By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MikeK

Here is a list of all the postings MikeK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gasless MIG welding
29/03/2022 01:58:14

I have a small gasless MIG (we call it fluxcore) that I think is similar to doubleboost's machine. I love it. I have done 16g and 18g and I'm sure it could even go thinner. It's an inverter machine. Lightweight too. Very popular over here in the US. I can't comment on the Amazon brands that may be similar. I paid $100US a couple years ago...I think it's up to $200 now. Titanium Flux 125.

Mike

Thread: Coming Soon : The shutdown of 3G
28/03/2022 19:52:42
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 28/03/2022 19:27:32:

Today, who even uses FAX.??

Lawyers?

28/03/2022 13:13:17
Posted by Martin Connelly on 28/03/2022 11:15:15:

Maybe schools need to introduce a new subject, how to spot nonsense on the internet.

Called "media literacy" and is starting to get implemented. My concern is that the larger set of critical thinking skills need addressed first.

Mike

Thread: Warco BH600G - Motor hums but won't start
28/03/2022 02:01:57

Above posted video is a good source for diagnosing the problem. Straightforward and clear. Should be able to find the issue with just that.

Thread: Simple grinding rest.
26/03/2022 00:04:35

Is it certain that banggood controller should be grounded? I have a commonly used motor controller inside the power feed of my mini-mill. There is no transformer isolation between mains and the rectified voltage, just mains Line and Neutral to the bridge diodes. It is mounted inside a plastic housing. There is no ground, which I think, is necessary, as that would create a conductive path between ground and mains because of the lack of transformer isolation. No?

(Note: I live in the US.)

Mike

Thread: Indicator
24/03/2022 15:04:07

I have no experience with that brand, but I do have several Chinese indicators that work just fine. You might be surprised how terrible they aren't. And the low cost lets you have several of them...I have one of the Chinese indicators permanently attached to a carriage stop for indicating Z depth. I also have a Mitutoyo that is good, though I use the Chinese ones most of the time. For centering round stock in the lathe I use a DTI, because I want the extra precision. I can dial in the 4-jaw to within 0.010" (0.25mm) by using a pointer or lathe tool for reference and then bring it in with the DTI. For square work I do use a standard indicator.

Sorry if that was a distraction.

Mike

Thread: Using kerosene to clean ground surfaces
24/03/2022 03:07:21

Kerosene doesn't really evaporate. So, like Jon said, it'll stink...and for a long time. What about using acetone and then wiping on & off a little oil?

Thread: Gib missalignment
23/03/2022 20:18:34

If you use flat end gib screws you'll need to machine pockets into the gibs, at the appropriate angle. Otherwise the screws hit the gibs at the top (and only the top) and try to rotate it over. To be honest, I don't remember what I did for my X2 mill, but it's been okay...I do have a bar of cast iron to make new strips, though. (Lubed cast iron against cast iron has very low friction.) Have you marked up the gib with bluing to see where it actually contacts? Installing the gib with the screws backed out and watching it as you tighten them could be useful.

Getting an extra set of screws and putting, say, a point on them to experiment wouldn't be a waste of time, in my opinion.

As an aside, I put medium threadlock compound on the gib screw threads to avoid the need for the lock nuts. A piece of thin plastic may also work?

Mike

Thread: Acceptable runout on drill chuck
23/03/2022 18:32:22
Posted by MikeK on 23/03/2022 15:09:49:
Posted by jaCK Hobson on 23/03/2022 12:47:39:

Any tips on how to get a chuck off a J6 taper so I can compare with other chucks I have?

Install the chuck/arbor in the mill (or lathe) with a drawbar threaded in a thread or two. Put some packing between the back of the chuck and the face of the mill head (or lathe headstock) and tighten up the drawbar to force the chuck off the arbor.

Mike

I should change this. While I have done this method, once, I didn't realize at the time that it does put stress on the upper spindle bearing. I don't believe I overstressed the bearing, as it didn't take much cranking on the drawbar to separate the chuck, it isn't the best approach. Next time I would use find/make suitable packing to use the spindle face, so that the bearings see no stress at all.

23/03/2022 15:09:49
Posted by jaCK Hobson on 23/03/2022 12:47:39:

Any tips on how to get a chuck off a J6 taper so I can compare with other chucks I have?

Install the chuck/arbor in the mill (or lathe) with a drawbar threaded in a thread or two. Put some packing between the back of the chuck and the face of the mill head (or lathe headstock) and tighten up the drawbar to force the chuck off the arbor.

Mike

Thread: Gib missalignment
23/03/2022 13:26:56

The roughness is probably just the very end of the channel. Worth noting that the gib screws on these are often the cause of problems, forcing the gib at an odd angle.

23/03/2022 12:39:40

Igor's image seems not to be showing up in the forum software. The link is here: https://ibb.co/ZHYZ9yY

Thread: Acceptable runout on drill chuck
22/03/2022 18:39:36

You could rule out any mounting error by clamping the drill chuck onto a piece turned/held in the lathe and then clock the drill chuck mounting hole. I have that same chuck as Dan showed and the runout is nowhere near as bad. Factory rejects are getting put into regular circulation.

Mike

Thread: Broken Tap removal tool
21/03/2022 23:04:32

Hi Pete,

You extracted it from the opposite end of the hole?

Mike

Thread: Simple grinding rest.
19/03/2022 20:47:50

I have the simple rest mostly built, but (of course) not used...as I've gotten away with hand grinding bits pretty well. For what it's worth, I'll point on that Mr. Hall has some pages on his website referencing the simple grinding rest.

Simple rest: **LINK**

Improved mounting: **LINK**

Mike

Thread: Step Turning Carburettor Needles - Video
18/03/2022 01:08:18

I don't understand what is special about that technique...? Right to left?

Thread: Chuck backplate from steel weldment?
16/03/2022 12:20:30

Thanks, Andrew, ega, and Hopper.

16/03/2022 12:13:03

Thanks for your experience, Thor...I endeavor to match it.

Thanks, Dave. Experience is a good teacher...Would have liked to do this with welding, as I wouldn't need to buy anything, but I'm going to give it a go with an eBay lump. Vendor says the disc is plasma cut under water so it should be ready for my machinations.

16/03/2022 02:10:48

I found a 4" x 1/2" steel disc on eBay for under $8US. That should do the trick. A36 steel shouldn't need any stress relieving so that's good. It would be nice if I could fit my 4-jaw on my rotary table, but both are 4" so that's out.

Mike

15/03/2022 22:52:47

So, if I make this out of steel...don't bother stress relieving it? I just thought the welding would do a number on it. I do have some thick plates of aluminum, plenty big enough...though the registration boss will probably take a beating with mounting and dismounting. Maybe I should just spend the $45.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate