Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

NVR Issues

NVR Switch no longer staying on...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
IanT25/07/2023 23:31:11
2147 forum posts
222 photos

Recently, I was using the Myford and everything was fine. I'd turned the lathe off to change something and when I went to turn it back on, the lathe spun up but died as soon as I removed my finger from the green 'On' button. So I removed the NVR switch and wired the lathe direcly to a 13A plug and switched it on. The lathe started normally as far as I could tell and ran OK.

Assuming the 'on' coil might be damaged (in the NVR switch) I found another switch on Ebay and ordered a replacement. It arrived yesterday and I fitted it this morning. No change, the fault remains the same. Had a think about this and decided that the emergency stop button hadn't been eliminated, so went down later and removed that from the circuit by shorting it's wires together. Nothing changed.

So I'm back to wondering about the motor. It's a centrifugal switch (not capacitor start) kind and I can hear it click out as the power is removed but the 'on' coil must be unhappy about something.

Any thoughts or suggestions for further tests? I've had this NVR switch fitted for some years now, so something has clearly changed. Think I probably got it from Axminster but it was a while ago now but the NVR (KJD17) switch itself is pretty generic...

Regards,

IanT

NVR switch 1 - 150812.jpg

David George 126/07/2023 07:50:56
2110 forum posts
565 photos

It sounds like a wireing problem with the NVR switch. On some switches you hsve to put in a link from live to coil power and it is possible the wire has a break inside insulation. Check wiring diagram and wires end to end.

David

Emgee26/07/2023 07:56:43
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Have you checked any limit switches fitted for correct operation, such as a chuck guard switch ?

Emgee

DC31k26/07/2023 08:10:47
1186 forum posts
11 photos

Wire old and new NVR switches into a lightbulb and verify their correct operation or confirm dead with red and green buttons.

Also verify NVR capability by turning off and back on at the wall socket.

IanT26/07/2023 08:35:32
2147 forum posts
222 photos

Doubt it's a wiring problem as the NVR has been fine for some years and was working OK just before the problem occured. It's a Mk1 Super 7, so no limit switches etc are fitted connection is direct to the motor.

I'll connect the NVR to a different load and see if it shows the same fault. Just off to see our newest Granddaughter today and it's a long round trip, so this will have to wait until tomorrow now. I'll report back then...

Thanks for help everyone.

Regards,

IanT

noel shelley26/07/2023 09:33:56
2308 forum posts
33 photos

The stop button and emergency stop are a NC contact check this. Many after market NVRs are not of the highest quality or built to industrial standards. If you think the motor is at fault then check both start and run windings for continuity, then run thhe motor (lathe ) for a while and let it warm up. If the motor is OK then it can only be a simple fault. Broken wire, loose screw or terminal, incorrect wiring or a faulty NVR, check all wiring from the plug to the motor. Good Luck, Noel.

Samsaranda26/07/2023 09:50:45
1688 forum posts
16 photos

Had the same problem with my Champion mill last week, motor would only run with the green button on the NVR held in. Changed the NVR but the same problem, eventually found that the problem was with chuck guard micro switch. Dave W

Robert Atkinson 226/07/2023 10:32:57
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Any chance of a picture of the rear of the NVR/E-Stop and wiring?
I could be thet the neutrl link to the NVR coil is broken. Another possibility is coil failure on original NVR and it had an internal link for coil but the replacement NVR requires an external link for the coil.

Robert.

Nicholas Farr26/07/2023 11:09:48
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi IanT, if the motor runs while holding the green button down, or that you have wired it directly, then I very much doubt there is anything wrong with the motor. The start/stop button is not latching, and I agree with what Robert has said.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 26/07/2023 11:10:10

IanT31/07/2023 13:00:45
2147 forum posts
222 photos

Sorry for delay, been off-line for a few days busy with trips away etc.

I did manage to fugure this out. The original NVR switch had four connections, two inputs and two outputs. The coil was simply across the output connections (live & neutral) so that when the green button was pressed, the coil latched. In my set-up there is also an emergency botton, which was originally wired in series with the live input.

The new NVR switch has five connections, apparently the same as the original four connector version but with the addittion of an 'A1' pin. I was somewhat misled by an older thread (on another forum) suggesting this pin was an "optional" connection for some types of motors. That is certainly not true of my switch.

I metered (tested resistance) across all connections on both switches. I could still 'see' the coil across the ouput connections on the old switch (so it had not gone open circuit) but it was clearly no longer functional.

When I looked at the new switch, it became obvious that the coil was just wired across the 'A1' and one O/P connector. I connected the mains (live & neutral) to the two I/P connectors and the motor to the matching O/P connectors. A connection was then made from 'A1' ( via the emergency switch) to the coil side of the O/P. This is probably an improvement on the original set-up, as the emergency switch is now in series with the coil, rather than the full motor current. I haven't named the connectors, as my switch numbering appears to be different to others mentioned elsewhere. The key is to establish where the coil is connected and wire up accordingly.

The new set-up now works exactly as before and the old NVR switch has been consigned to the bin.

Regards,

IanT

Edited By IanT on 31/07/2023 13:02:15

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate