Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

16mm Indexable tool holders

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Lawes10/08/2021 17:33:38
26 forum posts
1 photos

Evening, Im after any first hand recommendations for indexable tool holders like the Glanze variety in 16mm. Seems to be loads of choices but I don't want to 'buy cheap and buy twice'

Thanks in advance

Steve

Steviegtr10/08/2021 19:18:54
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Hi Steve. It is not so much the tool holder, but the inserts that are important. I have about a dozen toolholders. All are imported far eastern made & all seem to work just fine. This i cannot say about the inserts. Go cheap & that is what you get. I have plenty of cheap inserts , but they regularly need changing.

On the other hand i have a lot of Iscar inserts. These are made in Israel, they are superb but expensive. Hope this helps.

Steve.

JasonB10/08/2021 19:27:24
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

The majority of my tool holders are Glanze and seem to do the job OK though mine are not as large a shank but quality should still be the same for the 16mm sq ones.

Inserts a mix of Kennametal. Korloy and APT

DiogenesII10/08/2021 19:31:31
859 forum posts
268 photos

I'm very happy with the smaller holders (and the excellent service) I receive from this company - I see they do 16mm ones as well..

JB Cutting Tools - Lathe Tool Holders

Vic10/08/2021 19:46:18
3453 forum posts
23 photos

My last couple of 16mm ones were cheap on the auction site and they work just fine. I wouldn’t have bothered with 16mm ones as I needed to trim them down a bit but I wanted to use TNMG’s. I needed to use a carbide mill so even the cheap tool holders seem to be made of tough steel.

bernard towers10/08/2021 21:34:22
1221 forum posts
161 photos

+1 for j b cutting tools and definitely Iscar or kennemetal tips.

Steve Lawes10/08/2021 23:08:29
26 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for the great info. JB tool holders look interesting especially the 100 deg ones.

And as for tips, CCMT or CCGT the way to go? I see that CNMG gets a lot of votes with TNMG also popular for finishing...

JasonB11/08/2021 07:03:45
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I mostly use CCMT & GT as the cutters fit boring bars too and having the 100deg holders that you mention I get to use all 4 edges.

Also think about what you will be turning, do you really need a big 16mm shank which will almost certainly mean you need larger inserts and therefore cost plus they will get in the way when trying to turn work with tailstock support. For example I was turning a crankshaft last night and can only get down to 11mm with an 8mm shank tool and 06 inserts before the back of the holder hits the live ctr.

Ron Laden11/08/2021 16:40:03
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Glad I read this thread I didnt realise you can use all 4 edges of the CCMT/GT inserts I just assumed you could only use the 80 degree sides not knowing you can get holders for the 100 degree sides, just ordered an 8mm holder.

Thanks Jason, wouldnt have known had I not seen your mention of it.

Ron

Vic11/08/2021 17:13:25
3453 forum posts
23 photos

TNMG don’t seem to be any more expensive than most other inserts but you get six cutting tips at a useful angle.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate