Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Axminster Engineering Lathe Course - Update

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Carruthers15/10/2017 16:37:02
317 forum posts
23 photos

As requested a (brief) update on the Axminster 2 day Engineering Lathe Course I attended recently

The course ran 09:00 to 17:00 on consecutive days with 5 attendees. I felt out of my depth as I entered the training suite, one glance at the workshop immediately put mine to shame. However, Bob Rolfe soon put us all at relative ease - the SC4 lathe is a bit bigger than my WM180 with more features - though still familiar

Apart from tinkering over the past few months I haven't touched a lathe since 1977 at school, the basic principles haven't altered, but my confidence was more the issue, I want to do things the "right" way from the outset

In preparation I had read a couple of books though a couple of others remain unread

When I looked at a sample test piece and drawings my immediate response was that I would never be able to make a similar test piece to the same standard. But that's the point - develop the skills and expertise to make the test piece

Two days passed in a blur, an awful lot of information is imparted in such a short space of time. Of paramount importance is workshop safety, and honestly I had ignored or forgotten some simple stuff so am grateful I haven't injured myself previously and appreciate the *reminders*

Conducting the simplest operations gave me plenty to think about, which way does the tool move when turning the dial, and by how much? because the dials are calibrated in segments with length per segment ie 0.02mm per segment

Digital micrometer has been a revelation too, I knew my digital calipers were ok to a point, but the lack of accuracy really showed up when comparing to digital micrometer - problem now solved

I hadn't realised the calibration rings move either so zero can be set and pieces cut using the calibration rings. And as an aside, it turns out very few, if none, of the entry level machines are accurately calibrated before leaving the manufacturer (broad sweeping statement...) so the only way to get accurate dimensions off the machine settings only is with DRO

I digress...

I left the course thinking my WM180 is a piece of crap, but when I went back to my machine it turns out to be better than I thought, I do need to adjust the saddle but in all other respects - as far as I can tell - it is a pretty much spot on

As the course progressed, and as my confidence improved, I managed to produce a half-decent test piece. Still much to learn, but already with the skills I learnt and improved confidence I feel much more able to deliver precise results

Now my next challenge is to purchase a bigger lathe, because the WM180 just isn't long enough... and until Santa arrives I hope to go on the Axminster Milling course so I can get 2 prezzies, because I can already tell my mini-mill won't be big enough either

To finish, I cannot recommend the Axminster course highly enough. Bob is an excellent - and patient - instructor and throws in real-world experiences to back up the practice. The course has taken me from incompetent novice to competent but inexperienced novice with a desire to learn more

Ian Skeldon 215/10/2017 17:59:06
543 forum posts
54 photos

Sounds like you have enjoyed the course a lot, where are the courses held ie which county/town/city?

NJH15/10/2017 18:39:41
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Ian

I think you will find that it is Axminster in Devon - the home of Axminster Power Tools. A net search for them will give you a view of all the goodies available and details of courses. I do go over there from time to time ........ but it can get expensive as I always seem to find something that I need!

Norman

Keith Fox15/10/2017 18:57:38
36 forum posts

I went on the same course in August and I have to agree with Andy that I also cannot recommend this course highly enough. I had never done anything on the lathe before, although I had bought a small Chinese one. I was so impressed with the work piece that I managed to produce. I am thinking of going on the 5 day, lathe and milling course some time next year.

Unfortunately, when I cam back from the course I looked at my lathe and decided that it wasn't good enough so immediately order a Sieg SC4 (the same as used on the course) from Axminster.

Keith

not done it yet15/10/2017 19:13:42
7517 forum posts
20 photos

the only way to get accurate dimensions off the machine settings only is with DRO

Andy,

Not necessarily true. They would, of course, like you to purchase one! The accuracy is in the consistency of the lead screw threads, once you take up the backlash. DROs come in various flavours.

Those that highlight readings to 0.01mm may well have a much poorer accuracy (+ or - 0.04mm?), once you read the smaller print. Those that read to 0.001mm should be at least better than 0.01mm absolute - but they are rather more costly than the basic 0.01mm type.

Glad you enjoyed your course. Being safer is a good plus point on its own.

JasonB15/10/2017 19:17:56
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Also depends on what accuracy you think you need, I seem to manage without a DRO on my lathe, plenty of running models can't be wrong!

Bazyle15/10/2017 19:44:33
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Really curious as to what the test piece is - go on show us a picture.

Andy Carruthers15/10/2017 21:23:34
317 forum posts
23 photos

Regarding my comments on DRO - I tried to convey above that the lathes are only accurate to a point, and off-machine measurements give true accuracy. DRO are much better but still not necessarily accurate enough for some work. As I am learning, there are several ways to do things, but the lack of accuracy inbuilt into the lathe came as a surprise

I'll post a picture soon

Hopper16/10/2017 05:16:41
7881 forum posts
397 photos

How do you think they made Spitfires then? No DROs in those day, but plenty of accuracy.

Not unusual for lathe work to be done to tenths of a thou using the dials and operator's "feel". One trick they used was to turn the topslide to about 6 degrees. By using the topslide handle to put on the cut, one thou movement of the topslide moved the tool inwards by one tenth of a thou.

thaiguzzi16/10/2017 05:44:56
704 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by Hopper on 16/10/2017 05:16:41:

How do you think they made Spitfires then? No DROs in those day, but plenty of accuracy.

Not unusual for lathe work to be done to tenths of a thou using the dials and operator's "feel". One trick they used was to turn the topslide to about 6 degrees. By using the topslide handle to put on the cut, one thou movement of the topslide moved the tool inwards by one tenth of a thou.

Exactly!

Top slide trick is an oldie but goodie, especially with a shear tool in the tool post.

Andy Carruthers16/10/2017 06:21:53
317 forum posts
23 photos

@Hopper - please re-read exactly what I wrote and not what you think I wrote. My comment about DRO relates to the machine calibration, not how an operator compensated for the lack of machine precision. I am very aware there are excellent machinists producing superb work on imperfect lathes

Bazyle16/10/2017 09:22:39
6956 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by Andy Carruthers on 15/10/2017 16:37:02:

it turns out very few, if none, of the entry level machines are accurately calibrated before leaving the manufacturer

I think you may be running into metric > imperial compromises. A lot of lathes have a 1mm pitch cross slide screw then mark the dial in a way to make it look like thou divisions so of course they are a bit off. You just do a precise measurement at the last few thou.
However there was one period I believe when Myford used rolled threads which weren't quite accurate.

SillyOldDuffer16/10/2017 09:46:47
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Andy Carruthers on 15/10/2017 21:23:34:

... the lack of accuracy inbuilt into the lathe came as a surprise

Interesting point. I've noticed that many Model Engineers like to check their lathes, sometimes as a hobby in itself. Headstock and tailstock alignments, run-outs, bed wear, bed twist, levelling, Rollies Dad, etc. etc.

All very interesting but I don't think I've seen anyone mention careful testing for vibration, or confirming the accuracy of their lead-screws. I've come across both checks in professional sources. Can anyone explain why amateurs don't seem to bother much about vibration or their lead-screw accuracy?

Ta,

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 16/10/2017 09:47:19

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 16/10/2017 09:47:40

not done it yet16/10/2017 10:03:24
7517 forum posts
20 photos

On top of the above post, Myfords with a single lead screw (standing in in for a power feed drive) was a cost cutting compromise. Power feeds do not need to be so precise/accurate, but threading lead screws do. Wear on the threading lead screw, for power feeding, is not an ideal situation and will eventually lead to some inaccuracy along the length of the screw.

HOWARDT16/10/2017 10:43:04
1081 forum posts
39 photos

A DRO or any other device on a lathe indicates distance moved not the size of the part in the chuck. I allways use the dials as indication of movement and used a micrometer to tell me the size of the part.

Perko717/10/2017 13:16:26
452 forum posts
35 photos

Anyone know of similar courses available in Australia?? TAFE Qld used to have adult ed classes in all sorts of things but they don't seem to offer them any more.

Bazyle17/10/2017 13:25:34
6956 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 16/10/2017 09:46:47:
Can anyone explain why amateurs don't seem to bother much about vibration or their lead-screw accuracy

I think both are covered on the forum but couched in different terms such as headstock noise and leadscrew wear.

Brian Wood17/10/2017 17:45:21
2742 forum posts
39 photos

SillyOld Duffer,

I have measured the accuracy of the leadscrew on my ML7R lathe, using the most worn section in front of the chuck to do so and then extrapolate the measurement to the whole leadscrew length

The value I obtained was + 0.0018 inches in 25 inches of leadscrew. The positive figure indicates that the travel induced by the leadscrew is greater than for one of perfect pitch. The comparator for this measurement was the Newall DRO on the machine.

I thought that was pretty good for a well used hobby size machine and certainly not worth worrying about

Regards

Brian

NJH17/10/2017 19:40:53
2314 forum posts
139 photos

"Wear on the threading lead screw, for power feeding, is not an ideal situation " -

It's a valid point that, with the Myford, the leadscrew is used for powered feeds as well as for screw cutting - the question is though - how often do you use your lathe to cut screw threads ? In my case hardly ever. On the other hand powered cross and longitudinal feeds I use all the time.

Norman

Andrew Johnston17/10/2017 20:21:00
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by NJH on 17/10/2017 19:40:53:

the question is though - how often do you use your lathe to cut screw threads ?

Not as often as I use the power feeds, but nevertheless quite a lot, probably over a hundred. I rarely use circular dies on the the lathe. But my lathe does have separate feedshaft so I don't need to worry about wearing out the leadscrew.

Andrew

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate