All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Former Member11/02/2022 10:28:23
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Emgee11/02/2022 10:44:57
2610 forum posts
312 photos

I would usually drill through both clamped plates with the tapping drill, then use a clearance drill on 1 plate.

Emgee

Thor 🇳🇴11/02/2022 10:52:56
1766 forum posts
46 photos

I too drill through both plates with the tapping drill, then clearance drill. For starting the tapping drill I first use a spotting drill (using the dials on the milling table handwheels to place the spotting drill), then the tapping drill.

Thor

Former Member11/02/2022 10:59:59
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Emgee11/02/2022 11:08:20
2610 forum posts
312 photos

I would spot it with a drill the same size as the existing hole, only needs a light touch to give a point for the spot or centre drill to use.

Emgee

magpie11/02/2022 11:09:04
508 forum posts
98 photos

Spotting drill.

Hopper11/02/2022 11:31:19
7881 forum posts
397 photos

I use the same size drill as the existing hole, so its a nice tight fit when I drill the start of the hole in the other plate, gets the new hole nice and central. Just sink the drill in to the edges of the tip, then change to the tapping size drill or pilot drill if you are going to use one. I don't bother with a centre drill or spotting drill in this instance as the larger drill has already provided the starting divot in the bottom plate.

John Baron11/02/2022 11:54:14
520 forum posts
194 photos
Posted by Hopper on 11/02/2022 11:31:19:

I use the same size drill as the existing hole, so its a nice tight fit when I drill the start of the hole in the other plate, gets the new hole nice and central. Just sink the drill in to the edges of the tip, then change to the tapping size drill or pilot drill if you are going to use one. I don't bother with a centre drill or spotting drill in this instance as the larger drill has already provided the starting divot in the bottom plate.

Exactly what I do ! Saves time and you end up with an accurately drilled hole.

Dalboy11/02/2022 12:47:49
1009 forum posts
305 photos

If you by chance have a set of transfer punches use them

JasonB11/02/2022 12:55:53
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I'd do them separately using the DRO to set out the holes. Spot and clearance size in one plate. Spot and tapping size in the other and while it's on the mill use that to also guide the tap perfectly perpendicular

Missed the edit, if I did not know the hole ctrs then use a spotting drill if I have one that fits existing hole if not use a drill bit of the same size to transfer onto the undrilled material.

Edited By JasonB on 11/02/2022 12:58:09

larry phelan 112/02/2022 16:59:58
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Hi Br

I thought you made it perfectly clear.

Must be missing something ?surprise

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate