Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

What is this rule used for

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Speedy Builder515/08/2023 15:02:48
2878 forum posts
248 photos

I cam across this rule n with a load of clock making tools, but suspect it got there by something unconnected ??

Its a plastic rule with 2 scales one in cm/mm and the other in inches and 1/16".

At one end is a clear plastic 'reticule' with a raised point in t5he centre. The reticule can rotate 360 degrees in the body of the rule. At the same end, the end of the rule is marked in degrees 0 - 75 in 15 degree increments. At the other end, there is a mark to indicate the centre line of the rule.

A clear lockable/sliding plastic cursor can be positioned up and down the scale and there are two "pencil point " holes that are 1" apart. By pressing down on the reticule and inserting a pencil in one of the hole, an arc can be swung once the cursor was locked in position.

By locating the reticule on to a point on a line, the rule can be swung to an angular position and a line drawn through its origin.

The maker was TRIMAN Ltd ref 1001

So what was its intended use ?

rule.jpeg

Mark Simpson 115/08/2023 15:36:09
115 forum posts
30 photos

Something very similar is still on sale from Ajax Scientific and others, it's a ruler, compass and protractor all in one... Aimed at middle school children apparently...

search for TRIMAN OPAQUE RULER/COMPASS in your search engine of choice...

I guess it's American

Edited By Mark Simpson 1 on 15/08/2023 15:36:21

KWIL15/08/2023 15:36:27
3681 forum posts
70 photos

**LINK**

Product Features:

• You can draw circles, triangles and straight lines with this unique 4-in-1 drawing compass/ruler, construct, copy and read angles, measure and convert inches and centimeters, and create patterns
  • To use the compass, pinch and slide the cursor to the desired position and lock it, place your finger on the transparent swivel disk, place your pencil point in one of the two cursor holes and draw a circle. Inch markings to 4.3″ (11 cm)
  • Compass comes in solid opaque
Speedy Builder515/08/2023 16:00:10
2878 forum posts
248 photos

that is that one solved - mental note - Must start drawing more triangles !

Thank you gents.

Michael Gilligan15/08/2023 18:16:50
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Given where you found it … I think it might be worth exploring whether it could be a convenient aid to sketching the layout of clock wheel trains.

MichaelG..

JasonB15/08/2023 18:29:09
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I used to have one of those when I was at school, may have just used it for geometry (maths) work.

I suppose these days it should be safer than a compass if not as good.

Russell Eberhardt15/08/2023 20:15:44
2785 forum posts
87 photos
Posted by JasonB on 15/08/2023 18:29:09:

I suppose these days it should be safer than a compass if not as good.

smileysmiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate