Converting CAD files to PDF

Changing from DWG or DXF to PDF format

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Haynes31/05/2011 09:16:46
168 forum posts
26 photos
Hi folks,

I have produced a number of drawing sheets on AutoCAD. As I no longer have access to an A0/A1 plotter, I would like to convert the files to PDF as these prints work out much cheaper to print at a print firm, currently about £4 per A1 PDF sheet against £8 for direct prints of DWG or DXF files. I have been unable to find freeware that can do the conversion. Can anyone help please?
Thanks,

Dave
David Clark 131/05/2011 09:22:17
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi David
Email me a drawing in DXF format and I will see what I can do.
regards david

John Coates31/05/2011 09:43:45
558 forum posts
28 photos
For a Linux user there is the program lx-viewer

Here's the How to and here's the program lx-viewer

John Stevenson31/05/2011 10:05:12
5068 forum posts
3 photos
David.
Download Cute PDF [ it's free ] and then in Autocad select print and choose the Cute PDF printer and this will 'print' your drawing to a PDF file.

Simples

John S.
Ramon Wilson31/05/2011 12:33:08
1655 forum posts
617 photos
Hi John, thanks for posting this link.

I have apparently, downloaded it successfully and have, again apparently used it to save a Cad file as PDF however I cannot find it in any of the cad files currently stored. I tried to save it again and there it is listed as already saved as - PDF file saved in XX ......... but when I go there no PDF file to be found, just the usual cad files. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Your help would be appreciated if you can spare a mo.

Regards - Ramon

Edited By Ramon Wilson on 31/05/2011 12:33:55

Peter G. Shaw31/05/2011 15:14:50
1531 forum posts
44 photos
Ramon,

Perhaps you need to close the originating programme. Or Cute pdf. Or both.

Or perhaps a search using *.pdf to see if it is not where you think it is.

Regards,

Peter G. Shaw
Denis O'Kane31/05/2011 18:11:26
5 forum posts
Ramon,

Go to the plotter manager in AutoCAD, printer selection and select DWG to PDF.pc3.

All AutoCAD releases have this facility, I use it all the time.

Regards

Denis O'Kane
Ramon Wilson31/05/2011 19:54:59
1655 forum posts
617 photos
Hi Peter and Denis,

Thanks for responding.
I'm still struggling to make heads or tails of this I'm afraid, I am a little further forward - but not much

Ok this is the current situation.

I have a drawing filed as Super Tigre G32.

The Cute PDF appears to have downloaded correctly.

I have saved the file as a pdf but it does not appear in the Autocad files.

When I open plot manager there is no DWG to PDF.pc3

When I open the file STG32 there is no pdf file available in the file menu.

I carried out a search and sure enough there is a pdf file for STG32 sitting in My Recent Documents listed as being in 'Autocad Files' It opens perfectly (from the search facility)but it definitely does not appear in Autocad files when I open them - well not that I can see that is

Any ideas?

In the meantime I'll keep plugging away

Thanks again - Ramon
David Clark 131/05/2011 20:07:22
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi Ramon
You don't say if it opens as a PDF or drawing.
Which is it?
If a drawing, I expect the file extension has changed to PDF so autocad does not recognise it.
Send me the DXF and I will try and convert it.
If I can't do it, I can get it done proffesionally tomorrow.
regards david

Mark Dickinson31/05/2011 20:14:18
48 forum posts
4 photos
Ramon,
CutePDF normally defaults to save in My Documents folder.

Mark

edit.

You may also need the GhostScript program installed. If you are using windoze 7 it will complain about not installing properly but it has.

Edited By Mark Dickinson on 31/05/2011 20:17:55

Ramon Wilson31/05/2011 20:24:17
1655 forum posts
617 photos
Hi David,

The files listed in the AutoCad file type for this specific drawing are dwg, dws,dxf and dwt.

I have just found by going to AutoCad files in My Documents the pdf file is there and can be opened no problem so I can now use it from there. (It opens as a pdf file)

I was under the impression though that this could be opened from Autocad itself but maybe I am mistaken on that.

This AutoCad thingy is all fairly new to me, I have managed to make it draw a line or too but this side of things definitely taxes the old grey cells.

If I can open these pdf files from within AutoCad itself I'd still like to learn how though so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be more than pleased to hear how.

Thanks for the offer though - much appreciated

Regards - Ramon
Ramon Wilson31/05/2011 20:31:59
1655 forum posts
617 photos
Looks like that confirms it Mark.

Being able to open it from AutoCad is not important - My Docs will do just fine then. It's just being certain I'm going about things the right way.

I'm still using XP and had no problems downloading - just as well as I'm really not a computer person full stop. I try, but it is a struggle at times - well most of the time I guess

Thanks for your help

Ramon
John Stevenson31/05/2011 22:55:10
5068 forum posts
3 photos
Autocad will not open a PDF file.
The reason you print to a pdf is so that you can distribute it to someone who doesn't have a drawing program that will handle the DWG or DXF files.

When you select print and choose Cute PDF it should come up with a save box where you name the file, look at the top of the save as window for the foile location it's going to put it and change it if needed.

John S
Ramon Wilson31/05/2011 23:23:20
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Posted by John Stevenson on 31/05/2011 22:55:10:
Autocad will not open a PDF file.
The reason you print to a pdf is so that you can distribute it to someone who doesn't have a drawing program that will handle the DWG or DXF files.

Thanks John,

That's exactly what I want to do and can now see the logic

I guess I'm on top of it now. Everythings so simple - when you know how

Regards - Ramon
David Haynes01/06/2011 18:38:02
168 forum posts
26 photos
Thanks for the advice John, I downloaded Cute PDF and though it comes up as a printer in the Office software (2003), it doesn't come up in AutoCAD print options. My AutoCAD is old but perfectly suited to my drafting needs. Someone may know how to make PDF an option in AutoCAD, but I think that it may just be an old software issue; I will take David up on his kind offer, but in the longer term it may be cheaper to buy a newer version than pay the higher print costs,
Thanks
Dave
John Stevenson01/06/2011 20:39:55
5068 forum posts
3 photos
David, sorry I can't help on this as i don't have or use Autocad but thought it would behave just like any windows programs.

John S.
Jeff Dayman01/06/2011 20:53:20
2356 forum posts
47 photos
I have had great success with PDF995. You can get a free download at www.pdf995.com. Just make sure you click the right download for the free one, there are a number of extra-cost fancier optional ones on the site.

This utility works fine from several CAD programs as a printer pick, and also from Word and Excel as well.

Cheap as chips and it has worked for years for me.

JD
Francois Meunier01/06/2011 21:01:59
30 forum posts
6 photos
Hi,
look in the list of printer available in your cad prgm, you should find CutePDF in the list, if properly installed in your computer. You don’t "save" but "print" a file in PDF format, i.e. in your computer. It is exactly why the pdf format was created, and btw the PDF format is in the public domain, and not the property of Adobe.
David Clark 101/06/2011 21:24:17
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi There
Several years ago I used AutoCAD Lite.
I uninstalled the printer driver and installed Adobe acrobat as the printer driver and it worked.
At least I remember it working.
regards david
Gone Away01/06/2011 22:28:32
829 forum posts
1 photos
I'm not familiar with CutePDF but these pdf printers generally all work in the same fashion. They install as a virtual printer in Windows (nothing to do directly with Autocad or any other program per se).

Then, when you print from Autocad (or any other program) the standard print dialogue shows whatever your default printer is but gives you the option of selecting any alternative printers that you have installed. If you choose that option, one of the selections should be the CutePDF printer.

You can (if you wish) make the CutePDF printer the default by going to:

<Start - Settings - Printers & Faxes>

then right-clicking on the CutePDF printer and selecting "Set as default printer"

(That's for XP/2K ... Win7 prides itself on doing everything it possibly can, differently)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate