By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

What is the finest model engineering you've seen?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Lawes19/08/2022 10:21:52
1078 forum posts

As per the title, What is the finest model engineering you've seen? Specific examples please rather than "the work of Cherry Hill".

I would like to volunteer Pierre Scerri's Ferrari 312.

**LINK**

Dave Wootton19/08/2022 10:42:44
505 forum posts
99 photos

There's a few I can think of

Barrie Hares Merlin engine, absolutely superb. Even a locomotive enthusiast like me loved it.

Dennis Evans Capriotti valve geared Duke of Gloucester in 3 1/2" gauge

Dr Bradbury Winters LB&SCR Como , a wonder today and even more so in its time of construction.

Chris Vines B1 , beautifully built and painted and it goes well too.

I look forward to other suggestions, there have been so many superb models over the years.

Dave

noel shelley19/08/2022 10:50:18
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Dave has beat me to it ! Bongo (B1) by Chris Vine ! Noel.

Baz19/08/2022 10:53:56
1033 forum posts
2 photos

I would like to say the work of Cherry Hill, all her work, but seems I am not allowed to say that so I will go with Bongo by Chris Vine

Ramon Wilson19/08/2022 11:04:11
1655 forum posts
617 photos

The eighteen cylinder radial engine made by Gerald Smith - a simply awesome example of machining skill and especially so when it was made on a treadle powered round bed Drummond.

I've only seen it the once and never had a camera but it's etched on my memory. Seen many fine examples of the art over the years including the superb models of Cherry Hill but none eclipses that for me though Peter Southworth's Agnes tandem compound stationary engine comes a very close second.

Tug

Edited By Ramon Wilson on 19/08/2022 11:04:53

derek hall 119/08/2022 11:25:11
322 forum posts

If we are discussing models actually seen face to face, at the SMEE 100th anniversary some years ago, which had a disappointingly low attendance, I was able to see almost the entire collection of Cherry Hills models and Dr Bradbury Winters model "Como".

I witnessed prof Chaddock starting and running Lew Blackmores 9 cylinder rotary engine.

I also went to the Liverpool maritime museum some years ago and was able to see the fantastically detailed marine steam engines by (I think?) a certain Commander Baker - I stand to be corrected on the name though....

Regards

Derek

Hopper19/08/2022 11:27:42
7881 forum posts
397 photos

As I rarely get to see models in the flesh (it's all wallabies and sugar cane around here), I would have to say the recent thread Doc posted HERE (see page 19) about the model of the engine room of the Deutchland is the best example I have seen pics of. Seen at the Hamburg maritime museum, the workmanship and detail is boggling and the subject, a six cylinder quadruple expansion engine is unique. But it is surrounded by the full engine room full of equipment with details like a Stuart V10 driving the condensor cooling pump etc. Just awesome in both extent and quality.

From Doc's thread:

Also some Stuart Sirius engines there I think:

I can now appreciate the skill and time that went into this amazing model.

I have been looking at ME mags since I was a boy in short trousers and this takes the cake.

Edited By Hopper on 19/08/2022 11:33:11

Hopper19/08/2022 11:30:22
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by derek hall 1 on 19/08/2022 11:25:11:

If we are discussing models actually seen face to face, at the SMEE 100th anniversary some years ago, which had a disappointingly low attendance, I was able to see almost the entire collection of Cherry Hills models and Dr Bradbury Winters model "Como".

I witnessed prof Chaddock starting and running Lew Blackmores 9 cylinder rotary engine.

I also went to the Liverpool maritime museum some years ago and was able to see the fantastically detailed marine steam engines by (I think?) a certain Commander Baker - I stand to be corrected on the name though....

Regards

Derek

Barker (not Baker.) No relation to the current MEW writer of the same surname but much more mediocre talent though!

Edited By Hopper on 19/08/2022 11:32:04

Michael Callaghan19/08/2022 12:36:51
173 forum posts
7 photos

For me it’s armour like this. Made without anything in the way of advanced tools. Made to fit the men like a second skin. Plates formed by nothing more then a man’s hammer and skill. Not only did this need to look great by the use of the skill of the finest artists of metal and design. But the metal craft in getting the correct temper of steel took a depth of knowledge long lost. 26d374e5-1358-4371-87b9-afe206833544.jpeg

Brian Baker 119/08/2022 12:49:36
229 forum posts
40 photos

Greetings, I agree that SMEE centenary exhibition brought together the finest collection of Model Engineering Exhibits that I have ever seen, but I think "Bongo" takes some beating. Well done Chris.

Regards

Brian B

derek hall 119/08/2022 12:57:25
322 forum posts
Posted by Hopper on 19/08/2022 11:30:22:
Posted by derek hall 1 on 19/08/2022 11:25:11:

Regards

Derek

Barker (not Baker.) No relation to the current MEW writer of the same surname but much more mediocre talent though!

Edited By Hopper on 19/08/2022 11:32:04

Thanks Hopper,

Yes I agree those pics you reposted of that engine room.....magnificent!!!

Regards

Derek

Howard Lewis19/08/2022 13:01:17
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Far TOO many to list!

Stan Bray's OO gauge live steam Crampton, John Bertinat's collection of engines, Tony Meek's Gold Medal winning "Princess Royal", Roy Darlington's many hot air engines; to mention but a few that come immediately to mind in addition to those already mentioned.

Howard.

Nigel Graham 219/08/2022 13:04:07
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Very much on the same general theme of Cherry Hill's work, Ron Jarvis' collection of early and significant engines built to quite small scale but fully-working, to highlight their historical significance in engineering.

These included models of:

- The strange steam-powered bus built by Church (Apparently the prototype was built but proved a disappointing failure without ever entering its intended long-distance service.)

- Newcomen's 'Atmospheric Engine'. Standing perhaps two feet high, the details extend to correctly-bonded actual bricks, to scale size; properly-sqaure nuts and bolts on the timber frame etc, and real lead pipes made to right size and correctly soft-soldered to join them. Ron admitted he could not use coal firing reliably in a 2psi gauge spherical boiler about the size of an orange - and with orange-peel finish to represent 18C manual plate-forging - so it contains a discreet electric element controlled by concealed thermostat and microprocessor. He joked about this being unique as an 18C CNC steam-engine!

- a diagonal paddle-steamer engine, in timber hull section. I think this was the one competing for Gold with another's work of equal merit, but had to be content with Silver because the judges were unsure if the castings should have been painted. Errr, they had not realised the model's iron castings were actually mild-steel fabrications treated in a home-made grit-blaster with the correct size grains, to emulate castings....

Outside of model-engineering, Mr. Jarvis spent his retirement from an MoD Science career, gardening, teaching himself computing when you needed know programming to use a computer, and bee-keeping. It seems in the last, he was the one who probably cracked the insect's curious 'kamikaze' myth - it fatally injures itself only when stinging an animal with a tough skin such as a horse or human, not fragile ones like other insects.

I do not know what happened to his models after his death - already a widower. I do hope they and the awards they garnered at the major exhibitions, are available for others to admire; preferably in a museum run by curators who understand their subjects, not just how to fill the premises' private store-room behind the gift-shop.

I shall now admit bias! I knew Ron Jarvis as a fellow-member of our local model-engineering society.

These memories raise another....

I helped take his collection back to his home after a local exhibition; and carried the Newcomen Engine from a car, across crazy-paving, and up three steps into his house. It is (I nearly wrote 'was' )  a heavy, bulky but very fragile arms-full, and I was very nervous; thinking afterwards as relief took over that if I had tripped and dropped it......

Even now, years later, it still makes my blood run cold that by a single slip I would have destroyed Ron Jarvis' Newcomen Atmospheric Engine. Breaking his heart; and my being whispered about, even pointed out, in clubs and exhibitions up and down the land to this day.

. . . .

Incidentally, though not a leading exhibitor, another and earlier club member, Reg Dawson, was a consummate craftsman who overhauled the 5" g. 'Maid of Kent' that was the club's locomotive. He might even have helped build it originally. It was with this that I learnt to drive miniature steam locomotives in my Junior Membership years, back in the late-1960s.

When I knew him he was constructing an exquisite triple-expansion engined tug he told me he had willed to the Science Museum. Not for hiding behind the gift-shop, we hope.

This character moved away c.1970, with the loco..... And neither were seen since. As he was in his 80s, then I think it safe to name him!

I would love to know if the locomotive, bearing the 'Maid of Athens' name-plates for a reason I long forget; and I think fitted with Joy Gear, still exists and despite my novitiate handling, hopefully still sometimes romps around some club's track somewhere....

Edited By Nigel Graham 2 on 19/08/2022 13:06:20

Dave Wootton19/08/2022 13:25:36
505 forum posts
99 photos

That engine room is absolutely stunning, this is the best thread for ages, a reminder of some of the fantastic models that have been seen at exhibitions over the years, and an opportunity to find out about some other masterpieces.

And not a moan in sight..........

Keep them coming.

Dave

oilcan19/08/2022 14:36:21
34 forum posts

One deserving of a mention is the 1/30 scale horizontal Corliss engine of Jerry Kieffer of the US. Deceptively simple looking, until you realise that everything is scale, including the 1/4 diameter bolts on the original. How you go about making taps and dies to produce a 0.009" diameter functional bolt I have no idea!

Clem Tomlinson's Deltic Engine deserves a mention. i would love to see it close up.

Plus one for the engines of Commander Barker. I always made a point of visiting the Merseyside Maritime Museum to view them, but I believe they are no longer on display. Even more impressive when you realise they were made with treadle operated machinery.

Richard Marks19/08/2022 16:28:20
218 forum posts
8 photos

Really impressive was a Very Large version of the BIG BOY locomotive I saw at the model engineering show at Alexandra Palace a few years ago, I have not seen or heard of it since as I would like to see it running.

SillyOldDuffer19/08/2022 17:04:56
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Other people's work is well out of my league, so not an ego trip, but the most satisfying models I've seen are the ones I made myself.

Can anything made by someone else ever beat the joy of a home-made engine or clock firing up the first time?

Dave

Howard Lewis19/08/2022 18:31:31
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Seeing one's own tooling or model functioning has to bring a vast amount of pleasure, although in my case, tempered by the knowledge that it is NOWHERE near the standard of the many items already mentioned here.

It is in awe of the skill and patience of the makers that I stand.

Howard

lfoggy19/08/2022 18:36:57
231 forum posts
5 photos

I really like Barry Jordan's machine tool models, particularly the Bridgeport....

Great model but also unique.

jordan07.jpg

SillyOldDuffer19/08/2022 18:56:40
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Cherry Hill stands out for me because she deliberately researches unusual machines from the past, often poorly documented, and reverse engineers the design which she builds from scratch to an extremely high standard.

Done it several times too, and every model is a high-grade multi-layered achievement. Much harder than building a well-known type from a decent plan made by someone else. Quite a few brilliant Model Engineers have produced impressive quantities of superb work, but I can't of anyone who beats Cherry Hill for volume, difficulty, workmanship, and originality.

Last thing I made was a washer...

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate