By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jens Eirik Skogstad

Here is a list of all the postings Jens Eirik Skogstad has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Old gramophone
26/12/2016 14:05:20
Posted by Johs- Line 1 on 26/12/2016 12:28:31:

Jens Eirik Skogstad, Thanks1

Er du Norsk?

Yes, i am norwegian/ jeg er norsk

I will make it aware that the grammophone nail should be changed for every time the gramophone record is played. Grammophone needle wear down for every play and can destroy the gramophone record. 

Replace with new grammophone needle or use grammophone needle sharpener.

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 26/12/2016 14:19:12

26/12/2016 08:53:00

The diaphragm is made of aluminium or Mica and there is rubber at each side of diaphagm to hold on in the sound box.

No difficult to buy spare parts --> **LINK**

Thread: Fitting a Cast Iron Liner into an aluminium Barrel
23/11/2016 19:38:16

The cylinder must be light press fit into the aluminium cylinder casting.

Thread: measuring small bores
21/06/2016 21:25:08

You can use steel ball in right size with handle soldered on as measure tool.

Thread: Making small helical gear(s)
11/06/2016 07:07:19
Posted by Dave Smith the 16th on 11/06/2016 05:24:20:

Someone mentioned that free hobbing was OK for a gear that does not have to be a specific size, but when it needs to be specific then you need to cut the number of teeth into the gear to start with?

Thanks

As i showed you the movie,.. also make the gearwheel in exact size measured from the old gear wheel and precut the spacer between gear teeths before cut with the gear cutter who has exact size from worm in gearbox to create the gearwheel with correct teeth form and angle.

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 11/06/2016 07:08:12

10/06/2016 21:19:56

The alternative to make worm gear wheel can you see this movie. Take the measure of the worm as you has in your gearbox as you showed the picture of worm wheel in gearbox in early post and create a gear cutter of silver steel to make a exact and correct size of the worm wheel.

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 10/06/2016 21:20:43

24/05/2016 20:46:29
Posted by Dave Smith the 16th on 24/05/2016 19:45:39:

I think i get the dividing head now. (i think)

60 tooth gear, 1 turn on the worm = 6 degrees and it moves one tooth. 60 turns for a full circle.

I think this is right.. If the index plate had 6 holes then you could accurately turn the gear in 1 degree increments. If it had 60 you could get 0.1 accuracy?

Have you taught me something?

Follow this link how to use indexing head..

**LINK**

23/05/2016 17:48:17
Posted by Dave Smith the 16th on 23/05/2016 17:00:27:

100% a worm.

Use lathe to create the worm same manner as you are making the bolt with treads. Take 40 degree tool and set topslide to 20 degree, then "tread" up the worm from blank to a ready worm. Module 1 is same as 3.14 mm pitch between wormgear teeth, if you want 1.5 module = 3,14 mm x M 1,5 = 4,71 mm pitch , also calculate the pitch/leadscrew ratio and set up the gear set to make required pitch.

To calculate worm, wormgear ---> **LINK**

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 23/05/2016 18:00:29

22/05/2016 19:53:38

Found the easy way to create the tool to mill helical gear in Youtobe. Really simple than my tool as i showed in early post of my movies. Function is about same as my tool. Be sure there are no play in the tool before you are creating the helical gear.  

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 22/05/2016 20:00:12

22/05/2016 10:24:30
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 22/05/2016 09:54:59:

Very informative videos, Jens

Thank you.

MichaelG.

Thanks

22/05/2016 10:24:11

You can not use same gear cutter to cut helical gear such as gear cutter for 12-13 teeth in helical gear who need 12 teeth. The gear cutter is choosed depending on angle of helical gear and counts of teeth. Read through from page 14-13 to 14-14 about how to manufacturing a helical gear.

To choose the gear cutter to mill helical gear choosed by angle and counts of teeth, read though from 14-9 to 14-11 how to choose the right gear cutter in this link -->

**LINK**

22/05/2016 07:43:18

It is not difficult to make helical gear as i did in this method. See the movie..

Thread: Mercury Transit
12/05/2016 06:18:09

I looked at Mercury with my Bresser telescope. I used the welding glass number 13 as sun filter. In Bergen, Norway the weather was cloud free and sunny.

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 12/05/2016 06:18:33

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 12/05/2016 06:18:59

Thread: piston rings vs. silicone o-ring
02/02/2016 06:14:16
Posted by John gallo on 01/02/2016 22:59:30:

Just another thought. Is it possible the two rings should go together next to each other in a 1/8" groove in the center of the piston?

No, it must be 2 groove in piston with 1/16" wide groove. Be carefull when you are turning the groove: Use sharp tool and fine feed speed turned by hand to make smooth surface in piston ring groove to preventing leakage between piston ring and groove. Not sloppy fit and no sticking piston ring in groove. The piston ring in cylinder: Be sure the gap is not too big. 0.008" -0.01" ring gap is prefered in the steam engine.

Thread: Hot Bulb and Glow Plug Difference
01/01/2016 22:10:42
Posted by Stuart Bridger on 01/01/2016 18:57:38:

The Bolinder hot bulb engines (usually deployed in marine applications) had an interesting injector design. The fuel spray could be varied much like a garden hose nozzle. Under heavy load, the it would be set for a fine jet, that went straight through the bulb chamber into the cylinder. Under light load or idling, the jet was adjusted into a broad cone, that sprayed the fuel onto the walls of the bulb chamber to keep it hot.

Before we got adjustable injector to regulate the fuel from thinn fuel jet to atomized fuel in semidiesel engine to prevent the engine is knocking under load and keep engine hot under idling. The engine had water injection under load and under idling no water injected into cylinder head. Problem was rust inside and in case water was empty then the fishing boat ran on idling at way home.

And we has a adjusting screw (Note: not speed regulator to regulate revolution of engine) to regulate fuel pump amount under load: If hot bulb is glowing under load ---> adjust the fuelpump to give amount lower. Correct temperature in hot bulb ---> take matchstick and touch on hot bulb. If machstick lighting up ----> correct temperature. Also no glowing hot bulb under load. (not for low compression semi diesel who need continous heat from torchlamp).

01/01/2016 21:56:53

There are three types of semi diesel engine that I know.. (Norway was the last country that produced semi diesel engines until 1968, also we had about 120 semi diesel engine factory in Norway).

1. Semi Diesel/hot bulb engine with low compression needs continuous heating of blowtorch (mostly older hot bulb egine).

2. Semi Diesel engine with medium-high compression needed not continuous heating due heat from combustion.

3. Semi Diesel engine with higher compression did not have great hot bulb. There are two ways to start the engine with the heated hot bulb or from electric glow plug. Forexample Wichman engine had only a slight glow ring around not long from the injector inside the cylinder head and heated via channel where the flame from torch lamp went into the channel and out of the other of channel such glow ring was hot enough to ignite the fuel under starting the engine. This type was called "cold cylinder head".

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 01/01/2016 22:15:24

Thread: Stuart Beam Engine
01/01/2016 00:22:50

Write a e-mail to Stuart: [email protected]. Tell more precise which beam steam engine you have in your hand and write which problem you have with this construction and measure etc.. , then the staff in Stuart Models will give a answer to you.

Happy new year.

Thread: What is the most useful workshop tool that you have made?
14/11/2015 21:10:15

My useful tool is millingmachine who is made of old drillpress with ownmade equipment .

Thread: Mastiff Engine part 4 - off centre tappets to cams
29/10/2015 10:44:12

Not only side valve engine, I've seen both OHV, OHC and DOHC has tappets slightly off center of the camshaft. The purpose is to get tappets to rotate and get even wear without gnaw directly on the surface. It contributes to the longevity of tappets. smiley

Thread: Machining acrylic
17/10/2015 20:30:45

Polish with flame from torchlamp. **LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate