Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

1-2K Which Mill?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Men Ifr12/10/2018 20:19:40
119 forum posts
10 photos

I currently have a SPG 9512 see https://www.spgtools.com/viewtooly.php?pid=22 I guess the equivelent would be like a Sieg X2 - but the Sieg would have a much stronger column base.

I have problems with deflection, and have to run the gibs so tight on the Z it's difficult to move up and down. The X and Y are OK - again I have to run them tight but a handle extension for more leverage on the X and everything seems to be working OK. For the Z I've blued the Z axis and the only contact is a thin strip at the front edge of the dovetail - almost as if the angle of the head is not the same at the column...

I don't have the time to resolve these issues and am willing to pay some more money for something more accurate.

My options would seem to be:

2nd hand industrial machine e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Myford-VM-E-Vari-speed-Milling-Machine-/192637275093?hash=item2cda138bd5%3Ag%3AU3IAAOSwyUtbgWyK&nma=true&si=bibyqg%252Fie21M8ZFlwacY7txlOmk%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 but would need to be single phase and it's probably too big for what i need in reality, I'm usually working on small parts.

£900 - £1250 for a Sieg X2.7 the column/bed probably isn't massively stronger than my current mill but would the manufacturing quality - gib strip contact be a lot better than my (exceptionally poor) SPG mill? This has tapered gibs, which I like the look of a lot but I'm not sure how they work i.e. they don't seem to pull a tapered strip up/down which I would expect... I could quite happily gamble on a X2.7 and not be too disappointed if it's not as good as I need.

£1500 for a sieg X3 stronger column but this seems to be the older design with tilting head (weak?) and allen grub screws for gigs (which I don't like - it's a poor engineering solution though maybe in reality they work as well as tapered gibs (though I doubt it)

£2250 for the New/fancy Sieg X3 - no tilting head tapered gibs, x and z powerfeed though sounds like the z powerfeed control is not well controlled enough for depth control while machining so would need to use the quill..

All thoughts are appreciated, really I just want a machine that is true in x,y,z and I do not have to spend a lot of time setting up or continuously fettling. The reason for an upgrade would be spending less time sorting a machine out and also less time with wasted parts due to inaccuracy..

Men Ifr12/10/2018 20:26:09
119 forum posts
10 photos

Or this turret miling machine from Warco

https://www.warco.co.uk/milling-machines/303311-vmc-vario-milling-machine.html

It s much more substantial at 415 kg compared to the similarly priced Sieg X3.5 - any idea how the quality of this machine would compare to the Sieg? (both made in China?) and I'd have to work out if/how it would fit in the garage as I think it's a much bigger machine.

Trevor Drabble12/10/2018 20:33:08
339 forum posts
7 photos

Quillstar ( Nottingham) Boxford VM30 £1250 ; Emco FB2 £1750 ; Emco Mentor £1450 . Trevor.

Neil Wyatt12/10/2018 20:43:47
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Trevor Drabble on 12/10/2018 20:33:08:

Quillstar ( Nottingham) Boxford VM30 £1250 ; Emco FB2 £1750 ; Emco Mentor £1450 . Trevor.

All with screw gibs and swivel heads, which the OP would prefer to avoid...

Ian P12/10/2018 20:45:36
2747 forum posts
123 photos

Out of the machines you list the one that appeals the most to me is the latest Arc machine. I looked at the specification and description after getting Arc's last newsletter and can honestly say that it was the first time I thought I would go for a far eastern made machine (if I was looking for a new machine). It looks really well thought out and comes with all the features that one usually has to add later. Some details (like the tapping control buttons) would not be easy to add oneself as a modification to a plain mill, and having the magnetic scales integral with the machine is just plain common sense.

I consider the lack of tilting head is a good thing! On my Emco I have fitted extra clamping plates/brackets so it never goes out of vertical and I cope with angled work by tilting the job.

What sort of work you have in mind mind might influence you machine choice but everything else being equal the largest machine will give the most rigidity which is important even with small cutters and workpieces.

Ian P

JasonB12/10/2018 20:51:20
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

The X3 has never had a tilting head, I've had one for 111-12yrs and it does all I want, only adjust the screw gibs once every couple of years.

Assuming you mean the new SX3.5DZP then the Z axis just saves having to reach up to a handwheel to move the head too fast for boring under power. Also see the comments on theX power feed on ARC's site

Ian Skeldon 212/10/2018 21:01:16
543 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by JasonB on 12/10/2018 20:51:20:

The X3 has never had a tilting head, I've had one for 111-12yrs and it does all I want, only adjust the screw gibs once every couple of years.

Hi Jason,

Arc do list the SX3 as having a tilting head.

Ian Skeldon 212/10/2018 21:10:10
543 forum posts
54 photos

As it is the price range referred to by the OP I assumed that is the one he meant?

Harry Wilkes12/10/2018 21:31:28
1613 forum posts
72 photos

111-12yrs and here's me thinking Jason was not that old wink

H

JasonB13/10/2018 07:07:15
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Yes SX3 is a different machine to the X3. The X3 is older than the SX3 so I was trying to work out what machines you were on about as you mentioned old design. Both are still available.

The 3.5 is not a new replacement for the SX3 or X3 but a new machine placed between the SX3 and the larger SX4

Full line up plus the SX4 which they left off the right hand side

line up.jpg

Gib strips on the 2.7 size machines are tapered and have screws at each end to push them to the desired fit. If going for this size machine then I would go for the SX rather than the X

Can I ask what sort of accuracy you want from the parts you are making and what sort of cuts ( cutter, DOC, material) you were using that gave problems with rigidity on the SPG?

Edited By JasonB on 13/10/2018 07:08:43

Edited By JasonB on 13/10/2018 07:36:10

John Haine13/10/2018 09:30:20
5563 forum posts
322 photos

I hadn't picked up on the SX3.5. Looking at the picture of the X powerfeed, it looks very much like it may use a stepper motor - is this the case?

JasonB13/10/2018 10:09:53
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

24V gear head DC motor.

colin vercoe13/10/2018 10:39:08
72 forum posts

Second hand Tom Senior or Adcock Shipley for the best build quality

Men Ifr13/10/2018 12:01:25
119 forum posts
10 photos

There's a nice looking Tom Senior here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tom-Senior-M1-Milling-Machine-Dividing-Head/223166572981?hash=item33f5c3a9b5:g:CcYAAOSwwB5brgx~:rk:1f:0

But 3 issues:: similar to all older but better built machines:

1 - 3 phase and I don't know how easy/expensive/effective it is to convert to single phase?

2 - How difficult is it to change gear - moving belts? I find the speed dial and gearbox on My Sieg X2 type machine very easy (obviously)

3 - How do I know if the machine is worn in it's (possibly) 60 year life?

Men Ifr13/10/2018 12:21:14
119 forum posts
10 photos

Or this:

http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/Syil-X4-plus-CNC-Milling-Machine-with-4th-axis-syilx4os.html

£3K - but it does not run - has 'issues' with electronics - sounds like some boards are damaged and it's not possible to get replacements however maybe £3K for a (possibly) sieg x4 based machine with CNC ready ball screws and motors (though some motors may be damaged..) would be well worth it?

When looking at a mil to buy I would like to convert to CNC 'at a later date' but if that could be done sooner that would be much better...

I'm quite tempted by this but need to establish what machine it was based on and what CNC parts work or are damaged...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate