Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Watch glasses

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mick H17/08/2021 10:18:07
795 forum posts
34 photos

Hallo all. I am building a model submarine and wish to fit two viewing domes into 35mm diameter apertures. I believe that high dome watch glasses would be suitable if siliconed in, but having no experience with watch glasses I have to ask the apparently stupid question......does a 35mm watch glass fit a 35mm aperture? I ask this because the watch glasses also seem to have a flange which is OK provided that it is the glass and not the flange which gives the 35 mm measurement.

I have tried contacting suppliers direct but they are so cagey and refuse to give advice on measurement. Why? So I have asked the question at the fount of common sense!

Mick

Circlip17/08/2021 10:51:34
1723 forum posts

Tried these people? Acrylic Round Domed Watch Glasses (cousinsuk.com). A flat GLASS component may be better if it's going to have a camera stuck behind it.

Regards Ian.

Trevor Drabble17/08/2021 11:10:20
339 forum posts
7 photos

Mick , Does your list of suppliers include H S Walsh and Son ? Trevor.

mick H17/08/2021 12:01:35
795 forum posts
34 photos

Trevor......no, but I will get onto them now.

Ian.......they won't give any fitting advice.

I have taken another look at website photos and I now have a feeling that watch glasses do not have a flange. Can anyone confirm?

Mick

mick H17/08/2021 12:16:06
795 forum posts
34 photos

Trevor....H S Walsh very helpful. I think that i now have the information I require. Some accurate measurement now required.

Mick

vic newey17/08/2021 12:18:04
347 forum posts
173 photos

There are dozens of sellers for watch glass on Ebay, I'm sure they would give you the details you require along with the option to buy one cheaply

Robert Atkinson 217/08/2021 12:59:06
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Watch glasses do not normally have a flange of any kind. They are curved to the edge.

Trevor Drabble17/08/2021 13:38:45
339 forum posts
7 photos

Mick , Glad Walsh's were able to help and thank you for acknowledging it . Trevor.

Circlip17/08/2021 15:13:54
1723 forum posts

You didn't ask for fitting advise Mick, usually fitted using a cup and dome compression tool, thought you only needed diameter sizes. Silicon glue doesn't care whether a flange or not.

Regards Ian.

mick H17/08/2021 15:20:17
795 forum posts
34 photos

Thanks for the help gents. My problem was really in misinterpreting the online images which made the glasses look as if they were flanged. Now that I know otherwise, no problem, just order 1mm larger than the aperture.

Mick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate