By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stuart Smith 5

Here is a list of all the postings Stuart Smith 5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is it really a joke
07/04/2022 18:37:26

Each house may have a supply with a 100A fuse, but the distribution network is not designed to provide everyone with that simultaneously. In fact, historically the network will have been designed at 1.5kW per property so it won’t take many people trying to run a 7.4kW charger at the same time to overload the network.

Stuart

Thread: Why is electricity so expensive?
07/04/2022 18:26:59

Anthony

No doubt Dave will give you his reply, but the costs of failed Suppliers is picked up by everyone. See my previous post.

As a former Trading Standards man for Lancashire used to say on the local radio consumer programme, ‘if it seems to good to be true, it probably is’ . Some suppliers were happy to sell at too low a cost to get business, but were not resilient enough to withstand increases in wholesale prices.

Stuart

Thread: UK plans eight new nuclear reactors to boost production
07/04/2022 11:34:47

It’s just a pity that the existing reactors weren’t replaced on each site as they came to the end of their lives.

We wouldn’t then have used up our gas reserves making electricity.

Governments can’t see long term though, and are too easily influenced by lobbying.

Stuart

Thread: Why is electricity so expensive?
07/04/2022 10:34:35

AdrianR and Dave

I was surprised by the 38% rise in Network Costs in the info from Ofgem.

This area is heavily regulated by Ofgem and companies can’t just increase their charges. The amounts they can charge are specified by Ofgem after a lot of wrangling.

This page on the Ofgem website gives more detail on the breakdown of costs:

**LINK**

There is a note next to the chart regarding Network Costs:

Network costs: The main driver of this increase is the recovery of Supplier of Last Resort (SoLR) levy costs (£68). A supplier acting as a SoLR can make a claim for any reasonable additional, otherwise unrecoverable, costs they incur. These levy claims are paid to energy companies by the distribution network companies and recovered from consumers via their charges.

So £68 of this (plus, I imagine the ‘reasonable additional costs they incur ) is to be paid by all of us because of the Suppiers who have gone bust.

I must admit that I don’t understand why at least some of this isn’t recovered from the companies that fail.

The other reasons that Dave suggests will no doubt increase costs in the future as networks are reinforced and replaced as a result of the Governments push to move to electric vehicles and heat pumps etc plus network resilience to cope with extreme weather.

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 07/04/2022 10:35:11

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 07/04/2022 10:37:00

Thread: Where to sell my Austin 7?
31/03/2022 23:28:05

Lee

Have you seen Mathewsons Classic Car Auctions on the tv programme ‘Bangers and Cash’? It is on the Yesterday channel. They are in North Yorkshire but have featured cars from all over the country and have sold Austin 7s. Might be worth asking them.

Stuart

Thread: Coming Soon : The shutdown of 3G
28/03/2022 09:59:50

I think that report is about the networks in the USA. If you search for U.K. info, the networks say 2023 or 2033. Not sure which is correct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59583783 

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 28/03/2022 10:01:31

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 28/03/2022 10:02:25

Thread: Digital readouts
23/03/2022 10:33:37

Arcurotrade sell these. I have 3 of them on my Warco mill. (As per the link from DC31k earlier).

I found the display a bit small so built an adapter to use the TouchDRO app on a cheap Android tablet for the display.

Stuart

Thread: Front door locks
19/02/2022 14:30:04

Duncan

I have a Ring doorbell. You can install the app on more than one phone. It triggers when it detects movement (or activity as Ring call it) and also if someone presses the doorbell.

When I bought it I had problems with it because my internet was the old ADSL system and didn’t have a fast enough upload speed. I changed to fibre broadband and it works ok now.

The problem with it is the time lag between the doorbell detecting activity or someone pressing the button and the mobile phone ringing. When our postman delivers, it detects activity and rings my phone, but he has usually gone by then.

You can set the app with different sounds for activity or doorbell press (or none).

You can connect it to an old fashioned mains transformer powered doorbell and this will also keep the battery charged.

Stuart

19/02/2022 14:19:13

Ian

I would do as you suggest and fit an electric release striker plate (one that keeps locked if the supply fails) with a keypad.

I think one of the reasons people have keysafes is that they are an easy and cheap solution, but not without potential problems. As you say it could be prised from the wall, but you can make this difficult if you attach with rawlbolts . The other problem is that someone can leave and forget to put the key back in the safe or even make a copy of the key.

You could fit a security camera system which can also be set to message you when someone enters and record activity.

Stuart

Thread: WM18 strip down
16/02/2022 20:42:47

I have a WM16 which I bought secondhand and had to move it from a first floor workshop. It is obviously smaller and lighter than the WM18 but looks to be a similar design.

I removed the complete head from the column and removed the table from the base . This left 3 parts, the head, the table and the base/column. I found a video on YouTube showing how to remove the head. **LINK** . I just lowered the head onto a block of wood onto the table, wound it forward and lifted it off.

If you look on the US Grizzly tools website they have very good manuals . You should be able to find one for a mill similar to the WM18.

Stuart

Thread: Help buying multifunction Compound 2 Axis 4 Ways Working milling table
06/02/2022 15:42:40

Wayne

Why not make a jig with a peg so that when you have drilled one hole, just move bar along and sit last hole on the peg so the next one will be at the same spacing.

Something like this:

9dd9566d-3587-4b56-aec0-f52484f998e5.jpeg

Stuart

To be clamped or bolted to the drill table. It could be made adjustable for different hole centres and bar width.

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 06/02/2022 15:44:44

Thread: Workshop Flooring Advice
30/01/2022 15:49:55

Lee

It is solid. I would say harder and stronger than normal concrete. It also has a very smooth finish. Although I used it to make a plinth 30 to 40 mm thick, so I don’t know how it would perform as a thinner layer.

Stuart

30/01/2022 15:41:30

I have used this recently to cast a plinth for my lathe on my uneven concrete floor.

**LINK**

The pack says it will cover 6 sq metres at 3mm thick, so may not be a cheap option.

It levels itself - just mix and pour it out.

Stuart

Thread: Model Engineering Website
14/01/2022 20:04:17

Just tried it on my iPad and my samsung(Android) phone.

Both worked ok.

It looks like the problem is at your end.

Stuart

Thread: 180v motor not working on new control board
14/01/2022 18:26:47

Andrew

The controller you linked to is for a dc motor.

Is yours an ac motor?

Can you provide details of the motor?

Stuart

Thread: Resurrecting an old model
12/01/2022 00:41:47

Bob

I bought some drive belts to repair an old tape recorder from CPC.

They stock a large range. You might find something suitable from them.

**LINK**

Stuart

Thread: Digital subscription offer
07/01/2022 09:34:56

Maurice

I can also open all the old ones on my 5 year old iPad Air 2 using Google Chrome browser. (They won’t open using the Safari browser).

I have realised this is because I haven’t updated Chrome to the latest version.

I suspect yours is the same, so if you want to carry on getting access, don’t update it!

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 07/01/2022 09:37:04

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 07/01/2022 09:38:20

Thread: Paranoid about Android
02/01/2022 15:54:35

Michael

The process I linked to imports/exports from/to sim to phone, not to google account.

My Samsung phone is Android 7, but has options to import/export from/to SIM card and also an option ‘move device contacts’ which uses google or Samsung account on my phone.

I have my contacts on my phone. If I select to view Google contacts, it shows ‘none’.

The other thing that occurred to me is can you not keep your existing SIM card?

Stuart

02/01/2022 14:59:03

Michael

I had a search online and found this:

**LINK**

Does this do what you want? I don’t think it uses your Google account.

Stuart

Thread: Running 'nukes' in the red
01/01/2022 12:08:43

Duncan

That is a very good point.

Its a pity the building regs haven’t been changed to force this to happen.

This could have been done a few years ago, without subsidies from the rest of us.

Stuart

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate