By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Francois Meunier

Here is a list of all the postings Francois Meunier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bourdon Gauge
16/02/2015 18:27:17

the original patent by Eugène Bourdon for its" tube" and application can be found on the INPI site, base brevets du 19ème siècle.

this a manuscript, hardly readable : 33p of finely hand written text with a few figures, looking really odd.

you can read only, no downloading, but you can order a copy. pretty deceptive!

hope lhe link works ,

http://bases-brevets19e.inpi.fr/Thot/FrmLotDocFrame.asp

Thread: Easy Aero Engine For First Timer
06/01/2014 18:02:53

oscillators are usually proposed to the beginner, but I guess it is a poor way to learn engineering, oscillator even poorly fitted will run, simply increase pressure, fun to to watch but useless as regards learning machining skill. As suggested above, refurbishing an engine, making new piston to close tolerance and getting good compression is IMO far more instructive and not that difficult for a teenager already RC flight fan.
Zephyrin

Thread: Vertical boiler design
04/12/2013 16:58:44

Hi

for a large engine too, I was tempted to build a boiler similar to this one, riveted and soft soldered only, it looks nice and strong, or should I stop to chicken out and go for a brased job ?

**LINK**

Cheers

Zephyrin

Thread: Stevenson valve gear.
06/06/2013 08:52:21

You will find the responses in the late Charlie Dockstader Valve gears simulator programs (still available on the net), you enter your data, yes, the complete valve gear set up of your own loco from the main driver to the valve and piston, and run the program and you will see your loco running before being finished ! there are no approximations or "equivalent eccentric" in it, only exact geometric valve positions during run.

you would be able to change dynamically the data (ie link length, pivot postions or angular setting etc) see their effects on valve events and the diagrams, then tune your dimensions to get the steam distribution you wish as regards advance, cut-off, symetry...

**LINK**

Thread: Expanding worn pistons
16/04/2013 21:27:01

upon heating to red and quenching in oil, your worn piston do hardly enter in the cylinder, amazing, it gives some meat to lap again, the increase in dia was about 0.02 mm for a 25 mm piston, but not not regular, more pronunced on the lower, thinner part, somewhat oval too..., may be not quenched properly.

Zephyrin

Edited By gedeon spilett on 16/04/2013 21:28:25

Thread: Annealled brass
27/03/2013 10:13:12

For a steam boiler, copper and brass will undergo a rapid hardening upon pressure test and later use. Old bits of brased brass parts reharden spontanously in my scrap bin (much less "drill bit snatching" after "a while" , I can't be more precise. Old brass music instruments also, up to the point of crevices on the thinnest parts.

Zephyrin

Thread: Bourdon Gauge
15/02/2013 22:17:41

nice gauge you have, with vacuum too, more akin to a scientific instrument than a boiler gauge. I have one, a boiler gauge, and I use it regularly, a faithful Instrument...not only a mantlepiece curiosity.

Cheers

**LINK**

Thread: Toleranced and open dimensions on drawings
25/01/2013 18:18:51

I can cope with imperfect drawings.
numerous model engineer build great engines that work very well, without any drawings, at most a few sketches on the back of an envelope, and some do blue prints afterwards, which is not the proper way to proceed in industry, but they allow others mates to copy their model, I should therefore like to thank them.
Moreover, these drawings are not set in stone, and are generally adapted to take account of tools and materials available in our workshops (ie Imperials or metric taps and dies ..).

Cheers

Zephyrin

Thread: Valve Springs
17/01/2013 08:21:50

ETW, redesigned and republished 20 years later (24 NOVEMBER 1960 issue, p. 635) his Kiwi engine, with weaker valve springs !
"I am often severely rapped by readers for neglecting to give details of valve springs, but it is difficult to specify essential dimensions, because ultimate strength and durability depend on several factors, including not only the quality and temper of the spring steel, but also the pre-stressing of the material in manufacture. For the best results, some experiment is called for; the springs which have been found satrsfactory are 3/4 in. free length, 5/16 in. outside diameter, by 20 s.w.g., with six complete turns, not including the flattened end turns." ME, 123, p. 635, (issue 3098, 24 Nov. 1960).

I recently did a 10 cc engine (video in my album) and was surprised by the raise in performance with the progressive increase in stiffness of the springs, about 2,2 kg to open the valve now.
Cheers

https://picasaweb.google.com/113249908069844921550

Edited By gedeon spilett on 17/01/2013 08:22:48

Thread: Flat living and workshop dreaming
16/11/2012 09:35:47

Hi

It reminds me of a roll top desk that I recycled into a workshop: once opened, a unimat SL and many hand tools, and after removing the vertical column and the vise and closed (and locked!) the cover, impossible to guess what I was making inside.

I have spent so many pleasant hours with it; I have made many oscillating engines and even a Stuart D10. Not louder than the vacuum cleaner necessary after a turning session to clean the rain of brass swarfs. The motor does not turn the whole day anyway, many machining and fitting sessions are silent and do not prevent listening to music or the radio. Must also avoid spraying and flooding with oil and coolant, a small brush is sufficient.

Clearly, I am a lot more comfortable in my garage now, and I make much larger models, but I have spent with my desktop workshop some of the happiest moment of my life, I was also much much younger...

I still have the Unimat, I will try to find a place for it inside, like in my youth, my garage is getting pretty chilly these days…

cheers

Thread: Non de plumes
12/10/2012 19:51:17

I am very happy to show my engines and my models to other model engineers and other experts even if it is to be criticized, but I do not like to show what I do to people who know me and who know nothing in model engineering and generally laugh at it (poor morons).

so there is nom de plume

Thread: Drawings / Artcles
26/07/2012 12:22:39

In his book "projects for the Unimat", Rex Tingey published drawings an building notes for a 1/16 scale traction engine "Sweet Sixteen", at large a reduced version of Minnie but the engine of his own valveless design. I did it many years ago, replacing the ugly cylinder by a plain reduced version of the minnie cylinder and valve gears, a awkward and minute job I remember..but very happy with the result. you can see a picture in my picasa album

Cheers

**LINK**

Thread: USS Monitor
29/04/2012 21:51:11

Hi

nice engine, surely fascinating to watch running

You can find here an interesting discussion by J Ericsson himself on its Ironclad Monitor and also on the efficiency of its engine and some reasoning on its design. beautiful and dramatic engraving of the vessel and a few plate of the engine too. pages 479 & seq. & plates 48- 52).
it is a huge document but really worth a look.
Contributions to the Centennial Exhibition (1876) by John Ericsson
http://archive.org/details/contributionstoc00eric

Zephyrin

Thread: Lantern Chuck
29/03/2012 07:38:40

Hi Saxalby

Smart & elegant tool you made.

How do you change the protruding length of the screw/bolt ? is the pad on which the head of the screw rests movable ? applying side thrust for forming the end of a long and slender screw is not possible. I did a similar tool of the John Wilding design (in "Using the small lathe" and I have to make a brass sleeve for each length for not getting bent screw, impossible to remove from the tool.

Zephyrin

Thread: How many T-Slots on a Rotary Table, 3,4,6?
06/12/2011 22:35:48
Hi,
with three slots you can mount the three jaw chuck directly without intermediate plate if height under the tool is a problem on a small mill as mine (a X2),

Thread: metric taps
23/11/2011 23:19:21
Hi
Listen my friends, this fellow has just a hole to drill and tap M8.
drill 6.75 to 7.1 according to hardness or drill bits available or tap quality( Carbon steel, HSS, new, worn, Chinese, British...) or type (hand tap, machine, gun, roll, three or four fluted..straight or helicoidal) the discussion is not over !
I agree with JasonB that commercial M8 screws & bolts are smaller than the ISO standard. nuts and bolts found in supermarkets & DIY stores give together a sloppy fit, IMO.
Zephyrin
Thread: Rigidity of X2 Mill
20/11/2011 12:07:59
Hi,
look at the picture from the manual of my X2. it is the piece 39 that makes the column has some flexibility, not the column. it is a simple square in cast iron with a small base and 3 bolts almost in line. you cannot enlarge the base without reducing Y travel
Scraping and cleaning this base and the corresponding surface as you did is the best we can do this this machine, or buy a X3...
cheers
Thread: gas canister threads
08/07/2011 08:54:04
Hi,
the thread is 7/16" x 28 TPI UNEF, ( 11.11 mm x 0.907 mm . the male thread on hte canister is somewhat truncated 10.7 mm.
this is for the camping-gaz disposable canister
I recently did an adapter by screwcutting the closest thead possible on my lathe (0.918 mm), which fits quite well, tolerances are not that tight.
taps are available at "Rotagrip" on the internet.
cheers
Zephyrin
Thread: Converting CAD files to PDF
01/06/2011 21:01:59
Hi,
look in the list of printer available in your cad prgm, you should find CutePDF in the list, if properly installed in your computer. You don’t "save" but "print" a file in PDF format, i.e. in your computer. It is exactly why the pdf format was created, and btw the PDF format is in the public domain, and not the property of Adobe.
Thread: French Model Engineer
28/04/2011 21:02:20
hi,
You can find small amount of metal here :
1) l'Octant
www.octantenligne.com
2) Tartaix ( brass and copper)
www.tartaix.com
3) weber métaux
(a large variety of metals, and centrifugically cast iron, a first class stuff)
www.weber-france.com
4) Sidermeca also, www.sidermeca.com/
sell metals “matières premières” cut from bar stock in the required amount

however, I have no address for castings, it’s a pity
we don’t have here a dedidated trade for model engineers.
I also order At CES without problems, but for heavy items.
(I ordered last week small loco wheels at Walsall Model Industries in UK,
no faster deliveries and no better quality, amazing)
Cheers

Zephyrin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate