Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Broken Newall C80

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Wooding01/02/2023 10:58:20
1074 forum posts
290 photos

I fitted a Newall Microsyn system with a C80 3-axis DRO to my Centec 2B in 2005. It started behaving strangely just before last Christmas: it started making chirping sounds - just like a little bird asking for food. For a week or so I thought it was a little bird just outside my cellar workshop. It was a little annoying, but that was all, until the Z-axis display started to reset to zero. I'd set a Z value only to find that a short time later it had been reset to zero. Sometimes it reset after a few seconds, sometimes it took several minutes, but it seemed always to coincide with a chirp.

I phoned Newall who suggested that the chirping noise was the same as the keypress noise. They then said it sounds like a keypad problem, but now that the C80 has been discontinued they no longer have spares for it. The best they could offer was a discount on their current DRO, the DP700 unit, for £703!!!

Up until now I've been pleased with the Newall system, but am now appalled that, despite being in a hobbyists workshop, it has survived only 15 years of very light use.

Is there anyone out there that knows anything about the C80 and can suggest a solution?

A friend suggested that condensation caused by my cellar could be the culprit, so I removed the DRO and warmed it slightly near a radiator for a day or so. It had no effect. I've tried swapping the scale leads around, but it's always the Z reading that gets reset to zero.

Can anybody help please? I really can't afford £700 for a new unit.

KWIL01/02/2023 11:55:44
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Fortunately my C80s continue to work OK. Internal battery to maintain CMOS might be a problem but why only the Z axix?

noel shelley01/02/2023 12:05:25
2308 forum posts
33 photos

A capacitor breaking down ? A dry solder joint ? A CAREFUL study of the unit with the lid off MAY indicate where the noise is coming from and thereby the faulty component. Bear in mind that there WILL be mains voltages inside, so on powering up be careful what you touch with bear fingers ! Noel.

HOWARDT01/02/2023 12:43:10
1081 forum posts
39 photos

You could try these, Goodwin Precision, not used them and no affiliation just looked on their site occasionally.

Les Riley01/02/2023 12:50:33
48 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by HOWARDT on 01/02/2023 12:43:10:

You could try these, Goodwin Precision, not used them and no affiliation just looked on their site occasionally.

I have used them to repair a readout box a few years ago. From memory it was a fixed price whatever was wrong.

It wasn't a Newall system but they offer to fix any. I telephoned first to check what was what and after a few questions about the item, they said yes they could fix it.

It was a good prompt service and I would use them again. The DRO is still in use.

Les

Oldiron01/02/2023 14:24:28
1193 forum posts
59 photos

It might be worth contacting EEC LTD who claim to be able to repair older DRO's. Nothing to loose by trying them.

I have no connection to them but they seem to be one of the only companies that deal with Newall repairs.

regards

Robert Atkinson 201/02/2023 18:11:35
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Unfortunatly it looks like the C80 uses a membrane keyboard. These are custom made and hard to repair.
Does the X selct button work reliably?
Does it look or feel different to other keys?
Does it work then the chirping is happening?

It it does sound like a faulty keyboard. There may be fixes but not pretty.

Robert G8RPI.

Gary Wooding01/02/2023 18:50:38
1074 forum posts
290 photos

Noel: It uses an external power supplying 15v.

Oldirn: I contacted EEC via their email system, but had no response.

HowardT: Goodwin seem promising with a no-fix no-fee of £125, plus shipping of £15. I'll try them if another plan fails.

Gary Wooding10/02/2023 10:23:26
1074 forum posts
290 photos

The overwhelming consensus was that the keypad had failed, and was no longer available. One very helpful guy said he had an old keypad from a similar display that had failed with a fault unrelated to the keypad. He was willing to send it to me to try out. £60 if it worked, send it back if not, which seemed a good deal. I agreed and waited for the parcel to arrive. After a few days the guy phoned to ask if it had worked, but the package hadn't arrived. He phoned again a couple of days later to say that the package had been located in a storage unit and would be delivered by the end of the week.It eventually arrived two days ago. 8 days late.

In the meantime the DRO had been languishing in my study for 8 days. Nicely tucked up near a a radiator. Before opening it to replace the keypad I decided to have one last try on the mill. It worked! I waited an hour or so and it continued to work fine. The next morning it was still working, so I phoned the guy. He reckoned that the prolonged stay in a dry, warmish, area had dried out some moisture that had affected the keypad. He said to keep the replacement keypad for a few weeks and to return it if it turned out to be not needed after all. No charge!! A true knight.

As of this morning it's still working fine. I'm leaving it switched on permanently from now on.

John Hinkley10/02/2023 11:17:46
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Glad to hear your problem is resolved, Gary. Even better, that you let us all know it was! So often, pleas for assistance are responded to but we don't get to hear whether the replies were any use.

John

Dave Halford10/02/2023 14:17:19
2536 forum posts
24 photos
Posted by Gary Wooding on 10/02/2023 10:23:26:

As of this morning it's still working fine. I'm leaving it switched on permanently from now on.

What about running the leds 24/7?

SillyOldDuffer10/02/2023 14:51:45
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Posted by Gary Wooding on 01/02/2023 10:58:20:

Up until now I've been pleased with the Newall system, but am now appalled that, despite being in a hobbyists workshop, it has survived only 15 years of very light use.

Glad to hear drying the keypad out fixed it. It suggests condensation was to blame. Therefore the fault may be due to being in a light use hobbyists workshop, not despite it! It's because condensation is notorious for messing up electronics and home workshops often suffer from it.

In addition to corrosion, condensation creates conductive tracks that drive circuits wild. Sometimes the fault disappears when the wet dries out, other times the track causes delicate electronics to pop beyond economic repair.

Less likely to happen in a professional shop because equipment is usually on, they don't put up with damp, and there's warmth and ventilation. Maybe your workshop needs attention? Mine is well-behaved, but even so light rust appears over winter and batteries quickly go flat.

Dave

Gary Wooding10/02/2023 16:09:49
1074 forum posts
290 photos

My workshop is in an unheated cellar in an old Victorian house. It's not noticeably damp but very light rust does show after several months. I have had another DRO (from M-DRO) on my lathe for over 12 years. I never switch it off and the LED display is still fine.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate