By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Searching for a good quality, metric-only, 300mm steel ruler
23/03/2022 00:07:52

**LINK**

Thread: Advice on Cluttered Dimensions in Drawings
22/03/2022 20:38:08

We rely on the goodwill of hard working people who effectively volunteer their time to create drawings for our hobby (I know the magazines pay, but lets face it most are doing it for the benefit of their hobby rather than to line their pockets). The drawings are not going to be perfect all of the time, but there are people still producing them despite a wave of hostility from onlookers. We should be grateful rather than trying to tear them to pieces. This is a hobby largely full of enthusiastic amateurs.

One of my most vocal critics at the model engineering society I attend has frequent, loud advice for me, usually prefaced with "you know what you are doing wrong..." or "you know your problem don't you...". This is from someone who once let slip he last used a lathe at school, 45 years ago, and has driven a locomotive once. But the advice keeps coming.

Nice, polite advice is always welcomed, especially from those who maybe had careers in whatever the subject at hand is. But sometimes the holier than thou snobbery on this forum is nothing short of discouraging. Calling out others opinions as rubbish, belittling others, all this crap, it really needs to stop. It's just elitist attitudes that will kill our hobby dead.

Thread: Poppet valve regulator (LBSC Britannia)
21/03/2022 23:17:24

I'm about to start making LBSC's Poppet valve regulator for my 3.5" Britannia (i.e. the one in the smokebox). To be honest I'm rather intimidated by it, and also concerned about how reliable it would be. Does anyone have any tips before I start please, and is anyone using one in their locomotive with success?

The temptation to use a ball valve instead is overwhelming... as the boiler has been made with the smokebox regulator in mind I can't go back to a dome regulator.

Thread: Broken Tap removal tool
21/03/2022 23:13:11

Now those are rather nifty. I think I'd probably make them as and when needed as I have too many eclectic taps to know exactly what to get or make in advance! (for some reason I've accumulated at least 10 6BA for example)

Thread: Hi from Essex
18/03/2022 15:15:14

Another MoD apprentice here, Boscombe Down in my case. Where were you? Welcome.

Thread: FAULTY DRILL BITS !
18/03/2022 13:11:36
Posted by Martin Connelly on 18/03/2022 13:07:42:

Pramet are in the Czech Republic, there hasn't been a place called Czechoslovakia since 1 Jan 1993.

Martin C

And yet strangely we all knew what he meant?

Thread: A sticky Mercer Gauge
18/03/2022 12:09:03

Cleaning off the old oil before adding more is probably the key. I sparingly use lighter fluid, but I don't know what an actual horologist would use.

Thread: Damp shed: what’s the best way to add ventilation?
18/03/2022 12:00:03

I think it's crucial to have free flow of air through that gap. Maybe that is what you've achieved.

Thread: Engineering tuition recommendations
18/03/2022 11:35:07

I think we have managed to drift away from the original question. I'm quite amazed more people haven't suggested their local model engineering societies. It's been invaluable to me.

18/03/2022 08:25:58

Our Model Engineering Society does sessions that tend to be tailored around the needs of the "students"; I've done some of their hand tool sessions and they were very useful. We are in Westbury, Wiltshire.

West Wiltshire Model Engineering Society

**LINK**

Thread: Damp shed: what’s the best way to add ventilation?
17/03/2022 08:33:52

I use a condensing dehumidifier which actually warms and defrosts itself if it gets too chilly. This is quite useful for providing water for steaming as well.

Thread: Rob Roy boiler; help needed.
15/03/2022 16:41:12

Whatever you do make sure your club boiler inspector has seen it before you go any further, not only will they be far happier signing off something they have seen themselves they will have lots of good tips and advice. This could save you a lot of expense and heartache further down the line.

Thread: Converting brick outhouse to (very small) workshop...
15/03/2022 06:24:51

My first workshop was a lean-to on the side of my house, it was barely wide enough for the worktop and me, but it had enough space for my lathe and pillar drill. It's where I built my first stationary engine and started my Britannia. Something is better than nothing.

Thread: Dykem Layout Blue Remover
14/03/2022 07:41:37

I've now got some Acetone coming. Dykem blue is fantastic stuff but it does rather show through Acid 8 primer. Thanks for the advice (I was not the original poster but I'm glad they asked the question).

Thread: Railway station toilet signs
14/03/2022 07:40:00
Posted by Peter Greene 🇨🇦 on 13/03/2022 19:32:35:

Where'd br go?

Forced off by some heartless responses I suspect. Some people forget that for many forums like these are a lifeline. More tolerance required by some people.

Thread: Hello all
14/03/2022 07:38:22

Lots of Aero engineers (serving and retired) on this site so you are in similar company.

My Model engineering society is a short distance from you (Westbury in Wiltshire) but you have a Model Engineering Society in Bristol who I'm sure would be very friendly for face to face help.

https://www.bristolmodelengineers.co.uk/

Thread: Any advance on the highlighted comment ?
13/03/2022 22:09:33

We are all on different stages in our journey in engineering. Some people progress faster than others, some need guidance, and some either never get any or disregard it.

I look at the engineering I did only 12 months ago and want to throw it in the bin. I made some traction engine wheels I'm proud of today. In a years time I'll probably think they are fit for scrap.

Thread: Is this a record fuel price ?
13/03/2022 16:08:02

There is a joke going round on social media at the moment, I paraphrase but basically:

"I saw someone at pump 3 today putting in £10 of petrol. Where was he going, pump 4?"

Thread: Is this distasteful
11/03/2022 17:23:43

I'm a right leg amputee, above knee, the only limit I find is I need to sit down quite often, usually in between machining tasks.

Thread: STUART - compressor / vacuum pump
09/03/2022 17:51:44

It looks like there are similar items in here:

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/stuart-turner-compressor.32535/

But other than that I can't see many references to the original item, sorry.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate