By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Flywheel

Here is a list of all the postings Flywheel has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Zyto lathe problem
11/04/2022 09:39:56

This id a mod I made to my Grayson lathe it could also be done on the Zyto by using parts from an old hand drilldscf1832.jpg

Thread: An unpleasant nocturnal experience.
11/01/2022 11:48:43

Back in the 1960's a friend of mine was manager of a local Coo-op store, the staff toilet was on the upper floor, whilst sat there one day minding his own business he heard a movement in the water under him, yes it was Mr Rat - talk about a rat up a drainpipe!

Peter

Thread: 80th birthday
20/11/2021 07:28:14

For the man who has everything how about a Belly button brush?

Peter

Edited By Flywheel on 20/11/2021 07:30:05

Thread: New Chuck won’t screw on
29/07/2021 10:07:07

897199.jpg

These are the taps that I purchased for sorting out the myford backplate threads,

when I dug them out of the shed they where not Draper has I thought but made by Garvin and are Whitworth not BSF (apologies for the error in my earlier post)

I have checked on the Garvin website but sadly they are no longer listed

Peter

28/07/2021 19:06:41

I had a similar problem with backplates some years ago, at the time I purchased a set of taps 1-1/8 x 12 tpi BSF made by Draper, these have served me well over the years in sorting out faulty backplates. The spindle nose thread is 55 degrees and most certainly NOT 60 degrees.

I am based in South Yorkshire and if anyone who lives in my neck of the woods has any problems with backplates or chucks etc please message me and you will be welcome to come and use the taps to sort out your problems

21/07/2021 19:48:48

Richard, check your inbox I have sent you a message

Peter

Thread: Rufforth Metal Man
25/01/2021 17:04:50
Posted by Hollowpoint on 25/01/2021 13:31:23:

Which one?

The older guy and his wife packed in last year unfortunately. 😔

Did he pack in as retired or is it just Rufforth that he no longer attends?

I had a lots of metal from him in the past and his prices were very reasonable

Peter

Thread: A Certain Age
11/12/2020 13:08:31

We are thinking of having a high speed stairlift fitted so that we get upstairs before we forget what we have gone up for

Thread: Which adhesive to use
04/12/2020 13:52:34

Many thanks for all the advice and info, I have used the Evo stick impact adhesive and am please to report that everything is is now assembled and the clutch is working fine

Regards

Peter

30/11/2020 10:03:20

Thanks for that info John, and it's certainly worth a try, but it means me making a new cone because obviously the one I have made has a gap between the two mating surfaces for the leather, but if I can get hold of another lump of metal I will give it a go.

I believe that the Myford Super7 clutch is metal to metal, can anyone confirm this for me please?

Peter

Edited By Flywheel on 30/11/2020 10:04:04

30/11/2020 07:40:40

Many thanks to you all for the info advice and suggestions.

In reply to Clive, the adhesive I used I can confirm is Evo epoxy glue

I think the advice from John Fletcher is the way to go, after all the imoact adhesive has lasted 29 years ! I did obtain some violin rosin when I started the project in advice of something I read on this forum re the clutch. John have you not replaced the leather during the 29 years since you made the clutch?

Once again my thanks to you all that responded to my appeal

regards

Peter

29/11/2020 13:59:12

I have made a clutch for my ML7 as described in the June/July 1991 issue of MEW by Alan Buttolph and everything works fine and fits, but I have a problem in attaching the leather to the cone, I have used an epoxy adhesive as suggested in the article and when I put the cone in the lathe to skim to size the leather rips from the cone even when taking a very light cut with a very sharp tool.

The adhesive I am using is Evo stick epoxy metal adhesive and the leather is from a very good quality belt. also the cone is steel and not aluminium as per the plans, I also roughed up the surface of the cone before using the adhesive.

Any suggestions welcome

Thread: Will cash become obsolete ?
07/04/2020 18:54:24

If we became a cashless society wouldn't it put an end to autojumbles, car boot sales and jumble sales etc. etc. etc.???

Thread: Could bigfoot be real?
22/03/2020 08:52:20

Maybe the answer is a bench with a sloping top!!!!

Thread: Myford Gearbox drain seal washer
09/11/2018 08:56:30

Mark, are you sure it is leaking from the drain plug? I had a leak on my gearbox which came from the hidden captive screw which is inside the box, this hidden screw has a rubber washer between the box and the lathe bed and that was where my leak came from, looking at the front of the g/box at the bottom left hand side there is a screw plug which  has to be removed to let you get to the hidden screw, but sadly the g/box has to be removed to replace the rubber washer, on Myfords drawing of the g/box the drawing numbers of the parts are 136, 137 and 138 (hope this is of some help)

Peter

Edited By Flywheel on 09/11/2018 08:57:17

Thread: zyto lathe lead screw
06/05/2018 09:06:52

Can some kind member of the forum tell me what is the diameter, TPI and thread form of the lead screw that is used on the Zyto lathes - I presume that the same size is used on all the various versions, I also read that the change gears are the same 20 DP as the Myford, can anyone confirm this please, also can anyone tell me the size of the headstock spindle thread?   

Peter

Edited By Flywheel on 06/05/2018 09:14:31

Edited By Flywheel on 06/05/2018 09:16:02

Thread: Myford paint colour
09/04/2017 08:31:24

I have just ordered one of those high speed chair lifts so I get upstairs before I forget what I've gone for!

Thread: 25 years of Model Engineers' Workshop Special
05/07/2015 07:53:42

There are still a few copies on the shelf in WHS in Meadowhall, Sheffield as of yesterday.

Thread: how to unsubscibe
14/02/2014 08:46:02

Go to the bank and cancel your direct debit to be on the safe side

Thread: Myford Industrial Stand Wiring
09/12/2013 07:57:20

HI Stephen,

my Super7B is mounted on the industrial stand, when I bought it some years ago I got in touch with Myfords who put me on to their electrical expert who assured me that the switch panel on the industrial stand cannot be adapted to single phase wiring, so I bypassed the panel and simply fitted a modern no volt on/off switch which has been working OK ever since,

regards

Peter

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate