Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Advancd Grinding Rest

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Durrant28/10/2014 16:48:16
44 forum posts
4 photos

And my wife thought that I was wasting my time in the garage for the last six weekssmileyp1040932.jpgp1040933.jpgp1040934.jpg

Bazyle28/10/2014 17:59:44
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Tell her you made it for her as an adjustable vase stand, but if she doesn't want it in the living room you will take it back to the shed.

Robin King28/10/2014 18:19:18
137 forum posts
1 photos

.....or a precision bread board?

Neil Wyatt28/10/2014 18:34:49
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Have you got a picture of it transforming back into a Lamborghini?

Seriously, I'm sure Harold will be very chuffed when he sees those pictures.

Neil

Boiler Bri28/10/2014 19:57:05
856 forum posts
212 photos

Nice work john, and tidy place too by the looks it.

Brian

Martin Botting 228/10/2014 22:54:44
93 forum posts
20 photos

Loverly job sir! another one of Mr Hall's thingy's on my "to do" list…

Till then the perfect 107.337 Deg cutting angle I can achieve by slinging my drills at the back door step will have to do.

please tell me that Dremel sanding drum is not what this is going to be used for…..

Edited By Martin Botting 2 on 28/10/2014 22:55:46

John Durrant29/10/2014 10:31:24
44 forum posts
4 photos

My wife did say that it would look nice on the mantle piece, and I have been coursed into making a rotary table for cake decorating.

I have to make all the attachments to go with the grinding rest, then the next project is the end mill grinding fixture as I have quite a collection of them that need done up.

Edited By John Durrant on 29/10/2014 10:32:49

martin perman29/10/2014 10:41:30
2095 forum posts
75 photos

John,

Re your rotary table for cake decorating, I used to be into Airfix kits etc and made a rotary table by using the end casing of an electric motor, I also cut down the motor shaft and then made a table.

Martin P

Harold Hall 129/10/2014 16:47:38
418 forum posts
4 photos

Well done John, you have made a fine example of the rest, certainly better than mine! My excuse though is that I would have been in a hurry to get it off to the magazine for publication. This particularly as it was part of a series and I never sent a series off to the editor until it was fully complete. Seriously though, with all the time in the world I doubt if I would have produced such a pristine result as yourself. I do particularly like your modified locking handles.

I assume from the photographs that you still have to make the accessories, some of which are essential to get the best from the device. However, with them complete you may like to look at my web site for the pages on using it. Whilst there are others the following two will help you for starters, as they will for others who have made the rest or the simpler rest which I have had published.

Shaping and Sharpening High Speed Steel Boring Tools at- **LINK**

Tool and Cutter Sharpening at- **LINK**

Perhaps these pages will also encourage others to make either of my two rests, both working in much the same way and using the same accessories.

Grinding Rest Basic at- http://www.homews.co.uk/page146.html

And Grinding Rest advanced at- http://www.homews.co.uk/page145.html

Harold

John Durrant29/10/2014 19:51:23
44 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks Harold, I found your pages on modifications to the rest after I had almost completed it. Your quick change tool post and holders also made the job easier.

Harold Hall 129/10/2014 21:16:59
418 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks John, your comments about the quick change toolholder have probably encouraged me more than the fact that you have made the grinding rest. This because the rest is very popular whilst to my memory you are only the second person I know who has made them. I have been thinking of making a video of it being used to publicise it more.

Having come from the electrical control systems industry, particularly employing large variable speed drives, I have been used to change , and often. Even going back over 60 years I saw the changes happening. Ariving at metalworking I soon learnt that the metalworking individual was far less likely to look for other ways for doing things. In many cases, a 2014 vice is probably not much different to a 1914 vice.

I probably get away with my grinding rests as there is nothing like it commercially, to my knowledge, the options being a fully fledged tool and cutter grinder or one of the simpler rests mainly aimed at the wood working fraternaty.

Unfortunately, I do not want to end up as Harold Hall, the man who designed the cutter grinding rest, but I will not be here to know.

If there is anyone reading this and saying, what "Quick change toolholder", look here- **LINK**

Harold

Ian S C30/10/2014 10:19:43
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Harold, there are worse things to be remembered for than an excellent tool.

Ian S C

Stovepipe30/10/2014 13:40:14
196 forum posts

Surely will be remembered as the excellent Harold Hall, metalworker extraordinaire !

Dennis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate