptions . For example, originally we used to supply standard small jobber drills to Raleigh in Nottingham for the drilling of the spoke holes in bicycle wheels , but the breakages were so great, the asked us to supply double - ended versions , which we did. This work certainly kept the Hertline flute grinders busy. Hope this helps answer your queery.

Thread: soluble cutting fluid
28/05/2014 23:30:41

Adam, I've just used Google Chrome "Silkolene" and it brings up a number of entries , including showing they are now part of the Fuchs group and that they still produce metal working fluids. Perhaps they have archive material which may be of use ? Hope this helps a little.

Trevor.

Thread: Who makes miniature imperial combination or open end spanners ?
01/05/2014 00:07:16

Brian,

Amazon list quite a range of BA spanners in a number of different styles including open ended , combination and box spanners.

Trevor

Thread: ET Westbury flash boiler
22/03/2014 14:21:37

Russ,

For your information , this drawing is shown as fig 5.2 in the Benson book which I am about to put on sale. On page 69 of the same book fig 5.8 shows a design for an ETW diffused flame burner which may be suitable. Suggest you may find it useful if you could get to talk with Phil Abbott of the Blackheath Model Boat Club. Believe he also may still be the straight running secretary of the MPBA. Contact may be possible via our companion Model Boats web site ? Certainly Ive always found him to be a very helpful and knowledgable chap on the subject of flash steam. With respect to certification of the boiler, I would assume it would depend upon its bar-litre capacity , a point which I am sure Phil or any MPBA club boiler inspector would be able to clarify.

Thread: Storage - How to?
21/03/2014 19:48:14

Graham,

I had exactly the same problem with the smaller set of Bisleys shown in your pic. My solution was to obtain some reject (4mm) strip wood from my local DIY , and then to ceate different sized egg boxes in each drawer. Because I have a low manual skill level , all half housings were cut on the miller with a slot drill. Bases of drawers were lined with hardboard and then ecause of the return edges on the drawer sides , the crosspieces were dressed on their top edges so as to be a firm fit under these return edges before being positioned as appropriate. The longditudinal pieces were then slotted into place , with the half housings held together with a strong water-proof wood glue. This arrangement has worked well for me for almost 5 years.

Trevor

Thread: Welding/brazing tips.. Propane vs Acetylene
11/03/2014 09:49:02

Geoff,

Have you tried asking an equipment supplier such as BOC Australia ? For my part , I have always found their UK branches to be most helpful in heping with my gas querries.

Trevor.

Thread: Chronos?
08/03/2014 23:21:47

Working in such a relatively small niche' market , I have no doubt that suppliers such as Chronos (no connection) are working on tight profit margins , and so maybe do not have the money to throw at a first class stock control system . And , just by way of putting things into perspective , during a recent visit to London in November 2013 , I really pushed the boat out and bought a tube of Harrods own brand biscuits from their store . I later decided I would like some more (!!) and so emailed all the packet information to Harrods requesting details for further supply. The reply I got literally took my breath away. In effect they do not have an effective stock control system , and suggested I should travel ( 350 mile round trip !) to the store to check for myself ! Now , given their situation , if they cant be ....... to install such a system , how can we reasonbly expect the likes of Chronos to do so ? A copy of the email is available to anyone interested.

Trevor.

Thread: Dilemma
01/03/2014 19:01:51

Richard ,

May I suggest you search Myford Lathe Service from 14/10/2011 in this Forum section. There you will find references and contact details for Darren and Pete who are ex-Myford employees and whom I am sure you will find most helpful and would heartily recommend both . I have no connection with either of them , other than as a satisfied customer of both.

I hope you will find this information of use.

Trevor.

Thread: Myford Saddle hand wheel dial
26/02/2014 23:04:24

When I purchased my reconditioned S7B from Myfords, it came with one of Graham's dials fitted , and as far as I am concerned, it is an excellent and indispensible piece of equipment . In actual fact , it was because of the dial that I chose this machine in preference to the other similar ones available at the time .

Edited By Trevor Drabble on 26/02/2014 23:05:15

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate