Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Frost warning

look out for your boilers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bazyle09/12/2022 17:43:21
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Our club sec at St Albans DMES sent round a timely (ok one day late) warning to make sure to drain down boilers, even little ones, that are in sheds and garages and even lofts.
yes it is worth your while going back out there tonight, or pop a light bulb heater under it.

JohnF09/12/2022 20:39:03
1243 forum posts
202 photos

Another item to consider is a pressure washer ! I know of two that were ruined by frost -- not mine !

John

Ady110/12/2022 03:10:01
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Back in the 80s we had an apple split itself open in the car one year

Speedy Builder510/12/2022 07:00:03
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Preferably run your engine on air to drain injector tubes, water feed pumps etc, and don't forget the hand pump and side tanks if you have them.

David George 110/12/2022 08:30:30
2110 forum posts
565 photos

Watch the outlet for your boiler if you have a condensing boiler as if the condensate drain freezes the boiler can flood and cut out. NO HEAT.

David

Clive India10/12/2022 09:57:50
277 forum posts

I'm not draining anything - it's not a problem in England in a reasonably insulated workshop, even without heat.

Nick Clarke 310/12/2022 19:30:53
1607 forum posts
69 photos

In an unheated engine shed pressure gauges are uncoupled to avoid the chance of water in the syphon expanding on freezing and causing damage

peak410/12/2022 21:39:04
2207 forum posts
210 photos

I had my hot water hand wash heater burst/leak last year; think a smaller version of an electric shower.
Fortunately, it blew the head off a self tapper, rather than splitting the plastic, so I was able to drill it out with a carbide bit on the high speed Meddings, and re-tap for some threaded rod.
I think that was probably caused by freezing water expanding.
I've just been out to that workshop, turned off the water feed, opened the adjacent cold hose pipe tap and the hand washer taps, and blown the standing water through by lung pressure.

You can see in the photo, the missing screw head and the gasket blown out.

Bust a Gasket.

Bill

Mike Poole10/12/2022 22:23:31
3676 forum posts
82 photos

RAF Benson hit -9°C, about 4 miles from me. The frost has persisted all day in the shade. My wife is caning the heating.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate