By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian P

Here is a list of all the postings Ian P has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: *Oct 2023: FORUM MIGRATION TIMELINE*
04/10/2023 20:23:45
Posted by JasonB on 04/10/2023 09:14:17:

As a bit of guidance for when you first get access to the new forum rather than rushing in and getting stuck can we ask that you please read the quite extensive "Help" section. This can be accessed from the green bar where I have circled below as well as a couple of other red buttons that will appear with "Help/FAQs" which takes you to the list shown below. You won't get the orange bar (that is for Mods) and the list of help items is a lot longer.

Not only will this help you get set up on the new forum but will help the long suffering Mods by saving us having to repeatedly answer basic questions that are covered on the help page. Remember some of your most active Moderators do it for Free and have limited time to spend on the forum so help us by helping yourselves. That way we can concentrate on sorting genuine questions and bug which are a higher priority. Also you will see I have set up some topics (new name for threads) for you to try things out and others for question sand comments try to use these rather than start a whole load of new topics that will be hard for the Mods to keep track of. These will be right at the top of the forum headings.

help me.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2023 09:18:57

On the assumption that the screengrab is a fair representation of what the forum will look like in about a weeks time, then I have a few observations that I would like to make. I don't want to pre-judge because I realise its probably work-in-progress and I know operability on portable devices was a requirement but a few things about the posted image confuse me. (I should point out that I have no web page layout skills or experience but as a lay person the following jump out at me)

Why does it need,

3 instances of 'Forums'

3 instances of 'Subscribe'

What are 'Features' (maybe its a lucky dip button!)

'Gallery' Is that the signed-in members own pictures?'

Main? top banner shows 'Modelling Hub' which I dont recall seeing before, but the page is not clear whether its ME or the MEW).

I accept that the page is a 'Help' page, but in that case it should not really need all the other banners and stuff carried over.

My best wishes to Darren and all the moderators, hope all goes well.

Regards

Ian P

Thread: LED Angel lights
01/10/2023 12:16:42
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 01/10/2023 10:09:53:

Posted by OuBallie on 30/09/2023 16:59:34:

[…]

Check my Album: Angel Eyes LED Light

Geoff - First post in some time

Edited By OuBallie on 30/09/2023 17:05:22

Good to see you back, Geoff yes

MichaelG.

+1

Ian P

Thread: DROs etc
25/09/2023 11:25:18

Brilliant Jason, was that from memory or searching?

Ian P

25/09/2023 10:59:26

Gray

The smallest read head (really small!) is to use a bare sensor and put it your own housing. Some time ago a poster here showed how he enclosed and terminated these tiny modules.

I have tried searching this site but cannot find the relevant thread, the poster gave part numbers, wiring diagrams etc. I think the sensors are made and supplied by a European (Swiss?) company.

I'm not sure if the one is this picture is the same but this poster 'Jed Martens' has not posted recently (if this link works!)

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/sites/7/images/member_albums/181671/846798.jpg

Ian P

Thread: Single phase speed control - VFD?
22/09/2023 16:58:05
Posted by Clock polisher on 22/09/2023 16:05:45:

I had a similar problem and wanted to control the speed of a lathe motor in as simple and inexpensive way as possible.

I bought one of those very cheap Pulse Width Modulator units from Amazon, it's rated at 230v input and 4000w output and cost about £5.

Wired a 13 amp plug and lead into the input and and a 13 amp socket into the output . The unit worked flawlessly, controlling the speed of the motor with no noticeable loss of torque, as it doesn't drop the voltage just the frequency.

I'm currently using it on a Sealey bench grinder for delicate tasks, just slow it down to tick over and it's fine.

David

I am very curious as to how a variable frequency 4Kw device can be made and sold at £5 and work flawlessly on (two different) motors.

What are the type of motors is it controlling?

Ian P

Thread: Following from grammar in the MEW 332 thread.....
20/09/2023 20:13:02

Just had a look down the list of thread titles in 'Latests Posts'.

(Just for fun and no criticism or offence intended to posters)

Milling Advice (can advice be milled?)

U Tube (that's new one on me)

Optical Elevator (not optical at all)

Information (that will really show up well in searches)

Play in new arbour for mill (more likely play in spindle?)

Measuring instrument storage (same as measuring anything else)

The above are just todays crop.

Ian P

Thread: Struggling to squeeze my balls hard enough
20/09/2023 19:54:27

It is best not to try and create a full concave recess that closely matches the ball surface, rather make a recess where most of the central area is relieved so the the ball is gripped just by an annular ring at the largest possible (for that size) ball diameter.

IanP

Thread: Play in new arbour for mill
17/09/2023 19:32:41

Running the spindle at the lowest speed is really only OK if its very slow, say less than 100 rpm. In any event the speed must not be fast enough to cause any bounce.

Whilst your plunger type indicator is not ideal you could probably just get the tip of it to bear on the on the inner surface at the mouth of the spindle taper bore.

Regarding the 'side by side' play you mentioned, its not really clear what you mean. I take it to be that you are turning the spindle slightly (CW and ACW) and seeing play in the driving splines? (if so, nothing to worry about).

If its 'side to side' movement and its not play in the bearings then it could be the quill is loose fit in the head casting.

Ian P

Thread: Optical Alignment Device
05/09/2023 13:40:29
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/09/2023 04:07:44:

You have not misunderstood, Ian

… this the optical equivalent of ‘tramming’

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 05/09/2023 04:16:27

I totally agree Michael.

However the device I saw in a Dan Gelbart video was for centering work for drilling/milling not tramming.

I will have to read the paper again but I did not get the impression that the accuracy of the optical device would be as good as using conventional (Spindle mounted DTI swinging over the table) but for its medical purpose it makse sense.

Ian P

05/09/2023 13:40:28
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/09/2023 04:07:44:

You have not misunderstood, Ian

… this the optical equivalent of ‘tramming’

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 05/09/2023 04:16:27

I totally agree Michael.

However the device I saw in a Dan Gelbart video was for centering work for drilling/milling not tramming.

I will have to read the paper again but I did not get the impression that the accuracy of the optical device would be as good as using conventional (Spindle mounted DTI swinging over the table) but for its medical purpose it makse sense.

Ian P

04/09/2023 21:37:15

Unless I have misunderstood the details in the abstract and the fuller description in the second link, I dont think this device will be any use for centering a workpiece.

Its purpose seems to be to (only) ensure that the window is perfectly perpendicular to the microscope optical axis.

Ian P

Thread: The crumbly concrete problem
03/09/2023 21:48:54

I think one of the facts I learnt (from the BBC I think) is that when rebar rusts in conventional concrete it causes visible spalling on the surface, whereas with RAAC, the expansion caused by the rust just compresses and crushes the aero surrounding it so is completely hidden externally.

Ian P

Thread: Screw type and thread for SCLCR1212H06 tool shank?
01/09/2023 20:44:40
Posted by JasonB on 30/08/2023 14:55:53:

Not colour coded when they are just bent metal like an Allen keysmile p

'Just bent metal'

Not sure that is how Unbrako, Wiha or PB would like their products described!devil

As regards colour coded Torx keys, I've answered my own question as I have found out that not only are mine different to SOD's, I also have T8's that are black and red.

Ian P

Thread: 'Homeworkshop.org' Is the site down?
01/09/2023 09:29:27

Dave nailed it, thanks.

I should have twigged when I wrote that I could not access the site from my phone (which uses the same BT Hub router). I just cycled the power on/off this morning and its all back to normal.

Ian P

31/08/2023 20:01:11

This site can’t be reached

www.homeworkshop.org.uk took too long to respond.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This Is all I get with Dave's link. I have cleared the Cache and deleted cookies. Oddly I get the same when I try on my phone.

Ian P

31/08/2023 19:42:35

I get the, 'site cannot be reached' message now for the last few days.

Ian P

Thread: Screw type and thread for SCLCR1212H06 tool shank?
30/08/2023 14:52:50
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 30/08/2023 13:33:46:

For info, Torx screws for holding inserts come in different sizes and the keys are colour coded:

dsc06822.jpg

Dave

Colour coded, but is a size always the same colour?

Ian P

Thread: Sewing machine motor
28/08/2023 17:20:17
Posted by duncan webster on 28/08/2023 14:50:16:

Thanks, I'll pass the info on....

Duncan

I would quite happily use one of these sewing machine motors on one of my projects and in my own workshop but would be wary of recommending them to someone unless they fully understand the 'risks'.

As I and others have mentioned their electrical safety does not comply with UK regulations. The two main shortcomings are that all of the wiring and circuitry is directly connected to the incoming mains supply and the fact that the connectors are not mains rated.

The speed control uses a magnet and a Hall effect sensor and whilst the sensor operates on 5V the 5V supply is not isolated so indirectly has a path to mains voltage. Even if one were driving the magnet position via a mechanical linkage the sensor wiring and its enclosure etc should be rated for mains voltages.

I have not done any detailed examinations of the have (but never got round to using yet) but I would imagine that even the keypad only has an easily damaged thin membrane between the operators finger and mains voltage.

Ian P

Thread: Forum Platform Changes - PLEASE READ
25/08/2023 11:56:01

Might be a bit late in the day to say it, but how do I read the 'Post on page 5'?

If it is not now relevant maybe just change the thread title.

Ian P

Thread: Improve 3-jaw chuck repeatability
08/08/2023 16:34:53
Posted by Sonic Escape on 08/08/2023 12:21:24:

Then I think it is time to try to remove the chuck to see where is the problem.

One more thing, if I push the chuck I can make the indicator to deviate by up to 0.025mm at 2cm from the chuck. Is this normal or maybe the bearings are worn out?

Have you calibrated or checked your 'push' for repeatabilitydont know

Not all pushes are equal

Ian P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate