Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Hairline crack in CH boiler

Short term repair solution

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Wood 408/12/2020 19:54:56
257 forum posts
14 photos

We have a very ancient gas boiler that is well past its sell by date and it has developed a small hairline crack on the outside of the cast heat exchanger that spurts a fine stream of water when the boiler is running.

The replacement of the boiler in the short term is not a budgeted option.

Question therefore is there an epoxy or similar that could effect a repair to get us through Christmas ?

Edited By Alan Wood 4 on 08/12/2020 19:57:29

Alan Waddington 208/12/2020 20:02:23
537 forum posts
88 photos

Sorry to break it to you, but classed as ‘immediately dangerous’ in the trade. Any attempt at repair would be a bodge. My advice is don’t use it, sell a kidney or whatever it takes and get a new one.

Grindstone Cowboy08/12/2020 21:00:05
1160 forum posts
73 photos

If it was mine, I'd be very tempted to try one of the leak sealers first - not much lost if it doesn't work, although it does sound like your leak may be too big for it to have much hope.

Or there's always metal-stitching, but I guess you'd be fast approaching the cost of a new boiler with that.

In which case I'd recommend Intergas, can be set up as a pressurised or system boiler.

Rob

Robert Atkinson 208/12/2020 21:04:15
1891 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Alan Wood 4 on 08/12/2020 19:54:56:

We have a very ancient gas boiler that is well past its sell by date and it has developed a small hairline crack on the outside of the cast heat exchanger that spurts a fine stream of water when the boiler is running.

The replacement of the boiler in the short term is not a budgeted option.

Question therefore is there an epoxy or similar that could effect a repair to get us through Christmas ?

Edited By Alan Wood 4 on 08/12/2020 19:57:29

While I would agre that repair is not a good idea, it is possible if really desperate.

The info below is just an idea, you must make your own assesssment and choice. If you do this I accept NO RESPONSIBILITY for any damage or injury. IT IS AT YOUR RISK!

A capillary action sealant such as Loctite 290 could be used
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/threadlockers/loctite_290.html
Note it says " The product can also fill porosities in welds, castings and powdered metal parts "
It is good to 150 deg C.
Applying it is another matter. You need to drain the system to below the crack and dry the crack completely. A hot air gun (paint stripper) is ideal for this. Then let it cool to about 30-40 deg C (just warm to touch) before appplying loctite. Wet the crack fully for several seconds but mop up any drips or runs. Leave for 5 mins, wipe off surface then leave as long as possible, ideally >3 hours before refilling system.
If the boiler leaks after this or starts to leak again stop using it as the crack may be growing.
In any case REPLaCE THE BOILER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Flame suit on.

Robert G8RPI.

Edited By Robert Atkinson 2 on 08/12/2020 21:06:47

J Hancock09/12/2020 14:07:07
869 forum posts

Don't even think about it.

Somehow, you need to find a 'used' direct replacement, usual source, plumbers, etc.

Former Member09/12/2020 14:31:24
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Dave Halford09/12/2020 14:33:43
2536 forum posts
24 photos

What is the point of sensoring an O P when the rest still works????

This is obviously not a pressurised boiler so leak sealer may work, B&Q etc etc , works for holes in radiators.

not done it yet09/12/2020 14:38:08
7517 forum posts
20 photos

It would appear from your post that this leak only ‘spurts’ while the boiler is operational. That likely means it is leaking more slowly when off/cold?

Heating may be enlarging the crack due to expansion stresses or the circulation pump is creating rather more pressure than just the static head. If the crack is elongating at each heat cycle the problem may escalate more quickly as time progresses.

The liklihood is that you will suffer a serious flood in the imminent future. Most systems are well protected from explosion but an old boiler may have an inoperative PRV and/or non-functional shut down in the case of over-heat. There may also be a risk with water around electrical parts.

The obvious routes are to change the heat exchanger or the complete installation.

If it is a short term problem with money, your bank will likely provide an overdraft facility which will only cost while overdrawn - not like a hire purchase contract (or loan sharks!).

Doing nothing is a risky choice. Trying to repair is likewise usually a futile exercise and might make things worse.

Total failure over the Christmas/New Year period might double or treble the labour costs involved.

My advice is to get it fixed pronto. Further, insurance companies don’t like claims where the failure is known to be imminent and still ignored - and have been known to decline cover in those situations.

Dave Halford09/12/2020 14:39:00
2536 forum posts
24 photos

As to boiler replacement you do not have to have a Combi if you don't want one

Former Member09/12/2020 14:40:49
1085 forum posts

Former Member09/12/2020 14:44:36
1085 forum posts

not done it yet09/12/2020 14:51:37
7517 forum posts
20 photos

As to boiler replacement you do not have to have a Combi if you don't want one

Dave is right on that one. No need to install a condensing boiler either.

I decided on a usual slightly lower efficiency balanced flue type when my previous boiler failed. That was about 15 years ago. I doubt a newfangled boiler would have made any savings in that period because the boiler does not get very much use - and any new fangled boiler would likely have needed changing again since then!

Edited By not done it yet on 09/12/2020 14:54:33

not done it yet09/12/2020 15:00:49
7517 forum posts
20 photos

The non insurance employed members seem to know better.

Please don’t include me in that lot. I am for insurance, but I don't necessarily trust the insurance companies, particularly the cut-price ones. They try to reduce any claim by as much as they possibly can.

It also helps, if you quote me, to change the font or use inverted commas to show it is not part of your posting.

mgnbuk09/12/2020 15:04:43
1394 forum posts
103 photos

Recent changes to boiler regs

I decided on a usual slightly lower efficiency balanced flue type when my previous boiler failed. That was about 15 years ago.

Rules regarding replacement boilers changed in 2018. Fitting a "lower efficiency" boiler today would appear not to an option.

I would not go for a combi boiler either - system boilers are still available. I don't know of anyone who has a combi boiler that has not had reliabilty issues at some point.

Replacement boiler grants are available in some cases that may help reduce the financial pain ?

Nigel B.

Former Member09/12/2020 15:13:36
1085 forum posts

not done it yet09/12/2020 15:24:49
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by br on 09/12/2020 14:44:36:

My advice is to get it fixed pronto. Further, insurance companies don’t like claims where the failure is known to be imminent and still ignored - and have been known to decline cover in those situations.

My point exactly

The non insurance employed members seem to know better.

br

Plagiarised from my post at 14:38:08, then?

Former Member09/12/2020 15:33:21
1085 forum posts

Former Member09/12/2020 15:33:22
1085 forum posts

John MC09/12/2020 16:06:24
464 forum posts
72 photos

I would be interested in why the boiler has failed like this. Corrosion would be my guess, possibly fatigue?

I think welding, by a competent welder (coded or whatever its called these days), would be an entirely satisfactory repair if the cause of failure can be determined and insurance companies can be convinced. The cost of this and getting the "gasman" to remove, strip, assemble and re-install the boiler may well cost as much as a new boiler.

Some 35 years ago I installed a "Trisave" condensing boiler. It split its heat exchanger (aluminium) clean in half. Only noticed when the cover was removed for servicing. A call to the manufacturer said not to worry, they all do that. They are welded together to make machining and initial assembly easier, no risk of a leak.

John

duncan webster09/12/2020 17:06:09
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I've been in this house nearly 40 years, I'm on my second combi boiler and it's still going strong. The only problem with this latest has been a failed sensor, the flashing light on the front tells you which one, but don't trust any old plumber, they need a bit more thinking about.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate