Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Colour of Machines and Workshop Efficiency

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Crow09/07/2023 12:04:47
429 forum posts
268 photos

Apologies if this link has already been posted.

Steve

Bill Davies 209/07/2023 13:22:24
357 forum posts
13 photos

All the machines where I worked were green or grey, to the extent that I've never wanted green in my life subsequently. The walls were green, too."Restful" was the supposed logic in the use of green. Although, as a chind, older peoples' kitchens were always painted green or brown (or two-tone both).

Bill

Samsaranda09/07/2023 13:48:39
1688 forum posts
16 photos

I remember that when I was in the Forces, rooms were predominantly painted Eau de Nil as it was psychologically supposed to be the most relaxing colour. Can’t stand that colour now. Dave W

Dave Wootton09/07/2023 15:27:08
505 forum posts
99 photos

I worked at a small engineering works which had some old but wonderful machines, Holbrooks, Thiel mills, and other quality machines in there original paint. We all went away for two weeks for the annual shutdown, returning to find the new so called " Millwright" had daubed all the machines in the shop I worked in a hideous mid blue, his idea of an overhaul. I can still recall the horror on entering the workshop on the first morning back, and the look of thunder on the works managers face. The change of colour and the pitiable appearance of the machines really put me off the job and changed the whole outlook of the working environment, I left soon after. Since that time I've had a horror of machines repainted in mid blue!

larry phelan 109/07/2023 17:26:59
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Perhaps Mr Ford got it right when he said, "You can have any colour you like, as long as it,s black "

I dont see why the colour should be an issue ,but I would prefer something easy on the eye

Most of the old machines I ever saw were painted black, sure to get you off to a good start on a cold morning.

My own lathe is painted a sand colour, which is easy enough to live with, not so keen on those red or blue, or green ones..

Ady109/07/2023 17:33:58
6137 forum posts
893 photos

The cockpits of spitfires were green because you stayed calmer with that colour around you as bullets knocked lumps from your aircraft

Allegedly

john fletcher 109/07/2023 17:51:46
893 forum posts

Well when I was in the forces all the tents were the same colour, bleached, and the flies were like sparrows. John

Chris Pearson 109/07/2023 17:56:48
189 forum posts
3 photos

When I am machining something, I tend to look either at the cutting tool or the dials (I do not have a DRO), so the colour is immaterial.

The walls of my workshop are magnolia, or something approaching it. I feel sure that a light colour is appropriate for better lighting.

Any study of this type needs to be very well controlled to avoid a Hawthorne effect.

Vic09/07/2023 18:39:24
3453 forum posts
23 photos

When I worked as a car mechanic it was easier seeing what you were doing under the bonnet of a white car. I therefore agree with the sentiment in the article. I like the slightly off white of some machines and pale green is nice as well.

Mid blue is for Record Vices and nothing else! laugh

Bazyle09/07/2023 19:42:45
6956 forum posts
229 photos

While I like to repaint a machine in a close approximation to original I also include a significant area in a very non standard colour to deter thieves. It might detract from its resale value - until I point out the reason. If I could easily paint polka dots that would be good.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate