Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Kindness to Brush Motor Control Board

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Stopford03/01/2022 20:58:23
241 forum posts
35 photos

I recently purchased a Warco WM180 lathe. It has Start and Stop buttons, and a speed control.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that its undesirable to start the motor with the speed control set above minimum because it can fry control board components; can anyone confirm this?

Its a little tiresome having to keep winding the speed control back and forth if frequently stopping the spindle to take measurements.

Ed Duffner03/01/2022 21:33:41
863 forum posts
104 photos

Hi Andy,

I have a WM180 and never had a problem with the control board in 7 years of use. I usually switch on, then adjust speed as necessary.

Ed.

Andy Stopford04/01/2022 18:43:12
241 forum posts
35 photos

Thanks Ed, that's good to know.

HOWARDT04/01/2022 19:25:21
1081 forum posts
39 photos

Have my Sieg for five years, always turn speed control to zero before switching off and had no trouble with electrics so far.

Christopher Taylor 104/01/2022 20:40:34
14 forum posts
3 photos

I also had a WM180 and did have to replace control board for starting with the speed set fairly high, a large flash when it happened and not cheap. I have now up graded to a WM250 and have replaced the plug fuse to 5 amps as a precaution and must say the fuses do seem to pop frequently, no doubt due to my over ambitious cuts. I seem to recall there was a sticker on my WM180 warning about starting with the lowest speed setting. I would recommend changing the plug fuse and keep a few spare fuses as a precaution..

SillyOldDuffer04/01/2022 20:58:02
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

It depends on the design of the control board: it might do an automatic 'soft start', and be generously rated or it might not. Unless the instructions say otherwise, I'd always start the motor at the lowest speed. Better safe than sorry!

Dave

Andy Stopford04/01/2022 21:08:26
241 forum posts
35 photos

Hmm - no warning sticker, but...

I might phone Warco and ask - if I get any useful information I'll post it here.

Andrew Johnston04/01/2022 21:16:11
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by Christopher Taylor 1 on 04/01/2022 20:40:34:

..fuses do seem to pop frequently...

That's because the 5A fuse is too small. The plug fuse is there to protect the upstream wiring, not the downstream electronics. A fuse is a thermal device and even under overload conditions can take tens to hundreds of milliseconds to blow. The semiconductor devices on the board will blow orders of magnitude faster than that if there is a fault. Using a smaller fuse doesn't achieve anything, apart from increasing the PITA factor.

Andrew

larry phelan 105/01/2022 09:23:24
1346 forum posts
15 photos

I have a Clarke wood lathe [seldom used ] which has a motor like that, and they clearly advise to reduce speed to zero when stopping or starting.

Dont like motors like that, but that,s the way it came !

Might be a P-I-T-A, but might be cheaper too.cheeky

noel shelley05/01/2022 10:13:12
2308 forum posts
33 photos

DO NOT all burst out laughing at my ignorance ! All this talk of stopping and starting motors - I take it they do not have a clutch ? and little or no stepped pulleys to give speed change ? Now I understand why they can be so cheap ! and why machines with a clutch are so much more useable and reliable. Ah well, Noel.

Andrew Johnston05/01/2022 11:01:23
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by noel shelley on 05/01/2022 10:13:12:

....machines with a clutch are so much more useable and reliable.

The only one of my industrial machine tools that has a clutch is the horizontal mill. embarrassed

Ah, just remembered that the power guillotine has an electromagnetic clutch.

Andrew

Martin W05/01/2022 11:16:01
940 forum posts
30 photos

While this doesn't help the OP with his question regarding start up procedures for his lathe. The Chester DB7V that I have has a built in soft start and to date I have had no problem with the electronics even though I rarely set the speed to minimum prior to starting unless I require a high speed setting. The lathe must be over 10 years old now and hasn't missed a beat in that time, famous last words!!

As I said this doesn't help the OP but I believe that this illustrates the benefit of soft start procedures be they implemented either electronically or manually so if you are unsure whether your system has a soft start built in then starting at the minimum speed and ramping up to the required operating speed will do the electronics no harm and could well extend their life.

Andy Stopford05/01/2022 19:17:59
241 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 05/01/2022 11:01:23:
Posted by noel shelley on 05/01/2022 10:13:12:

....machines with a clutch are so much more useable and reliable.

The only one of my industrial machine tools that has a clutch is the horizontal mill. embarrassed

I wouldn't trust these dodgy modern clutches. I drove my industrial horizontal mill the proper way, via fast-and-loose pulleys (I made the pulleys from layered MDF, glued together, and after machining the diameters, painted with several coats of red oxide. They worked surprisingly well and didn't wear away despite my very inexpert use of that wretched alligator lacing stuff).

I tried phoning Warco today, but most of the staff seem to be off until next week.

MikeK05/01/2022 20:14:08
226 forum posts
17 photos

My 7x16 mini-lathe throws a fault if I turn it on with the speed above zero. I guess others don't have this protection?

Anthony Knights06/01/2022 01:43:14
681 forum posts
260 photos

My Clarke CL300 mini lathe has interlock relays and a switch on the speed control pot which means you HAVE to start up from zero speed setting.

Andy Stopford10/01/2022 19:02:24
241 forum posts
35 photos

Warco emailed me today to confirm:

"Your are correct, these machines should always be started with the knob on minimum as the sudden surge in power when turned on can cause damage to the speed control PCB board."

John Haine11/01/2022 07:25:08
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Which means that the design is poor. You would think that for the price of a resistor and capacitor they would add soft start at least, if the power control is that flaky.

John Haine11/01/2022 07:25:09
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Which means that the design is poor. You would think that for the price of a resistor and capacitor they would add soft start at least, if the power control is that flaky.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate