By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Nut sizes imperial measurements, disorientation!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Edward Lewsey23/02/2023 10:21:09
8 forum posts
1 photos

Hello,

As you can tell new to the hobby, I have always love railways and when it came time to consider building my own model railway as I did when younger the thought struck me why was I building an electric version of a steam locomotive in 00 gauge, when I could run an actual steam locomotive!

To this end I have taken the plunge and got myself a small 5" tank loco. Very old and looking forward to tinkering.

My local club is really helpful but I don't want to keep bothering them with my questions! Was wondering if I could bother all of you instead!!

I'm 35 so have grown up in a metric world. Hardest part of this so far is wrapping my head around imperial measurements (1 8th?)

My actual question is (I think) fairly simple and maybe if someone elaborates a bit on the answer the whole imperial world would make more sense to me.

I need to buy a blanking plug, this will be for a T piece that I want to inset in the water feed for a future planned tender.

The copper piping on the engine is all 3/16 OD. The threading all appears to be 32T. I was going to buy a 3/16 T piece to use.

What size brass blanking plug should I buy for the end I am not yet using. I can't seem to find any which are listed as 3/16...

Would anyone be able to offer an opinion? Sorry if this is such a basic question, and I'm sure there is a really easy obvious answer but any help appreciated! Even if I do not go ahead with the plan, understanding this a bit more would be helpful!

Thanks, Ed

JasonB23/02/2023 19:20:57
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I'm not sure I have ever seen a blanking plug for the typical type of pipe fittings used on model engines.

If you buy a commercially made Tee fitting for 3/16" pipework it will have make threads on the fitting to take nuts which draw a Ferrule or nipple into tapered sockets in the fitting.

Your options would be to solder a piece of 3/16 diameter brass, bronze or copper into the unused nipple rather than a piece of copper tube or if you have a lathe make a nipple without a hole in it

Edward Lewsey23/02/2023 19:31:51
8 forum posts
1 photos

That's a good point thanks, I was just chatting to someone about this and they pointed out that what I would need is actually a cap fitting, not a blanking plug which is why as you mention they are not about.

The tee fitting has a male thread, and a cap would have a female thread!

Weary23/02/2023 19:35:29
421 forum posts
1 photos

Deleted post.

Edited By Weary on 23/02/2023 19:37:20

Edited By Weary on 23/02/2023 19:38:01

Edited By Weary on 23/02/2023 19:53:17

JasonB23/02/2023 19:38:01
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

The thread is likely to be 5/16" x 32tpi which is the norm on 3/16" pipe fittings

I've seen caps but not in that size

Weary23/02/2023 19:47:05
421 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Jason,

Re: Threads:

Yep - of course. More speed = less haste (on my part) & more confusion. I've deleted my post to avoid further confusion.

Apologies all round - don't post often & now you know why not!!

Ta.

Phil

Edited By Weary on 23/02/2023 19:52:16

duncan webster23/02/2023 22:50:52
5307 forum posts
83 photos

If the tee has nuts and olives you can put a ball bearing in instead of the olive and seal up the branch. I might have misunderstood the question of course. Use a non rusting ball obviously

Jeff Dayman24/02/2023 02:58:07
2356 forum posts
47 photos

Edward, for conversions from Imperial fractions, just convert the fraction to decimal inches then multiply by 25.4.

Example: for 1/8" first do 1 divided by 8, this is .125", .125 x 25.4 = 3.175 mm

David George 124/02/2023 08:05:20
2110 forum posts
565 photos

I have a large poster like sheet hanging on the wall in my workshop. It came from Tracy Tools and is invaluable as one side has all the inch, imperial and metric sizes and on the other is all the usual thread sizes pitches and taping sizes etc. My one was from a exhibition where they were selling tooling, somthing like this is invaluable I don't know if they sell them perhaps worth a call.

David

mick H24/02/2023 08:38:34
795 forum posts
34 photos

Sounds like a very useful poster David, but if like me you do not have room for it, "Drills, Taps and Dies" by Tubal Cain in the Workshop Practice Series is an excellent read with an abundance of data in the appendices.

Mick

Howard Lewis24/02/2023 09:56:08
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Assuming the the Tee piece has three externak threads,

Instead of a blanking plug why not put a ball bearing into a nut and screw that bontonmthe Tee piece.

This is quite a normal procedure in industry.

Howard

ALLAN QURASHI24/02/2023 11:01:26
24 forum posts
4 photos

Hello Edward, welcome to the hobby.

I use a great thread size chart that I'm sure you'll be dead chuffed with. And it's a pdf so you don't need a big wall to pin it to.

Unfortunately the posting page here tells me it doesn't support pasting links in when I try. Worse still it doesn't tell me what it DOES support....and the pasting icons don't do it, so here's a talk through;

Go to haugfasteners.co.uk. Then click on 'bolting guides' then click on the top one ( guide to screw threads). It's a pdf so you can save yourself a copy. And; credit & thanks to Hauge for producing this chart.

Good luck, Allan

JasonB24/02/2023 11:07:02
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Link to above though it does not include ME threads so not much use in this case.

If you do try the ball bearing option be very careful not to strip the threads as with a 1/4" ball you don't get much more than a turn of thread engagement

Michael Gilligan24/02/2023 11:09:11
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

It took me a little while to spot your typo Allan … but thanks for the info. yes

**LINK**

https://www.haguefasteners.co.uk/pdf/Screw-Threads.pdf

MichaelG.

Edit: __ Jason got there first.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 24/02/2023 11:10:17

Trevor Drabble24/02/2023 12:43:21
339 forum posts
7 photos

Edward , Why not check with your preferred fittings supplier that their tee pieces and elbows are fully compatible ? Initially fit an elbow , and then simply exchange it for a tee piece as and when required .

Trevor

duncan webster24/02/2023 16:18:20
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Or buy a spare olive and solder a piece of 3/16 brass or copper into it to blank it off. Soft solder would be fine, it's on the feed side

Harry Wilkes24/02/2023 18:59:19
1613 forum posts
72 photos

You might consider buying some M.E taps and die's you could say tap a piece of brass to fit onto your tee piece

H

Edward Lewsey24/02/2023 20:57:02
8 forum posts
1 photos

Wow thanks for the responses this is great information.

I like all the suggestions, as I'd like to get running quickly I might fit an elbow temporarily and replace later. As I'm starting to work out how to use a lathe I might try and machine a cap from some hex bar as a small project.

The ball bearing idea sounds effective, although I am still quite ham-fisted so would probably overtighten it!

Tracey Tools looks like a useful place, I will need to look up the differences between plug tap, second tap, a die CS and an HSS tap!

Edited By Edward Lewsey on 24/02/2023 20:57:50

Bdog50725/02/2023 07:48:43
38 forum posts
Posted by Edward Lewsey on 24/02/2023 20:57:02:

Tracey Tools looks like a useful place, I will need to look up the differences between plug tap, second tap, a die CS and an HSS tap!

Edited By Edward Lewsey on 24/02/2023 20:57:50

Good morning all.

Tracy tools are an excellent bunch, and their taps and dies are very good quality.

Hand taps come in a set of three. Taper, second, and plug. Each tap has progressively less taper on the thread cutting section. The idea is that one starts with a taper tap, then moving on to the second tap, and finishing with a plug tap. Which is the best method when threading a blind hole.

A die is for cutting external threads. CS stands for Carbon steel, and HSS stands for high speed steel. I would recommend that you use HSS taps and dies, particularly for the threads you cut often.

Screw threads are an absolute minefield. Being ancient I grew up in an imperial world, but having been fiddling with mainly Japanese motorcycles for over 45 years I pretty soon got the hang of metric measurements, and screw threads, but I can work with both metric and imperial as the need arises.

I've always thought that Joseph Whitworth must be turning in his grave! His Whitworth thread was about standardization, and we're no where near it......and couldn't one just punch the Yanks! The US were using a mixture of Whit and metric threads so pick one! NO! "We want our own"! Hence the Sellers thread, UNC and UNF as it's known.

Jeff Dayman's suggestion is an excellent one. If you can remember that an 1/8th of an inch is 3.175mm it'll serve you well when it comes to converting imperial measurements into metric.

A 16th which is 1.5875mm sank in with me either at school of when I was an apprentice, and I've used it on countless occasions over the years. My lathe has metric dials, and although my Mill has imperial dials I generally use the DRO with it set to metric. So when a customer comes in with a drawing of something they want made with inch measurements I grab the calculator and do a quick conversion.

Here's a question for all members. There's a thread that most of the population have encountered at some point which is completely unique. Which one s it?

Cheers.

Stewart.

Howard Lewis25/02/2023 16:52:08
7227 forum posts
21 photos

At one worlplace, I came across UNS and UNEF.

But fuel injection pump manufactire is not for most of the population.

And you can find some unusual metric threads on pumps made by other manufacturers.

How about the left hand threads used oin vacuum cleaner motors to refain the impellers?

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate