By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for SteveW

Here is a list of all the postings SteveW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Small universal/ball joint
19/03/2018 19:01:58

May be worth looking into the model boat world. Many varieties for a limited angular displacement. Some very simple.

Thread: Safety matting - today's Screwfix offer.
18/01/2018 12:43:38

Duck boards for a duck house! To try and keep a wooden floor as dry as possible or at least ventilated. Ducks can be very wet birds (compared with hens) and they never wipe their feet!

Thread: lathe tool help
08/12/2017 10:40:09

I'd also go with HSS. The shapes of the above kits are a bit idiosyncratic but they are sharp. I would always thin the parting tool so that the tip is about 3mm wide. Some of these kits have such a wide tip they would only be any use on a very rigid industrial size lathe with loads of power. I found the steel in the kit I bought to be very good. Tools stay sharp for a long time and mostly only need some help from a small stone.

Thread: Tracing an electrical fault
13/10/2017 18:55:11

I would second the idea of a dedicated battery for anything critical. Short leads, few connections, wiring easy to check or replace, just one switch. Fewer components = more reliable.

Steve

Thread: 2040 deadline for Diesel and Petrol cars.
26/07/2017 15:58:52

Charging points fine if, when you get to the one the car advises, it's working and there isn't a queue. How well do electric cars do in hilly areas like Exmoor? I can understand they would be fine in cities.

Thread: 12 Speed Bench Drill
26/07/2017 15:51:43

img_0347.jpgThought a couple of pictures would help show what I have. Brings working height of the drill table roughly same as lathe cross slide. It's 11 inches lower than the lathe bench and suits me!mimg_0345.jpg

25/07/2017 21:27:35

When I bought my Warco drill second-hand it had a lower height home made stand. I didn't really like the idea and I did raise it a couple of inches. Now I think it's a good thing; you look down on the drill and the belt cover is more accessible.

Thread: Lumiweld alloy solder
15/05/2017 20:16:12

Whatever you decide I'd have a little experiment on some scrap. Practice=not making things worse. Ask how I know...

Thread: Frog 500 Glow motor
18/04/2017 18:31:28

Stroke not same as con rod length. You do need a rod or estimate from the old one?

Thread: DIY Powder Coating
08/04/2017 11:02:59

img_0257.jpgI set a simple system to powder coat at just the ends of tools so I had a chance of finding them in the grass... only needs a sniff of air. Powder from eBay. Heat with a torch to about blue tempering colour. Bottom has a pad of scotchbright and the (trimmed) top of the cocoa container with a grid of small holes.

img_0255.jpg

Thread: Twin start threads
20/03/2017 15:19:17

I'd experiment using a nice clean bit of bar and two coloured felt tips. Replace tool with first colour and 'cut' first thread. Change colour and 'cut' second. With a fine 'sharpy' type pen you should be able to see two clear 'threads'. No metal gets wasted... no tools get blunt!

Thread: WARCO WM-250 lathe family and WM16 mill
19/03/2017 17:03:44

I made my bench 895mm O/A. to the top which is made from one layer 18mm ply and kitchen worktop to finish. I am 5' 10"" and the handle on the cross slide is about on a level with my elbow. I thought 'too high and I can stand on a box; too low and I'll need to dig a hole...'. Has worked out just right for me. No back problems.

Thread: Are we the last generation.?
08/03/2017 08:15:32

Yes, we will be the last. Who mends a new car, washing machine, radio, TV? Come to that who can mend them? Guess what part is faulty (or use a diagnostic computer) and put in a new part that was made in China. My Land Rover was the last car I could generally fix but the new ones - no chance.

Thread: Warco open day, March 11th
02/02/2017 19:34:48

Also well worth going on a non-open day. All the room you need and when I ordered my lathe I just asked for a deal and got a tailstock chuck and a set of HS tools. I was very happy and I have been back to measure up a mill. Very helpful staff nice pubs nearby...

Thread: Warco WM250
27/01/2017 18:27:03

Check out earlier threads. When mine died it was just this resistor. Not pressed fully home. I checked motor with 12v charger.board.jpg

Thread: Paypal scam
26/01/2017 19:21:00

We had a scam parking fine yesterday. Said it was from Barking and Dagenham mentioned a date and a few reference numbers also the name of a valid local councillor. However not my address or the car reg number. I phoned B&D to let them know. Clearly they had had a good few other people as the 'hello' telephone message explained that B&D do not email suchlike parking enforcement demands.

Thread: Defunct Hard drives
04/11/2016 19:55:32

Magnets are good for 'hanging' a drawing on the lathe splash back but a pain when they magnetise any screwdrivers you use to get hold of them.

04/11/2016 19:52:18

Hang the discs for the chickens to amuse themselves with!

Thread: Warco WM-250 motor problems
04/11/2016 19:50:07

I had a similar running problem. You can test motor with 12v. I eventually found it was a resistor on the control board not fully seated. That would be my first try. I posted a picture in 'wm250 and wm16' thread. Mine has been fine since. I would have a very careful look for the source of the oil leak. Gearbox not overfilled?

Thread: extra-fine knurling
29/09/2016 17:48:49

LH/RH thread would need to be multi start threads to get the helix angles large enough to provide a pattern(?). I think it might work.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate