By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jens Eirik Skogstad

Here is a list of all the postings Jens Eirik Skogstad has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Diesel fuel
11/05/2021 16:39:34

Hi, someone who has not access to ether. then you will find diethylene ether in start gas spray can. Let it be in the freezerbox night over and make a little hole in the top of the spray can. Let the propellant be disappeared from the spraycan. Then make a larger hole in the top of the spray can and pour in the sealed flask to use when you want to mix own dieselfuel.

Dope/IPN is easy available: Glassfiber hardener in liquid form who are named methyl ethylene ketone peroxide.

Oil in the fuel is not critical to lubricate the model diesel engine. In case no castor oil is available, then use motor oil Sae 10W-40, 20W-50 or motor oil with higher viscosity.

Fuel such as the parafine can be replaced with other fuel to example diesel oil (road car diesel fuel), lamp oil, barbeque igniter fluid.

Thread: Attention! Rancid grease in semi-universal dividing head BS-0, BS-1, universal dividing head BS-2.
05/05/2021 21:00:16
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 05/05/2021 19:34:59:
Posted by Jens Eirik Skogstad on 04/05/2021 05:21:55:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/05/2021 23:05:01:

Is 'rancid' the right word?

Neil Wyatt,.. I do not have the right words to express, grease had become useless and hard that grease no longer lubricates moving parts.

Regards Jens Eirik

That's what I understood from your description, I think generally it's 'dried up' so the water has been lost from the emulsion, leaving the oily constituents as a hard wax.

Rancid suggests stinky bacterial/fungal spoilage (like with suds).

Neil

Neil,.. in our Norwegian language, we say that the fat has turned rancid when the fat has become hard and useless. Understandable that Norwegians and Englishmen have their opinions on the word "to turn rancid". face 23

Regards Jens Eirik

04/05/2021 05:21:55
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/05/2021 23:05:01:

Is 'rancid' the right word?

Neil Wyatt,.. I do not have the right words to express, grease had become useless and hard that grease no longer lubricates moving parts.

Regards Jens Eirik

03/05/2021 21:05:34
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 03/05/2021 20:58:43:

Thank you very much for that advice.

I have a similar dividing-head that I acquired looking as if unused (from a bereavement sale), and I too have noticed one or two strange hard spots in the rotation. And that was simply turning the main spindle by hand, without the worm.

Same I had the hard points in the bearings due hard grease inside when I released from worm gear.

03/05/2021 20:52:55

Hi all people who own Chinese made semi-universal dividing head BS-0, BS-1, universal dividing head BS-2.

When I used the dividing head, I discovered that there were hard points in the bearing, the crank did not feel the same all the way. Then I noticed that the workpiece that was milled was not in the center since I use an adapter with ER-32 collet attached in dividing head.

So I measured with the dial on the cone inside the dividing head and discovered that it was a throw. Tried to adjust the thrust bearing without it helping, still slack in the spindle.

So I disassembled the dividing head and discovered the grease was rancid and hard mass.
Washed all parts clean and free of rancid grease. These bearings was checked and found to not be damaged. Note: Replace bearings if damaged or hard points in bearings. Greased with new wheel bearing grease that I have lying in my workshop room. So I adjusted the thrust bearing, but still slack. Found that the length of the shaft was a bit too long. So I put a 3 mm / 1/8" thick disc that I have turned to adjust between the adjusting nut and the thrust bearing. Then there was no slack and reduced throw in the spindle.

In other words, the Chinese grease that was used to lubricate the bearings and gears in the dividing head was of poor quality that turns rancid and hardens over time.

Encourages you to clean and lubricate with bearing grease in the chinese dividing head so the quality of dividing head will be better.

Regards Jens Eirik

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 03/05/2021 20:53:45

Thread: Hylomar universal blue failed to seal oil?
24/06/2020 07:55:17

Clean up all parts free for oil with acetone and apply RTV or FIPG silicone gasket and reassembly.

Thread: Too large overlap = more high compression?
07/03/2020 23:45:01

Jason, the slide valve was not rotated in 90 degree.

07/03/2020 19:13:28

I will check again and find out if the slide covering the exhaust port is shorter or the same length between the two cylinder ports. I'll add more news if there is improvement with the twin compound steam engine.

It is not easy to measure exactly in such small dimensions in the steam machine so I take color on the slide and color print on the cylinder block to find out if it is larger or smaller in relation to the two inlet ports of the cylinder.

07/03/2020 17:21:28

The piston are not hit the covers, good clearance between piston and covers. The stroke is correct measured when i created the crankshaft. There is not hydraulic lock there. 

I'm thinking if the exhaust is close too early then compression will be too high to get turn over TDC.

Can the length of the slide valve be a bit larger to close a bit sooner to create low compression a bit before TDC? The excenter timing is still correct at 20 degree as in drawings.

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 07/03/2020 17:22:25

06/03/2020 21:09:05

Hi folks!

When i started up the compound steam engine, there is not easy to run over TDC both up and down. The piston stop long way from TDC either the piston is in up or down. The steam pressure is high enough 6 bar.

I suspect there is a bit large overlap in the slide valve compared to the valve opening in cylinder block. There is not fault with timing, the excenter is set to 20 degree (i has tried with 0 degree with same result). And the slide valve is centered in right place in both way.

Resolving the problem of reducing overlap by shortening the slide valve a little?

Thread: Cheap gear cutters from China
29/12/2019 16:37:08

Tried to cut in steel, cutter seem fine. I'm cutting mostly in cast iron, brass and aluminium. Use right rpm and cutting fluid to keep cutter cooled and sharp enough. It's not difficult to resharpen the cutter if worn out.

29/12/2019 15:51:24

Douglas Johnston..

I has the gear cutter same factory as your gear cutter where there is marked on gear cutter: 上hot工 (Shàng gōng).

Homepage Shang Gong: http://www.cccme.org.cn/shop/cccme0467/introduction.aspx

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 29/12/2019 15:54:33

29/12/2019 15:43:55

Brian Selby..

As rule in the dividing plate for indexing head: counts of hole + 1 hole for pin As usual newbeginners did fault when they count the hole with pin in the hole to example 5 hole instead 5 hole + 1 hole for pin at dividing plate for indexing head.

29/12/2019 15:02:46

I has a set of gear cutter, Module 1, 0.7, 0.5 from Alibaba, really cheap to buy. I'm satisfied the quality of the gear cutter, precise as i can see when i created the gear wheels.

Thread: Making a superglue chuck adapter for brass wheel
24/12/2019 07:27:02

Thin workpiece is not easy to turn on 4 jaw chuck. Use the center of the tailstock to center the workpiece who has punch mark or hole before light pressing it into place on the disc and allowing the superglue to dry. Then the workpiece is centered.

23/12/2019 23:25:51

I has rings on disc, but the surface must not be polished to get the super glue into the surface and keep better. After the surface is applied with super clue, press the part well on disc then spray accelerator on glue. Then the part is ready to work with lathe. Not in lathe only. You can glue the two parts to example steam chest and cover plate exactly positioned before drill the hole or mill on the side with two parts in same time etc.. then the place of drill hole and size of measure is exactly in both parts.

23/12/2019 22:24:44

I've used super glue to hold parts on the self-made flat disc that can't be attached to the chuck. Holds very well without being knocked out by turns from turning tools. Released by heat from torch lamp.

Thread: Model Turbines
21/12/2019 20:28:14

Mathematics related to steam turbine is not my strong thing. Only practical experimentation with failure and testing results in the creation of a fully usable steam turbine. With the reduction gear you get better use of steam turbine. Heavy turbine wheels + high revolution above 15 000 rpm = better torque due to stored energy in "flywheel". Small turbine wheel diameter is easy to get high revolution than a large diameter turbine wheel for same steam pressure/velocity.

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 21/12/2019 20:32:33

21/12/2019 20:26:31

Deleted due double post.

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 21/12/2019 20:33:31

21/12/2019 16:04:28

Hi Turbine Guy.. see at this link where i wrote about steam turbine. **LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate