Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Making a superglue chuck adapter for brass wheel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris TickTock23/12/2019 21:53:42
622 forum posts
46 photos

Hi, Clickspring makes his clock wheel blanck by supergluing his brass rough cut to an adapter. Question I have a Sherline lathe is machining an aluminium adapter suitable and are rings needed to aid the glue setting as an old post stipulates/

Chris

John Haine23/12/2019 22:16:54
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Chris, why don't you try it for yourself and report back?

Jens Eirik Skogstad23/12/2019 22:24:44
400 forum posts
22 photos

I've used super glue to hold parts on the self-made flat disc that can't be attached to the chuck. Holds very well without being knocked out by turns from turning tools. Released by heat from torch lamp.

Chris TickTock23/12/2019 22:30:45
622 forum posts
46 photos
Posted by Jens Eirik Skogstad on 23/12/2019 22:24:44:

I've used super glue to hold parts on the self-made flat disc that can't be attached to the chuck. Holds very well without being knocked out by turns from turning tools. Released by heat from torch lamp.

Thanks Jens, does your adapter have rings to help the glue dry and if so what spacings?

Chris

Michael Gilligan23/12/2019 22:59:50
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Chris TickTock on 23/12/2019 21:53:42:

[…] are rings needed to aid the glue setting as an old post stipulates/

Chris

Chris

Could you please let me know where you saw that post ?

... Frankly, I don’t understand the stipulation.

Rings [grooves] are often turned on the chuck as an aid to rough centring the work, but I have never heard of them being used to aid setting of super-glue [which is typically anaerobic curing]

MichaelG.

Jens Eirik Skogstad23/12/2019 23:25:51
400 forum posts
22 photos

I has rings on disc, but the surface must not be polished to get the super glue into the surface and keep better. After the surface is applied with super clue, press the part well on disc then spray accelerator on glue. Then the part is ready to work with lathe. Not in lathe only. You can glue the two parts to example steam chest and cover plate exactly positioned before drill the hole or mill on the side with two parts in same time etc.. then the place of drill hole and size of measure is exactly in both parts.

JasonB24/12/2019 06:53:52
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/12/2019 22:59:50:

Chris

Chris

Rings [grooves] are often turned on the chuck as an aid to rough centring the work, but I have never heard of them being used to aid setting of super-glue [which is typically anaerobic curing]

MichaelG.

The rings aid in setting and positioning the work centrally on the plate not in helping the glue set, just like rings on a 4-jaw chuck.

Chris, they are not mandatory but do help particularly if your workpiece is close to size and needs to be "set" almost concentric.

J

Edited By JasonB on 24/12/2019 06:55:17

Jens Eirik Skogstad24/12/2019 07:27:02
400 forum posts
22 photos

Thin workpiece is not easy to turn on 4 jaw chuck. Use the center of the tailstock to center the workpiece who has punch mark or hole before light pressing it into place on the disc and allowing the superglue to dry. Then the workpiece is centered.

Michael Gilligan24/12/2019 07:46:53
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by JasonB on 24/12/2019 06:53:52:

Chris

Chris

MichaelG.

The rings aid in setting and positioning the work centrally on the plate not in helping the glue set, just like rings on a 4-jaw chuck.

Chris, they are not mandatory but do help particularly if your workpiece is close to size and needs to be "set" almost concentric.

J

Yes, I know that, Jason angel

... I was asking Chris for the source of the post that stipulated otherwise.

MichaelG.

Edit: It’s perhaps worth mentioning that if your want to accurately centre the work [by positioning it whilst it is rotating] ... the traditional Shellac ‘Wax’ is more suitable than superglue, as it remains sufficiently fluid until it cools.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 24/12/2019 08:16:08

IanT24/12/2019 09:31:17
2147 forum posts
222 photos

I was going to mention the very good articles on using wax chucks quite recently in MEW (or was it ME?).

I don't have the magazines to hand (or I would name the Author) but if he reads this, then thank you - I enjoyed reading them and will try some of the different methods you mention.

Regards,

IanT

PS Shellac can be purchased from Cousins UK - you'll need to get the semi-clear kind, which comes as a 'stick'.

Andrew Tinsley24/12/2019 10:03:40
1817 forum posts
2 photos

I use shellac in the form of flakes. Much easier to use than iso cyanoacrylate. Easier to centre as it doesn't grab and lower temperature required to fix and remove an object.

Andrew.

Michael Gilligan24/12/2019 10:03:52
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Chapter V of this book, which I have recommended before, provides a lot of useful information about the use of ‘Cement Chucks’ ... [although, unsurprisingly, nowt about superglue].

**LINK**

https://archive.org/details/watchmakerslathe00good

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 24/12/2019 10:07:11

Bob Stevenson24/12/2019 10:43:41
579 forum posts
7 photos

The best way to work on clock wheels is to use an off-cut of clear plastic sheet about 8 to 10 mil thick...it's not critical...cut roughly square (I use a rectangular piece now)....mark scored lines from corner to corner and mount in 4-jaw eoughly centred. Bore out to exactly the INSIDE dimension of the crossings you wish to make,....then cut a 'rebate' to exactly accept the wheel with a snug push-fit....thus the wheel is exactly mounted on centre of lathe....

Now bore the centre whole to fit the wheel collet you have made.......

Now remove from lathe and use the internal diameter as the filing guage for the inside of the crossings...the file will slip nicely off of the plastic as you get to the right place......a steel straight edge can be bolted across the piece so the the 'spokes' of the crossings can also be filed accurately.

The wheel can be put back in the lathe at any time by 'clocking' the inside bore of the plastic holder.

speelwerk24/12/2019 11:23:38
464 forum posts
2 photos

I do not use a wax chuck since most of the time it can be done a different way but here is someone who does: **LINK** . About the concentric circles he writes : "the grooves allow the shellac to enter and bind the work piece to the chuck" , which I think is total nonsens. Niko.

Martin Hamilton 124/12/2019 11:54:00
188 forum posts

Chris i recently made an 82mm diameter back plate for a chuck on my Sherline. I started with a round billet that was 90mm diam x 15 mm thick, i super glued the billet to a face plate & turned it with no problems at all. I was surprised how strongly it was bonded to the face plate when it was time to break the bond, used heat in the normal way but the bond was so strong. A lot more heat was needed to break the bond & this was with the parts held in the vice so plenty of force could be applied, even tapping with a hammer & more heat finally broke the bond, i didn't actually use that much super glue but i suppose it was over a wide area being the part diameter was around 3" diam. I would deff use even less glue next time.

IanT24/12/2019 13:30:42
2147 forum posts
222 photos

Just checked my back issues for "Making & Using Wax Chucks"

The Author was Tony Bird and the three articles were published in ME (not MEW) in late October & November.

Numbers 4623 to 4625

Regards,

IanT

Chris TickTock24/12/2019 17:14:19
622 forum posts
46 photos

i appreciate all replies and will note all for future reference. like bob's plastic idea. On the clock forum some spli opinion as to glue or arbours with an opinion that it really comes often down to the wheel in question.

Happy Xmas / break to all

Chris

Michael Gilligan24/12/2019 18:57:48
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Chris

Chris

[…]

I would be very interested to read the actual post

MichaelG.

Jimmeh24/12/2019 19:47:08
27 forum posts
12 photos

When I need to machine thin parts I start by placing a scrap piece of aluminium in the chuck, before facing it and adding a bunch of grooves (by eye). After using the chuck I give it a little skim to remove any glue retained on the surface. This also tends to break away glue from the grooves as well.

My take on the grooves is that they provide space for excess glue/wax to run into so that the part is pressed right up against the face of the chuck. I centre parts using a tailstock centre, and keep the tailstock pressed up against the part till the glue has set.

James

JasonB24/12/2019 19:55:01
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Michael this is where it may have come from. See "making the chuck"

The only way the grooves may help in some way is to allow excess to flow into the grooves much like water under a car tyre so you only have a thin layer between the chuck and part which will go off faster than if there was too much glue.

Edit James beat me to it with his thoughts on the grooves

Worth mentioning that care should be taken if the lathe is started with wet glue on the chuck as it may get thrown where you don't want it.

Edited By JasonB on 24/12/2019 20:02:57

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate