By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Drabble

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Drabble has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Welding
26/07/2016 09:03:57

Alan ,

In my experience thorough and sustained both pre and post heating are essential if the repair is to stand any chance of permanence . The last CI item I welded was a bench vice . I thoroughly pre- heated , then used a No 25 nozzle on o-a to complete the weld , before carefully put the vice in a dustbin full of sand for 24 hours . Vice is still in use many years later . If you know anyone with oxy-acet that can do the work for you , but who lack the materials , I can supply you small amount of rod and flux to complete your work for the cother of the postage . Alternatively you may find Cast Iron Welding Services in Coalville on 01530 811308 ( no connection ) helpful .

Thread: Repairing cracks in cast iron
20/06/2016 21:20:12

Speedy,

Since you have Oxy-Acet available , you are welcome to a suitable cast iron rod . One will be more than enough for your needs . No flux yet , but will be ordering some this week , so you welcome to some of that too . Would suggest you thoroughly pre-heat , use a large nozzle ( I used a No 25 on a Sapphire shank to weld a broken vice ) , and then cool as slowly as possible . I buried it in a metal dustbin full of clean sand .

Trevor .

Thread: Borax suppliers??
25/05/2016 12:39:00

Mac, I can supply you a small amount in a jiffy bag via post ( I am in South Yorkshire ) if you PM me your details .

Trevor.

Thread: Vacuum Cleaner Recommendations
10/02/2016 11:19:43

Machine Mart supply an ash filter can , 050519130 for £27.59 , or incorporated into a 500 watt workshop vacuum cleaner , CVACASH500 for £56.39.

Thread: a replacement tool to cut sheet steel.
29/11/2015 13:55:04

Hello 13Sigs , Got one of these complete with a spare blade , though from memory , both are quite coarse and really meant for building work . Would only want a nominal sum for all . If you are interested I will sort it out . Please let me know at your convenience. I am in South Yorkshire .

Trevor.

Thread: Custom paint suppliers
26/11/2015 19:54:30

Anna , My alternative suggestion would be R J Stokes . Full contact and company details on www.rjstokes.co.uk Quite a few years ago I had them mix up a litre of special paint and it was excellent . No connection with company other than as a satisfied customer . Hope this helps . Trevor.

Thread: Small lost wax casting supplier?
05/11/2015 09:39:08

Tony , I had a duplicate earing made from the remaing one of a pair by CAD and lost wax by Franklyns ( 01422 354539 ) jewellers in Halifax. No connection with them other than as a customer .

Trevor.

Thread: Myford lathe values.
22/10/2015 09:43:02

There was an old piece of legislation called the Trucks Act , which stated you had to be paid within a set time after your working period . Not sure if its still in existence , or if , like many others , its been repealed .

Thread: rectangular faceplate?
15/10/2015 20:33:48

In my humble opinion , if there's a reasonable possibility of something going wrong , then its inevitable it will do so at some point . So do not try to accomodate the problem , rather resolve it and remove the corners. Machines do not take prisoners , only victims. Have been unfortunate enough to have witnessed far too many similar life-changing events during my working life .

Trevor.

Thread: Buying ER collets
15/10/2015 20:23:40

John, For FULL specs on ER collets plus associated items may I suggest you talk with Dave Chambers at D&J Workholding on [email protected] and 01993 200119. They also supply a large range of styles of quality tooling arbours and collets . NOT CHEAP, but good . No connection with company other than as a satisfied customer. Hope this helps.

Trevor

Thread: where to get drawings?
14/10/2015 10:34:03

I understand Town Bent Engineering in Rishton , Blackburn aquired the design rights some time ago . Maybe they could help ?

Trevor.

Thread: Drawing Projections
13/10/2015 19:33:22

Wolfie,

Sure I got some old technical drawing books which would help you . If you interested , will try and sort one out for free for you and take it with me to Midlands Exhib on Friday .

Trevor.

Thread: Twist drill speeds
28/08/2015 12:01:46

Eric, If you PM me your details , I will supply you a drill manufacturers pocket hand book .

Trevor

Thread: 3.5" Jubilee Drawings
11/08/2015 17:06:43

Fizzy,

Have you been able to find these drawings yet please ?

Thread: Source of Mid Green Hammerite Paint
11/08/2015 17:04:31

Good afternoon Chris, Sorry for delay . Sad to say , despite many efforts, I have been unable to find a carrier willing to take this paint . Though I have been unable to find anyone , would be interested to know if anyone else has any constructive suggestions so I can get this paint to Chris.

06/08/2015 20:56:23

Good evening Chris, Have checked with 4 couriers so far , only to find they will not handle this paint . Am out all tomorrow , but will resume my search again during the evening , so Im not giving up hope just yet.

03/08/2015 19:09:56

Chris, Will check current prices and come back to you . I believe this paint is to the original formulae and I also have some original thinners , which I will try and decant some of into a smaller container for you if you need some . Also , I am coming to London's West End (War Horse ) 20th-22nd November if that helps to keep the costs down , though I appreciate that may be too far in the future for you . Meantime I will try and source a suitable carrier and again come back to you . Trust this will be acceptable.

03/08/2015 10:10:00

Robbo, Oh dear ( !! ) . Thanks for the info , much appreciated .

Thread: 3.5" Jubilee Drawings
03/08/2015 10:05:06

Brandon, I also have a set of old but unused drawings available should Fizzy not be able to find his .

Thread: Source of Mid Green Hammerite Paint
02/08/2015 21:41:51

Chris, If you are interested , I have a brand new original unopened 500 ml tin , product code 6720902 of hammered mid green available . Not sure of situation regarding posting , so are you anywhere near South Yorkshire ? Also , will be going to Bristol ME Exhibition either on the Friday or Saturday.

Trevor.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate