By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Lousick

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Lousick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Perpetual Motion
02/04/2023 02:15:32

Joe Pie is one of my favourite machinists on Youtube and he has posted this video of a perpetual motion engine which I know is impossible. A great display idea if you have a small engine.

perpetual motion.jpg

**LINK**

Thread: Early locomotive with vertical boiler
01/04/2023 23:35:22

Using Jeff's reference to the CliShay design, I did a quick Google search and found these Youtube videos:

**LINK**

https://youtu.be/tkHsBrU1Zko

And something very different with a beam engine: **LINK**

gadget.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 01/04/2023 23:38:14

01/04/2023 06:57:44

5" gauge locomotive running at our club in Sydney, Believed to be copied from an engine used in a very early Pennsylvania logging company.

gnome 1.jpg

gnome 2.jpg

gnome 3.jpg

**LINK**

Thread: WM180 draw bar
25/03/2023 04:41:55

My lathe and mill both have a 3MT taper and it normally only requires a slight tap on the end of the drawbar to loosen the tool in the taper. If it is too tight, I use this tool that has opposing wedges.

Details can be found in the August, 2015 edition of MEW **LINK**

mt taper removal tool.jpg

Thread: What do you use on the mill to stop steel chips going everywhere
23/03/2023 11:27:08

My set up is not as sophisticated as John's, just some temporary sheet metal guards and a broom.

Thread: Hi All
20/03/2023 09:24:37

The post below which is on MEW has a data sheet for the Simat 101 and shows that it has a 0 morse taper spindle and a 1/4" spindle bore. Only shown with a face plate. You should be able to get a suitable chuck to hold the sizes that you intend turning

**LINK**

Edited By Paul Lousick on 20/03/2023 09:29:24

Thread: Forum Platform Changes - PLEASE READ
15/03/2023 11:16:16

Thanks Neil. Regards, Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 15/03/2023 11:16:44

Thread: Pinstriping Tool in MEW
15/03/2023 03:01:06

When I did the striping on my engine, I made one of the pens as shown in the above video but did not have a lot of success with it. I used proper sign writers paint but found that the paint would continue to flow thru the nib and cause a blob, especially on wider lines.   I then bought a Beugler roller and recommend them.

Youtube video of improved version of the DIY pen: (**LINK**) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6PDb8WFs1A)

crimson.jpg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 15/03/2023 03:07:47

Thread: Overpainting Powder Coated Steel
12/03/2023 21:56:21

Powder coating creates a smooth, flat finish and paint will struggle to bind properly.
Chemical strippers will soften and remove powder coating if you want to completely re-paint the part.

Otherwise to prepare for painting
You must clean off all dirt and grease.
Sand with fine paper.
Wipe down the area you will be painting with an appropriate solvent cleaner.
Rinse with warm water and allow it to dry.
Apply a suitable primer. (Not an etch primer which is used on bare metal).
Test for adhesion by applying a small spot of primer first.
Wait 20 to 30 minutes and then try and wipe it off.
If it wipes off easily, smears or smudges, it means there is not enough adhesion between the paint and the surface.
Once the primer is dry, you can apply the paint.

Thread: Machine vice square on mill table
12/03/2023 11:37:36

My mill vice came with a rotating base but I don't use it and milled key slots and fitted keys to locate in the table slots and use a vice/chuck on a rotary table for milling at an angle.

Always push the vice keys against one side of the table slots while clamping which will eliminate any miss-alignment in a sloppy fit. The keys are accurate enough for 99% of jobs. Always dial in for accurate cuts.

Thread: SRDPN2020K10 tool holder
09/03/2023 22:15:50

I have used one on a ball turner and for making handles like these. Because of their large radius could only take small cuts but good for producing a good finish on curved surfaces

knob.jpg

Thread: Questions about boiler washouts and seals.
09/03/2023 09:00:21

As well as model engines, I also drive full size traction engines and it is recommended practice to blow down the boiler every day as part of the start-up procedure, lowering the water in the glass by 1-2 inches when the pressure reaches 20-30 psi. A full blow down is done to empty the boiler if it is to be stored in a dry condition. Drains and manhole removed while the boiler is still hot to allow all moisture to evaporate. Tannin from trees was one of the early water treatments to prevent corrosion.

Thread: *crackle-hiss, crackle-hiss* (adjusting tuning knobs)
08/03/2023 11:31:24

Maybe you should be checking his teachers qualifications wink 2

Thread: Printed gear tooth templates
08/03/2023 00:46:54

Another online site for designing spur gears, 3D printing parts and other engineering services is .emachineshop.com (**LINK**) There is a large library of pre-designed parts.

Gears can be designed in either inches or mm and exported as dxf or stl format

Thread: Lake Macquarie Live Steam Rally
07/03/2023 22:13:34

Some farmers have been lucky with good rain and bumper crops but others are still suffering from the huge floods while other parts of the country are in drought.

We have recently had a heat wave with temperature of over 40 deg C and areas in the central west of NSW are fighting huge bush fires which are out of control.

Thread: Constantly logging in
07/03/2023 22:01:33

Automatic log in is intermittent. Sometimes works for days, weeks then have to do it manually ?????

Thread: Lake Macquarie Live Steam Rally
07/03/2023 10:48:23

A second ploughing engine is still being built and when finished could team up to pull a plough between them.

07/03/2023 03:15:06

thumbnail.jpg

The Lake Macquarie Live Steam Locomotive Society at Edgeworth (north of Sydney, Australia) held an Anniversary Rally on the 4th March, 2023.

**LINK**

https://youtu.be/jYi8x4yLcyg

Edited By Paul Lousick on 07/03/2023 03:15:59

Thread: Would You Rely On This Comparison Site?
26/02/2023 21:13:28

There is also an Amozon.UK site that has HP printers that specify paper size in mm like this one.

**LINK**

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-OfficeJet-7720-All-Printer/dp/B073FJ3B77/ref=sr_1_1?crid=H7CHD5D839BT&keywords=a3+printer&qid=1677445794&sprefix=A3%2Caps%2C535&sr=8-1

Thread: Posting links
25/02/2023 21:45:26

How to Copy and Paste an internet link.

url link 2.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate