By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Myford ML7 drip oilers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dr_GMJN14/09/2022 07:37:38
1602 forum posts

All, one of my original Myford drip oilers has never worked properly - despite stripping and cleaning, it’s either full flow or nothing for some reason. The spring often binds on the pin or bore, giving the feeling of gouging metal when turning the knob. I’ve fiddled about with it to no avail.

Years ago I bought a new pair, but they were pretty cheap and nasty and didn’t work well at all.

Where can I get some original Myford oilers? EBay?

Thanks.

AJW14/09/2022 09:40:02
388 forum posts
137 photos

My Myford has the original oilers and I found if I went out in the workshop when it was cold - they would drip enough and when hot - too much!

When using the lathe now I just give manually 6 drips and if using for any length of time a few more now and again, I have a VFD fitted and occasionally run at above it's normal top rated rpm but must be doing it sufficiently as original bearings are spot on.

Alan

Andrew Moyes 114/09/2022 10:02:57
158 forum posts
22 photos

+1 to what Alan says. I kept forgetting to shut off the oil drip after each use. Instead I put two drops at the start of each session and maybe another drop if I was turning for more than an hour at a time. After 40 years use, the measured play in the white metal bearings was still 0.0005" as when new.

Andrew

not done it yet14/09/2022 12:06:04
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Watch this space!

I dunno what they are like or if they do oilers as well as greasers, or if the lube can be changed/selected, or the delivery rate, etc etc - but there are battery powered electrical metering systems which rely on hydrogen produced, as a cell discharges, to provide the feed.. Apparently they can empty in a month or even up to a year a year. Better ones can be turned on/off, too.

Here is a link to a vid on the grease variety: AUTO GREASE LUBRICATOR

Might be useful to some of us?

Peter Greene14/09/2022 18:44:57
865 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by AJW on 14/09/2022 09:40:02:

When using the lathe now I just give manually 6 drips and if using for any length of time a few more now and again,

I fitted flip-cap oilers in place of the drip oilers (and other places on the lathe) which makes manually oiling easy.

V8Eng14/09/2022 20:28:37
1826 forum posts
1 photos

For some years my ML7 has been fitted with drip feed units from Adams in Coventry.

As far as I’m concerned they have been excellent, very controllable, go fully off and as a bonus even look like the originals.

Here is a link to the relative page on their site and if you download the PDF mine are at the top of page 5.

Adams

I have absolutely no idea of the price nowadays though.

Edited By V8Eng on 14/09/2022 20:31:54

bernard towers14/09/2022 23:12:56
1221 forum posts
161 photos

In the past I have modified the tapered shaft of the oilers by changing the taper to a much finer one and leaving a step at the largest point and fitting an o ring to give positive shut off. I have done 4 so far 2 on an ml7 and two on main bearings of a marine steamer and they are both still working surprise surprise.

Dr_GMJN16/09/2022 13:59:37
1602 forum posts

Thanks all.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate