Leblond Regal 10" drive motor replacement

Motor replacement

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Neild10/04/2022 14:14:22
4 forum posts
5 photos

Hi,

I was using my Leblond Regal 10" throw lathe and motor went with a bang.

The motor is really old and i think its time for replacement. Can anyone please recommend what size motor i should be looking at or recommend best place to get one ? Currently its single phase....the ID plate is missing.

I also wondered if i should change the on off lever to a more modern one....but the old one seems in good condition so will leave that.

Thanks in advance.

BR

Mark

Martin Cargill10/04/2022 16:03:54
203 forum posts

If the existing motor is fed through an overload relay or some form of motor protection switch then the current setting on the protective device may give some idea of the motor rating. Exercise caution though as some DIY conversions may have used whatever was to hand at the time and may not have been properly rated for the motor.

Martin

Thor 🇳🇴10/04/2022 16:07:39
1766 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. You should replace the motor with one of similar power, I would recommend a 3phase motor - run from an inverter if you don't have 3-phase in your workshop. Does the manual give you any clue of the power (watt) of the motor? If you don't have a manual, you maybe able to buy one from lathes.co.uk.

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 10/04/2022 16:08:14

john fletcher 110/04/2022 16:11:36
893 forum posts

You shouldn't have any trouble obtaining a good second hand replacement motor, as so many people are fitting three phase motors and inverters. But before spent your money, how about finding out what went wrong with the existing motor. There are quite a lot member on here will help you out or have done so in the past. With the motor disconnect from the electrical supply could you send a pictures of the motor with the terminal box open so that the wires and markings can clearly be seen. Have you got a multimeter or have you a friend who has one and will give you some help using it. Did the fuse blow or circuit breaker trip out. Has the motor got a capacitor attached to it, some times a lump on the side or top, these are a weak point and are known to fall. I look forward to your reply. John

Ady110/04/2022 17:17:18
6137 forum posts
893 photos

I think the teeny regals were 1.5HP

Thing is, if you use it seriously a VFD would probbly give it a new lease of life

Pretty old machine though, 1930s?

Mark Neild11/04/2022 09:57:24
4 forum posts
5 photos

Hi All,

Many thanks for your helpful posts, i really appreciate it.

I am working away now and will take a look when i can and respond feedback.

Thanks again.

Mark

Dave Halford11/04/2022 10:24:20
2536 forum posts
24 photos

The bang may have been the Capacitor blowing up.

Mark Neild25/04/2022 14:24:28
4 forum posts
5 photos

Hi All,

Apologies delay i have been away.

Anyway found the name plate...was a bit of a blonde moment !

Motor is, 50Hz single phase, 1/3hp, 2.9 amps, 1450 rpm.

For some reason i cant attach photos, maybe they have to be approved 1st...i have made an album etc but it doesnt recognise it....will try again later.

Anyway the motor is really old, and i think you are correct most likely capacitor has has probably blown. The wiring is a mess throughout the motor and i am probably lucky to be alive !

I see what you mean about 3 phase with VFD....more control of rpm etc and probably more economic to run, but i am not so good with electrics and thought i might just buy a new single phase motor and use the old on off switch, which looks in ok condition. I can get a new single phase approx 1/3 hp (might go a bit higher on power) for approx £100.

Anyway thanks again for the advice.

Kind Regards;

Mark

on off internals.jpgname plate.jpgmotor terminals.jpglathe.jpgcondenser - capacitor.jpg

Ady127/04/2022 10:32:18
6137 forum posts
893 photos

That's a pretty chunky small bench lathe and I'm going to throw my hat in and say 1/3HP isn't enough

I would say 1/2HP minimum and 1HP is bestest

For me with 10" swing I would be looking at 1.0 to 1.5HP

Edited By Ady1 on 27/04/2022 10:34:22

Oldiron27/04/2022 14:12:26
1193 forum posts
59 photos

I agree with Ady1's comments the motor needs to be at least 1hp. The 12" came with a 2hp motor from what I can deduce. That motor is way to small for that lathe. You can contact Leblond for any info on your lathe Leblond queries.

regards

Nigel McBurney 127/04/2022 14:37:21
1101 forum posts
3 photos

Motor size using Myford as an example ML7 uses 1/2 hp, Myford Super 7 (2000) top speed uses 3/4 hp , both motors 1440 rpm. A lot depends on the top spindle speed the higher the lathe spindle speed the more power required to drive it,Generally the more modern the lathe the higher the speed ,and the larger motor requirement. I would suggest 1 hp. Also bear in mind most single phase motors have a max number of stop/starts per hour rating,

Mark Neild27/04/2022 16:16:57
4 forum posts
5 photos

Thank you everyone, the motor was on there when i bought it....i will defo look at least 1hp in that case.

It has run fine for last 3 years...guess i was just lucky smiley

Maybe i would be better off with 3 phase after all....

John Haine27/04/2022 17:16:51
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Better to get a 3ph motor+VFD, you get variable speed as a bonus, plus smooth start, jogging & quick stop.

Ady127/04/2022 18:24:27
6137 forum posts
893 photos

If you are using it a lot then good kit will make a huge difference to its efficiency and the pure pleasure of using it

If you're just tinkering now and then, the 1HP+ route is fine

Edited By Ady1 on 27/04/2022 18:26:07

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate