Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

I had to smile …

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan08/09/2023 19:30:48
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

This is the “dual language “ labelling on the ticket collection machine at Prestayn Railway Station:

img_8847.jpeg

MichaelG.

Next big news is the introduction of 20mph speed limits, from 17 September 2023

… You have been warned !!

Ady108/09/2023 19:45:45
6137 forum posts
893 photos

We''ve had 20MPH for a few years in Edinburgh, the police are only really interested in the National rules (30 etc)

About one in 6 drivers bother about them

Camera enforcement would be a different kettle of fish

It would be nice if they could keep bikes on public walkways under 30MPH, now that WOULD be genuinely useful for the public

Edited By Ady1 on 08/09/2023 19:48:17

duncan webster08/09/2023 19:59:03
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Before HSBC took over, the bank in Bala had Banc Midland Bank emblazoned on it. I kept telling Welsh colleagues 'I'm not that stupid, only put up translations when it's not obvious'. If by the time you've driven 20 miles over the border you haven't worked out that 'araf' means slow perhaps you shouldn't be driving! As I was working in North Wales I made a feeble attempt to learn the language. It's fiendishly difficult, just proves that Welsh speakers are super intelligent, they are all bi-lingual. And that old thing about them being unfriendly is total tosh, I found them just as friendly as anyone else, when I sat in with a local brass band they switched to English for my benefit

Michael Gilligan08/09/2023 20:14:50
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

img_8848.jpeg

old mart08/09/2023 20:35:24
4655 forum posts
304 photos

The dual language road signs probably contribute to increased accidents. We had a Welsh volunteer at the museum, who lived in Weston Super Mare and he was always miffed to find that his bus pass would not work in Wales.

As for PIN, that is an acronym in English which has not been translated at all.

Edited By old mart on 08/09/2023 20:41:16

Michael Gilligan08/09/2023 20:49:48
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by old mart on 08/09/2023 20:35:24:

[…]

… PIN should of course be capitalised, which they failed to do in either language version

But what really amused me was the English-only device.

MichaelG.

Robin Graham08/09/2023 21:46:05
1089 forum posts
345 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 08/09/2023 20:49:48:
Posted by old mart on 08/09/2023 20:35:24:

[…]

… PIN should of course be capitalised, which they failed to do in either language version

But what really amused me was the English-only device.

MichaelG.

Presumably everything subsequent was in English as well? Easier to change the label on the machine than the software.

Last time I was in Wales I shopped at a supermarket which had dual-language aisle signage. English: Desserts. Welsh: Pwdins. I don['t speak Welsh, but that's wrong isn't it?

Robin.

duncan webster08/09/2023 22:03:16
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Pwdinau I think. I'm wide open to correction

vic newey09/09/2023 08:57:39
347 forum posts
173 photos
Posted by Ady1 on 08/09/2023 19:45:45:

It would be nice if they could keep bikes on public walkways under 30MPH, now that WOULD be genuinely useful for the public

----------------------

It would be better still if police actually enforced the illegal cycling on pavements and pedestrianised areas but they would rather chase cars. Cyclists seem to think it's o.k to power along footpaths, speeding up behind you with no warning as they hurtle past.

Robert Atkinson 209/09/2023 11:44:24
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Never mind cyclists illegal E-scooters and E-bikes are a growing menace with low enforcement. Any E-bike that is not an official hire scheme is illegal in any public place in the UK. Same offence as driving a car without licence or insuurance.
The E-bikes are a bit less obvious in their illegality. I'm talking mostly about the moped style ones popular with food delivery riders. To be legal without licence, insurance, helmet etc they should only provide electric assistance when being pedalled and at speeds less than 15.5 MPH (was 15 MPH but changed to match 25 KPH). Note that this means no hand throttle. They are moto assisted pedal bikes not electric motor bikes. At least one popular brand used by delivery riders is actually desigined and approved as an electric motor bike. To allow use as an E-bike without licence etc they modify them in the UK. This includes removing the twist throttle. However they ship the bike with all the removed parts in the box and have guides on their website on how to refit them. If you see one without a numberplate and helmet running without peddling or at over 15.5 MPH it's illegal. Enforcement seems non-exsitent though.

duncan webster09/09/2023 12:52:40
5307 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by vic newey on 09/09/2023 08:57:39:
Posted by Ady1 on 08/09/2023 19:45:45:

----------------------

It would be better still if police actually enforced the illegal cycling on pavements and pedestrianised areas but they would rather chase cars. Cyclists seem to think it's o.k to power along footpaths, speeding up behind you with no warning as they hurtle past.

Depends on where you live. A major road near me has a cycle lane which is far too narrow. Unless you ride over the gullies you can't really stay in it. Next to it is a very wide footpath, and you never see anyone walking on it (no houses that side). Why prosecute a cyclist for using it? On the dual carriageway just before , where the limit is 40 mph, there is a proper cycle path separated from the road, but cycles almost always stay on the road. Why? I don't hate cyclists, indeed I cycled back and to to work for many years, but I do agree, they should use lights, few do, don't wear dark clothing late at night, have a mirror so you know if someone is behind you, have a bell so you can warn pedestrians. Don't blame Mr Plod, they are so overwhelmed with dealing with social problems, and paperwork, that it's not surprising they simply don't have the manpower.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate