Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Making a simple part for a friend

Rim straightener

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steviegtr05/10/2022 04:16:28
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Making a part for a mate of mine. Deleted by Mods. Keep the personal stuff off the forum.

Steve.

Edited By JasonB on 05/10/2022 10:25:06

Oldiron05/10/2022 09:45:19
1193 forum posts
59 photos

I would not worry about a few rough comments Steve. It does not matter where, why or by whom it is made it will never be the correct way in some peoples eyes. You Tube and forums exist for the sole purpose of letting people moan about the way others work. Whether it be cleaning, painting, machining,woodworking, metal working, welding, spelling or grammar etc etc some smart alek always knows a better, quicker, safer or cheaper way to do it.

regards

Oldiron05/10/2022 10:37:30
1193 forum posts
59 photos

Seems strange that the same group of people that pick on Steve have deleted part of his comment. Censorship at its best

regards

JasonB05/10/2022 10:47:40
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

OldironI was actually in two minds as to whether to let it go but as other members had reported the post due to it's personal comments that confirmed my feeling that what was said had no place on the forum. The reports were not by those mentioned in the post.

Just to be sure here is something Neil wrote:

I will reiterate the forum code of conduct:

• Swearing It can be offensive and it can also mean that some members can't use the site from work. If you really must use swear words please use asterisks.
  • Being abusive or making personal attacks If you wouldn't say something to someone's face then it doesn't belong on the forum.
  • Impersonating other members
  • Hijacking and wilfully destroying threads The forum's a big place and thread titles and descriptions are there to help you filter what you're interested in, so please let more serious threads run broadly on topic.
SillyOldDuffer05/10/2022 11:18:32
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Over breakfast I also thought of removing part of Steve's post but gave it the benefit of the doubt, which I now think was a mistake. My concern was exactly the same as Jason's: a breach of the forum's Code of Conduct. As Jason has received complaints about the post, he did the right thing.

Dave

Oldiron05/10/2022 12:46:51
1193 forum posts
59 photos

As far as I could see there was nothing abusive about Steves comment. He mearly asked certain people not to comment as when they did it was usually negative, disparaging or rude.

regards

Ian Hewson05/10/2022 13:06:40
354 forum posts
33 photos

Agree with oldiron.

Michael Gilligan05/10/2022 13:21:45
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

+1

Sometimes enough is enough, and [as I interpreted it] all Steve did was call-out previous transgressions.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 05/10/2022 13:22:51

JasonB05/10/2022 13:27:16
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

+2 I would also agree it was not abusive but it was personal.

Oldiron05/10/2022 13:35:15
1193 forum posts
59 photos

Do you not think that some of the comments by people on Steves earlier posts were personal ?. They were not deleted as far as I can see.

regards

JasonB05/10/2022 14:17:47
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

From both Dave's and my earlier post you should be able to see that we allow a bit of give and take but as others also felt that his comment was not what is wanted on the forum and reported the post it was deleted as was another post in this thread by one of the named members. I've also deleted posts in other threads of Steve's as I felt fit.

It's a case of not being able to do what all want, either please those who reported the post or please some who are posting here. If Steve has a problem with comments by those individuals then he would be best to make use of the "ignore Member" option.

Steviegtr05/10/2022 19:43:11
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Quite on the contrary.

I actually do not mind any comments good or bad.

What i do know is i am only a Hammer chewer at all this. So i guess anyone that is a Pro is bound to find my video's

Sub standard ,so to speak.

Anyway to all that don't mind them then thanks for watching.

Steve.

Jon Lawes05/10/2022 19:48:35
1078 forum posts

Being a Mod is a thankless task, which I'm glad I don't do. Basically any action or inaction will annoy half the forum.

Dalboy06/10/2022 09:57:50
1009 forum posts
305 photos

As far as I can see the explanation of Jason's post was all that was needed and all the other posts seem to fall under the " Hijacking and wilfully destroying threads The forum's a big place and thread titles and descriptions are there to help you filter what you're interested in, so please let more serious threads run broadly on topic.".

It is not easy for someone to stand in front of a camera and produce a video so well done on that @Steviegtr.

Bazyle06/10/2022 10:38:19
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Well I think the mods must be doing a pretty good job behind the scenes as I don't see here the swearing or abuse I have seen on other forums. However it is a bit like the people who moan about TV content, if you don't like it don't read the thread or turn off the video. I rarely watch youtube with the sound on (er a necessary mode at work) so maybe miss something.

Nicholas Farr06/10/2022 10:39:10
3988 forum posts
1799 photos
Posted by Derek Lane on 06/10/2022 09:57:50:

cut

It is not easy for someone to stand in front of a camera and produce a video so well done on that @Steviegtr.

Hi, it's a bit nerve racking being recorded for a TV show with a live audience also.

Regards Nick.

SillyOldDuffer06/10/2022 11:07:58
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

It is not easy for someone to stand in front of a camera and produce a video ...

And therein lies the problem! Steve is a talented video maker. His slow Yorkshire delivery is a joy to listen to and adds natural authority: he's convincing. Steve's videos look authoritative but as he mentions in this thread, he rates himself as a "Hammer Chewer". Unfortunately many people watch machining videos in hope of finding out how things should be done properly, which large numbers of internet videos on any subject fail to do! Steve's self-criticism is an exaggeration, but - on his own - Steve isn't the best person to demonstrate workshop best practice on screen. Nor am I! Ideally anything for public consumption should be peer reviewed before publication because it's extremely hard for people to see their own mistakes.

Steve's Bicycle Wheel Rim Straightener video doesn't have any of the common faults, such as wearing gloves or stopping a spinning chuck by hand, and he expresses a reasonable doubt that the tool will cause rippling. There's not much to complain about. I can suggest a few improvements though:

• Steve uses a bit of scrap that might be an old gib. There's an opportunity here to warn beginners that scrap might not machine well, to suggest testing it with a file or saw before risking an expensive end-mill on it, and to discuss suitable materials for the job. I'd suggest Brass or Steel for hardness, with Steel preferred for cheapness. Mild-steel is OK for a one-off, but a hardened steel would be better if several wheels had to be reset. Aluminium is too soft and cast-iron tends to be dirty and brittle etc.
  • Steve misses the chance to explain the difference between climb and conventional milling - he does both.
  • There's another missed opportunity to explain how to choose RPM, Depth of Cut and Feed-rate. Hard to judge in a video, but I think the end-mill is spun too fast at one point - Steve says "it is High Speed Steel".
  • Lastly a full 2 minutes of a 17 minute video show Steve vacuuming swarf, which should have been chopped down by the editor! And it would be helpful to mention this is a job for a workshop vacuum cleaner, not the Domestic Supremo's brand-new top-of-the-range Dyson!

Dave

Hopper06/10/2022 11:39:07
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Please do post pics of how your friend's bicycle wheel looks after using said jig and vice to straighten it.

Steviegtr06/10/2022 12:16:10
2668 forum posts
352 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 06/10/2022 11:07:58:

It is not easy for someone to stand in front of a camera and produce a video ...- Steve isn't the best person to demonstrate workshop best practice on screen. Nor am I! Ideally anything for public consumption should be peer reviewed before publication because it's extremely hard for people to see their own mistakes.

• Steve uses a bit of scrap that might be an old gib.
  • Steve misses the chance to explain the difference between climb and conventional milling - he does both.
  • There's another missed opportunity to explain how to choose RPM, the end-mill is spun too fast at one point - Steve says "it is High Speed Steel".
  • Lastly a full 2 minutes of a 17 minute video show Steve vacuuming swarf, which should have been chopped down by the editor! And it would be helpful to mention this is a job for a workshop vacuum cleaner, not the Domestic Supremo's brand-new top-of-the-range Dyson!

Dave

Hi Dave & thanks for the constructive comments from you.

Just a couple of points. The video was shortish for me, so i did not show some things. When i took the piece of steel from the drawer. The 1st thing i did was ran a file on the corner to check it would machine. I have a Henry vac 110V . Yet to build a vac system, (A job on the board.) Yet the one i used was just an old one donated to me.

Sorry i did say the cutter & the speed i was using but when i sped the vid up to 1000% it blurred out the speech.

The txt was just a joke about HSS. 850rpm. The depth of cut is something i just try. So it would not really help anyone

But i must say all comments you made are taken on board. I thank you for watching the video.

P.S I have posted another pretty unusual one for me of repairing a total write off Motorhome. Did not put a link up as not sure there is a subject that would cover it on here. EDIT. Found vehicle restoration so i have posted it on there.

Regards.

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 06/10/2022 12:43:36

Steviegtr06/10/2022 12:19:06
2668 forum posts
352 photos
Posted by Hopper on 06/10/2022 11:39:07:

Please do post pics of how your friend's bicycle wheel looks after using said jig and vice to straighten it.

Yes Hopper. I hold a pretty low chance of this idea working. Once steel has stretched then i think it would be very hard to reform it.

Steve.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate