Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Noise Cameras

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
pgk pgk12/06/2019 14:24:11
2661 forum posts
294 photos

The ignition backfire was a favourite amongst students who had a car.. most notably in the hyde park corner underpass for addtional resonance. It'd probably bring London to a standstill thesed days....

SillyOldDuffer12/06/2019 15:51:05
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Nigel Bennett on 12/06/2019 12:01:25:

Posted by Mike Poole on 12/06/2019 11:18:38:

Before the ignition was part of the steering lock or keyless a decent backfire could be obtained by turning off the ignition and then back on ( of course this is just what I have heard).

Mike

When I was a child of about two, my uncle showed me how you turned the ignition off and back on again to create a very satisfying bang. It was perhaps predictable that I thought I would see if I could make it go bang, too. It was perhaps unfortunate that Uncle was doing about 70mph when I tried it. It went bang, all right - blew the bloody exhaust system to bits! And it was his own damned silly fault for teaching me how it was done...

One of my uncles dinged his car demonstrating a back-fire to my cousin; uncle had forgotten Mike's all important point about steering locks! Only his pride and wallet got hurt fortunately.

By the way, when did steering locks come in? I don't remember the mini I learned to drive in having one, but I'm fairly sure everything else I've driven since 1970 did? My memory is untrustworthy!

Dave

Neil Wyatt12/06/2019 17:36:42
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

The microphone could be mounted at the side of the road with the camera on an overhead.

N.

Michael Gilligan12/06/2019 18:07:14
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Oooh ... Look: **LINK**

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-noise-camera-trial-to-crack-down-on-illegal-vehicles

Kinda looks like there might be some actual information available.

MichaelG.

P.S. 

It's a relief to see the location and directionality of the microphone angel

Many years ago, we checked my Scimitar Coupé with a B&K meter, from the rear blush

[ newly fitted stainless exhaust system with straight-through 'absorption' silencers ]

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 12/06/2019 18:21:47

Samsaranda12/06/2019 18:46:24
1688 forum posts
16 photos

The picture in the link given by Michael above shows a car being driven towards the monitoring equipment, that configuration wouldn’t work with motorcycles as the camera will not record the registration number as this is mounted only on the rear of motorcycles, is this another well thought and researched government initiative?

Dave W

Mike Poole12/06/2019 18:59:11
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Studies have found that exposure to noise can have significant physical and mental health implications – with heart attacks, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and stress all linked to long-term contact with loud environments.

Thats me ****ed then laugh

Mike

RMA12/06/2019 21:56:56
332 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Samsaranda on 12/06/2019 18:46:24:

The picture in the link given by Michael above shows a car being driven towards the monitoring equipment, that configuration wouldn’t work with motorcycles as the camera will not record the registration number as this is mounted only on the rear of motorcycles, is this another well thought and researched government initiative?

Dave W

Must be if Grayling is involved!!!!!!!!

Bezzer12/06/2019 23:06:43
203 forum posts
16 photos

Be interesting to see it stand up in court. The tests for noise levels when type approved have loads of parameters- Temperature, wind speed, humidity, speed, load etc then there's also the road condition/state, other vehicles in the vicinity and street furniture, can't be done in adverse weather or wind speed above 5 metres per second. The easiest way to get someone is if they have a non approved exhaust system, other than that you're struggling with this "simple" camera set up.

Mike Poole12/06/2019 23:21:10
3676 forum posts
82 photos

The standard mark should be clearly marked on a motorcycle exhaust system, most of the noisy ones are race pipes which will not have the marking, a copper and a notebook could soon fill it at a race meeting bike park, only a pencil and notebook needed, you can’t beat a low tech solution.

Mike

Mark Rand12/06/2019 23:41:19
1505 forum posts
56 photos

Construction and use regulations, section 97:-

"Avoidance of excessive noise

97. No motor vehicle shall be used on a road in such manner as to cause any excessive noise which could have been avoided by the exercise of reasonable care on the part of the driver."

Noise cameras have never been needed if a copper or a couple of members of the public are happy to do the paperwork and testify before a magistrate. Even applies to having the windows wound down and 'music' blasting out. Although in the latter case there are public performance license offences as well frown.

Hopper13/06/2019 04:37:40
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by Mark Rand on 12/06/2019 23:41:19:

Construction and use regulations, section 97:-

"Avoidance of excessive noise

97. No motor vehicle shall be used on a road in such manner as to cause any excessive noise which could have been avoided by the exercise of reasonable care on the part of the driver."

Noise cameras have never been needed if a copper or a couple of members of the public are happy to do the paperwork and testify before a magistrate. Even applies to having the windows wound down and 'music' blasting out. Although in the latter case there are public performance license offences as well frown.

That's a very grey area and there is a reason coppers no longer enforce it. Vehicles now have to meet set noise standards to be sold new in most countries. To make a charge stick, copper would have to prove the vehicle was above the approved standard. Only a proper noise meter measurement can do that. "By ear" no longer stands up in court.

That's why all our local Harley boys ride around with straight pipes where I live. Local coppers have no noise meter to prove in court that the bikes are over the limit. Couple times a year the transport department sends a squad of jobsworths up with a noise meter to do roadside spot checks and issue tickets to those who fail.

It seems doubtful that a roadside noise meter measuring a moving vehicle's sound could conclusively meet the standards required under the existing noise regulations for how new vehicles are tested. It is pretty strict on distance, angle, surroundings etc. But a small piece of legislation would fix that, allowing the roadside meters special privileges to collect revenue on a "near enough" basis.

Big Brother will find a way.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate