Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Reilang oil cans, fit for purpose?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bryan Cedar 107/06/2021 10:55:55
127 forum posts
4 photos

Having invested a fair sum for a 300ml Reiland oil can, I have found that it leaks badly form the can to screw in top. The top part which is threaded has two large flats where the thread is absent. The leak occurs from these areas even though there is a flat rubber washer that is supposed to seal the joint. A club member that I spoke to has the exact problem. How do Reilang continue to sell oil cans like this?

I have tried different o rings and rubber washers, and the pump continues to leak.

As the can would have to be laid flat in my tool box it is not fit for purpose and will have to be returned.

JA07/06/2021 11:38:22
1605 forum posts
83 photos

I needed a new small oil can a few months ago and was seduced into buying a Reilang can. While I have not had problems there is nothing fancy or special about it. I paid extra money for a name and fancy shape.

JA

Edited By JA on 07/06/2021 11:39:33

Bo'sun07/06/2021 11:57:02
754 forum posts
2 photos

I went for the one with the cheaper plastic can. Works OK, although I had to rework the tip to fit the button oilers on my WM250. Should I have gone for the alloy canned version? Time will tell no doubt.

Phil S07/06/2021 13:58:24
29 forum posts
7 photos

Fixed mine (for upright storage) with a green fibre central heating pump washer.

Howard Lewis07/06/2021 14:20:54
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Am intrigued by the "flat rubber washer"

On mine, the top is sealed to the reservoir with an O ring. NEVER had a leak.

Try replacing the flat rubber with an O ring of about 4 mm section.

Bought my Reilang because another oil gun leaked so badly. Am a big fan! Costly, but good, and works at any angle without a leak.

Howard

Bryan Cedar 107/06/2021 14:30:05
127 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 07/06/2021 14:20:54:

Am intrigued by the "flat rubber washer"

On mine, the top is sealed to the reservoir with an O ring. NEVER had a leak.

Try replacing the flat rubber with an O ring of about 4 mm section.

Bought my Reilang because another oil gun leaked so badly. Am a big fan! Costly, but good, and works at any angle without a leak.

Howard

Hi Howard

I tried an O ring of about 2mm section, was yours supplied with a 4mm O ring from new?

May try a larger section.

Howard Lewis07/06/2021 15:40:03
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Bryan,

Have just checked mine.

The two flats are there so that the dies can be opened to release the pressure die casting.

The O ring is 3 mm section and merely seals between the flat face of the upper casting (carrying the "works" and nozzle ), and the top of the reservoir.

It looks as if the O ring seats against the metal outside the thread in the top of the reservoir.

So the seal should be made between two flat faces, even if the lower one is narrow.

Are both surfaces free from defects / debris that would affect sealing?

Howard

Journeyman07/06/2021 16:14:38
1257 forum posts
264 photos

A question that unfortunately has to be asked these days. Is it actually a genuine Reilang or a cheap imitation being sold as genuine?

John

larry phelan 107/06/2021 16:29:17
1346 forum posts
15 photos

My oilcan is a genuine "No -Name " product about 40 years old. Cannot understand why it does not leak, there must be something wrong with it. I cannot bring it back since I have long forgotten where I bought it.

I feel so let down !cheeky

Bryan Cedar 107/06/2021 18:05:10
127 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 07/06/2021 15:40:03:

Hi Bryan,

Have just checked mine.

The two flats are there so that the dies can be opened to release the pressure die casting.

The O ring is 3 mm section and merely seals between the flat face of the upper casting (carrying the "works" and nozzle ), and the top of the reservoir.

It looks as if the O ring seats against the metal outside the thread in the top of the reservoir.

So the seal should be made between two flat faces, even if the lower one is narrow.

Are both surfaces free from defects / debris that would affect sealing?

Howard

Hi again Howard.

Surfaces are fine. Cannot understand how an O ring would work as lower surface of container is only about 1.5mm wide and would squeeze O ring to one side. Perhaps a non stretchy type would be needed. I tried an identical flat washer perhaps of a different composition and it works OK if not screwed up too tight. The design is all wrong as there is no groove or channel to stop the sealing washer being squeezed out. I may machine an outer sleeve that is a tight fit on the container that embodies a raised edge to prevent the side movement of the washer.

There are signs of seepage from the plunger when the can is laid on its side. These oil cans are certainly over rated.

One should not have to do such things. I still have the option to return the oil can to to Amazon.

Clive Foster07/06/2021 18:57:00
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Maybe its time to dust off the back issues and unearth the Eagle 66 copy plans and article. By Stewart Hart I think.

On my round-tu-it list. But rather far down.

Often felt that the common oil can oil leak / drip issues are due to residual air pressure in the spout and body. If the only way out is fully or partially obscured by an oil film it's going to leak. I'm pretty sure the main drips from my "no-name" Westco(?) knock offs purchased from a car accessory shop mumble mumble years ago are due to residual pressure in the spout.

Seems that modifying the Eagle copy valving to de-pressurise the spout and body once pumping stops should be possible. Difficult part will be getting the delay right. Too short and it will need full or partial re-priming after every pump. To long and it will still drip. It is said in certain quarters that one of the springs on the floating valve has been varied over the years in attempts to suppress any leak tendency without interfering with the priming process.

Oil viscosity will have a major impact so a fixed system may be difficult.

Any decent oil has creeping tendencies so little encouragement is needed to promote escape.

Clive

JasonB07/06/2021 19:00:31
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I'd never thought of them as suitable for storage in anything but the upright position. They do make some with a cap for the spout which may be more suited for carrying about in a toolbox.

Neil Lickfold07/06/2021 20:28:52
1025 forum posts
204 photos

Is it leaking from the thread seal, or is it leaking from around the pump lever when placed on it's side?

Mine has to be stored upright. I have no oil cans that can be stored sideways. Mine all leak from around the pump lever.

Bryan Cedar 107/06/2021 21:09:37
127 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Neil Lickfold on 07/06/2021 20:28:52:

Is it leaking from the thread seal, or is it leaking from around the pump lever when placed on it's side?

Mine has to be stored upright. I have no oil cans that can be stored sideways. Mine all leak from around the pump lever.

Hi

It is leaking from the thread seal and slightly from the pump lever rod. It never occurred to me that these so called the Rolls Royce of pumps could not be stored on their sides. I can modify the seal washer system by machining a collar to hold the washer from being squeezed out of position.

Robert Butler07/06/2021 21:30:46
511 forum posts
6 photos

I have several of these oil cans and they are excellent. The flat base of large diameter perhaps gives a clue as to the intended orientation when not in use. I cannot think of any other oil can I have, or seen which would not leak when stored on its side. In fact I have Wesco's old and new which leak when stood in the upright position??!!

Robert Butler

Chris Kirby 108/06/2021 07:48:03
8 forum posts

I have a Reilang number 3 bought secondhand some years ago that has full threads, no flats. From memory I changed the flat washer, which I think was cork and breaking up, to an o ring. Fine oil can but can't say about leaking when laid down, it liveson the shelf.

Chris

Michael Gilligan08/06/2021 08:50:10
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

This is why they [are] [were] [should-be] so good: **LINK**

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/search?q=pn%3DUS2765963A

It would be interesting to see how ‘current production’ compares. dont know

MichaelG.

On Espacenet: the column of three dots offers a download

Howard Lewis08/06/2021 10:30:50
7227 forum posts
21 photos

My Reilang is always hung over the edge of an old bakingb vtray, on a high shelf. Which explains why I have never experienced oil leaking when it is on its side.

Certainly, in use, it is at a wide variety of angles, and never leaks. But possibly not ther for long enough.

Try storing it up righti. If it doesn't leak when in use, problem solved.

In my book it functions as it should (Better than may others ) so is fit for purpose.

I don't expect that the design brief covered storage lying down.

Howard

Mike Poole08/06/2021 10:44:52
3676 forum posts
82 photos

An interesting link Michael, apart from the details of the oil can it explains the root of the name Reilang (Reinhold Langguth)

Mike

Bryan Cedar 108/06/2021 10:47:24
127 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 08/06/2021 10:30:50:

My Reilang is always hung over the edge of an old bakingb vtray, on a high shelf. Which explains why I have never experienced oil leaking when it is on its side.

Certainly, in use, it is at a wide variety of angles, and never leaks. But possibly not ther for long enough.

Try storing it up righti. If it doesn't leak when in use, problem solved.

In my book it functions as it should (Better than may others ) so is fit for purpose.

I don't expect that the design brief covered storage lying down.

Howard

Hi Howard

The only reason that my Reilang needed to be stored on its side was to pack in my tool box to take to track, too tall to place upright. I have discovered that a PTFE sealing ring is available in Germany at over $9 plus excessive shipping charge. The claim is made that the PTFE one is more chemical resistant. It seems that Reilang are aware of a problem with the rubber seal. The German site states that the O ring was replaced with a flat rubber washer. Answer may be to machine a PTFE washer although not sure that PTFE would make a good seal.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate