New Moderators

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt03/09/2020 19:22:09
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by martin perman on 03/09/2020 17:11:50:

can I aks a question please, if somebody posts something and its removed by a moderator does the postee get sent the reason why it was/will be removed or is he deemed guilty without a trial.

Martin P

3. CONTENT SUBMITTED TO THE WEBSITE

You acknowledge that MyTimeMedia does not always monitor Content (as defined below) submitted by users, but that MyTimeMedia shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to refuse or remove any Content that is available via the Website.

That's what the T&Cs say.

It isn't possible to commit to always giving an explanation and in many cases that might be more embarrassing for the poster than simply having their content disappear by drawing attention to their indiscretion. It can also defeat the purpose of a deletion, if an explanation just draws attention to something.

Note that it's not a matter of guilt; it's a matter of making a judgement that what's posted is best removed. Inevitably the original poster will almost always think what they posted was a reasonable thing to post - at least at the time - or they would not have posted it, although they can usually guess why it was removed.

If not they can, and sometimes do, ask the moderators for clarification.

Neil

ChrisH05/09/2020 21:42:12
1023 forum posts
30 photos

Bazyle posts a comment about spelling.

I have long maintained that no real engineer worth his weight can spell correctly through a whole phrase, let alone a whole sentence.

JasonB in his posts confirms my theory. Often has spelling mistakes, but as an model engineer producing superb models .......... am in awe of what he produces! And his experience in machining and advises given are invaluable to many of us less mortals. So no worries about spelling stuff correctly. Just JDI!

Chris

Andrew Johnston06/09/2020 20:24:48
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by ChrisH on 05/09/2020 21:42:12:

I have long maintained that no real engineer worth his weight can spell correctly through a whole phrase, let alone a whole sentence.

So that's where I've been going wrong. sad

I take the time to read what I've written before posting and try and correct spelling errors and grammar. So I must be a lousy engineer. Of course Chris is confused; engineering and model making are not the same thing at all. A good engineer might be good model maker and vice versa, but one doesn't automatically infer the other.

Andrew

Roderick Jenkins06/09/2020 21:45:56
2376 forum posts
800 photos

I'm sure that most of the spelling mistakes that we see are the result of using touch screens on phones and tablets and the consequent attempts from the spellchecker at interpretation, not ignorance.

Well, that's my excuse anyway.

Rod

David Davies 807/09/2020 07:51:21
202 forum posts
1 photos

Yesturday I cudnt spel injuneer, 2day i are wun. cheeky

Dave

SillyOldDuffer07/09/2020 09:48:03
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Let he who without sin cast the first stone!

People are good and bad at different things. Circumstances like dyslexia, amusia, educational gaps, and dyscalculia are not stupidity. Nor is struggling with unfamiliar technology, getting the wrong end of the stick, or posting in a hurry. Einstein-level genius Paul Dirac was famously incompetent in social situations, I suspect autism. Asked at a meal where he was going for his holidays, he thought silently for 15 minutes before replying: 'why do you want to know?'. Nobel Prize Winner fails simple social interaction despite being off-the-scale clever. I expect he drank red wine with fish too.

I admire skilled work in all forms. While I know how to calculate the depth of foundation needed to support a brick wall, I couldn't build a good one myself. My metalworking skills are below average too. Being clumsy and impatient in the workshop, I'm not qualified to criticise someone asking advice about bioler making.

In a friendly forum it's not polite to carp at trivial mistakes. Doing so invites retaliation and going too far makes you a bully. Errors of fact are different because our shared interest is Engineering. If I post Ohms Law as V=I/R, I should be corrected and I shouldn't take offence if the error is reported robustly!

Not about political correctness. It's about manners and tact. Please don't fart in church...

smiley

Dave

blowlamp07/09/2020 10:00:21
1885 forum posts
111 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 07/09/2020 09:48:03:

...I admire skilled work in all forms. While I know how to calculate the depth of foundation needed to support a brick wall, I couldn't build a good one myself. My metalworking skills are below average too. Being clumsy and impatient in the workshop, I'm not qualified to criticise someone asking advice about bioler making...

smiley

Dave

Bingo! devil

Ron Colvin07/09/2020 11:05:51
91 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by blowlamp on 07/09/2020 10:00:21:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 07/09/2020 09:48:03:

...I admire skilled work in all forms. While I know how to calculate the depth of foundation needed to support a brick wall, I couldn't build a good one myself. My metalworking skills are below average too. Being clumsy and impatient in the workshop, I'm not qualified to criticise someone asking advice about bioler making...

smiley

Dave

Bingo! devil

Bioler is a combination of letters that looks like it should be an actual word. I Google searched it to see if it was, Googles reply, "do you mean boiler".

My first thought on what a bioler could be, was, a musical instrument controlled by biorhythms.

Then I found out that there appears to be a US patent for such a device.

My final conclusion, I spend far too much time Googling trivia.

Vic07/09/2020 13:03:28
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Just out of interest but can mods see who is on a users Ignore list?

JasonB07/09/2020 13:07:51
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

They would have to log in as that user and then look at who may be in the list, not something the new mods can do.

Nick Clarke 307/09/2020 17:56:29
1607 forum posts
69 photos
Posted by Ron Colvin on 07/09/2020 11:05:51:
Bioler is a combination of letters that looks like it should be an actual word. I Google searched it to see if it was, Googles reply, "do you mean boiler".

My first thought on what a bioler could be, was, a musical instrument controlled by biorhythms.

Then I found out that there appears to be a US patent for such a device.

My final conclusion, I spend far too much time Googling trivia.

From the online dictionary

Ler - the personification of the sea and the father of Manannan: corresponds to the Welsh Llyr.

and

bio - a combining form meaning “life”

so a bioler must be a living personification of the sea!

Me, I'm off on the Internet with Ron!

Frances IoM07/09/2020 18:14:52
1395 forum posts
30 photos
Manannan was reputed to have the power to bring down a dense sea mist to protect his Island (Mann) from any attack - sounds as tho you have hit the same fog
Mike Poole07/09/2020 20:21:03
3676 forum posts
82 photos
Posted by Frances IoM on 07/09/2020 18:14:52:
Manannan was reputed to have the power to bring down a dense sea mist to protect his Island (Mann) from any attack - sounds as tho you have hit the same fog

He doesn’t seem afraid to use this trick during the TT, the island must be under attack quite often.smiley

Mike

Howard Lewis08/09/2020 19:10:04
7227 forum posts
21 photos

In my case, four things make for spelling errors.

1 Fat Fingers

2 An inability to type with more than two fingers.

3 Haste and forgetting to proof read before hitting SEND

4 A Wifi keyboard and mouse that are slow / fail to react. Pity I wrecked the hard wired ones!

As John Laurie would say "I'm doomed", as is anyone trying to read my posts.

Generally posts are good natured. Few get bitter and twisted, and possibly Neil removes posts that are getting too far outside the pale.

Good to know that we now have more folk prepared to watch over us, and protecting us from trolls, hackers and others with evil intent.

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate