Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Could bigfoot be real?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Colwill21/03/2020 11:11:19
782 forum posts
40 photos

Having spent some time tidying up in my workshop, I have come across something I didn't think existed. A bench! I have seen photos of these but had always thought they must be staged. I can't believe that I have actually found one.

Anyway as the spring clean continues I am now looking to find other mythical things. Bigfoot, a unicorn, a flying saucer perhaps even.... A lathe!

No wait, let's not be silly. Everyone knows they aren't real!

Regards.

David.

pgk pgk21/03/2020 11:14:06
2661 forum posts
294 photos

You'll find bigfoot when you drop the chuck.
It's the floor that's hard to find - just a little further..Yay, that's what happened to that spring...

mgnbuk21/03/2020 11:22:22
1394 forum posts
103 photos

I have come across something I didn't think existed. A bench!

Rumour has it that I might have a couple of those somewhere in the garage. Maybe I should try this " spend some time tidying up in my workshop " idea - though it is rather a strange concept. Should I be brave enough to try this "tidying up", what do I do with all the "stuff" ?

Nigel B.

pgk pgk21/03/2020 11:31:25
2661 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by mgnbuk on 21/03/2020 11:22:22:

I have come across something I didn't think existed. A bench!

Rumour has it that I might have a couple of those somewhere in the garage. Maybe I should try this " spend some time tidying up in my workshop " idea - though it is rather a strange concept. Should I be brave enough to try this "tidying up", what do I do with all the "stuff" ?

Nigel B.

After my car got eaten I decided to install a RatMat but first had to clear out the barn and cut out some cattle bars. Local Scrappy mate helped me out - two four-wheeler trailer fulls. Sometimes it's just best to say goodbye to the hoard..

Hopper21/03/2020 13:32:39
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Be very careful. There are many blurry photographs of alleged work benches that you see snapped by people in your situation. Usually taken on the fly, through piles of junk, as they catch an unexpected glimpse of the alleged work bench. But careful follow up research by qualified shedologists has failed to find conclusive proof that such a thing exists in reality.

Many of them are simply large sheets of plywood laid flat on top of a pile of junk at some point in the past by someone who then went on to build up a further pile of junk on the top of the plywood. When the top pile is removed, the piece of revealed junk plywood can often be mistaken by the amateur for a workbench.

Giveaway signs usually include the pile of solid junk underneath the flat, alleged benchtop-like flat surface and sometimes a second sheet of junk plywood laid flat on top of an initial layer of junk about halfway between the top flat surface and the garage floor, giving the impression of a storage shelf. Often this faux shelf is covered with half used tins of paint so old it has turned solid in a bid to approximate benchness.

The presence of a vice attached to one end of the top flat surface is not regarded as proof of benchness. Over the years many merry pranksters have attached vices to pieces of scrap plywood, old doors laid flat and the like in order to fool unsuspecting bench-seekers.

One way to test what you have for true benchness is to take a small, round, very expensive and totally irreplaceable component from any rare mechanical device and place it in the centre of the flat surface you have uncovered. If the part rolls immediately toward the wall behind the flat surface then disappears down the gap, never to be seen again, it's a bench.

Neil Wyatt21/03/2020 17:22:17
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

laugh

magpie21/03/2020 17:53:22
508 forum posts
98 photos

I know I had a bench in the shed once because a tiny bit of it is still there. I think a time lord is slowly dragging it into the past as I have hazy visions of long abandoned projects disappearing into the distance where the end should be.disgust

Dek

JC5421/03/2020 20:00:07
154 forum posts
14 photos

laughyes Nice one Hopper. John

Nigel Graham 221/03/2020 20:56:12
3293 forum posts
112 photos

One thing's for sure... model-engineering is the hobby least likely to be taken up by a Feng-Shui Consultant.

Could be a challenge to them though...

'

'" Yes, I understand the lathe should be aligned NNE by SSW with the headstock at that end... but its 7 feet long, the shed's barely six wide and I've to stand on this side to use it... '"

'

Hopper - the part that vanishes never to be seen again, will be. Only, long after you've made a replacement, when looking for some other small part that's rolled off the bench or that which passeth for such; and has become invisible in its turn.

Geoff Theasby22/03/2020 01:17:12
615 forum posts
21 photos

Hopper,

Yes it is real! Observe, door laid flat, bearing vestigial vice, but with amateur radio station built on it it.

Below left is a component cabinet, with another full of wall-warts to the right. In the kneehole, spare transmitting valves, reference books, cable reels and paint, No room for knees. (Sings - "F'r knees a jolly good fellow...." Radio shack

Edited By Geoff Theasby on 22/03/2020 01:18:09

Plasma22/03/2020 07:45:34
443 forum posts
1 photos

It's long been my intention to have a bench, but something I have not got round to in this new house (well three years is a short time to do anything really).

The absence of a bench can be limiting, there is nowhere to leave part built projects while a start another project.

Every horizontal surface is pressed into use instead of using a bench, milling tables, lathe trays, shaper vices, all become storage spaces for varies items over time.

Similarly I lose floor area when pressing it into service as a temporary tool box. Most of my tools have permanent homes but find themselves relegated to the floor until I need them again.

The upside is that my flexibility and core strength is maintained as I dance my way between various islands of floor space in the shop, gracefully navigating the table of tooling. Until that is I am halted by finding a long lost item with a shin or hip.

If I had room for a beach I know it would soon be engulfed in the same kind of mess the rest of the shop enjoys, so I soldier on without one.

Maybe I will use this quiet time to clear away some of the stuff to its rightful place, then spend the recovery period looking for it.

Mick

Flywheel22/03/2020 08:52:20
34 forum posts
1 photos

Maybe the answer is a bench with a sloping top!!!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate