By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Drabble

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Drabble has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Queen street mill,Burnley- worth a trip
14/04/2018 13:43:28

GREAT . On my 120 mile return visit just before they closed , bought some of their calico cloth and it's EXCELLENT. Can't wait for them to re-open so I can purchase some more and take more pictures of this wonderful mill .

Trevor.

Thread: Quorn Castings
24/03/2018 15:16:18

I have for sale ( when I sort them out ) a complete set of unused Quorn castings , thread milled coloum , Parvalux motor ,drawings , book and grinding wheels from MES from 2005 .

Neil , If you feel this in wrong place.please move to classifieds .

Trevor.

Thread: Plain bearing materials
13/03/2018 22:53:57

Martin , In that case , are there any suitable downloads available from any of the leading bearing manufacturer's web sites ?

Trevor.

13/03/2018 22:18:13

Martin , Workshop Practice book No 40 entitled Bearings is a good starting point and is available from Chronos amongst others .

Trevor.

Thread: 3" Allchin Model
13/03/2018 13:46:08

Matt, John Rex Model Engineers at Pontefract used to supply the castings for this model , perhaps they still do . They therefore may be able to assist with drawings .

Trevor .

Thread: Is society becoming more stupid
08/03/2018 23:42:44

Another example of the "sue" culture ? Remember the American who successfully sued a motorhome manufacturer , who , as he was driving down the road , set the vehicle to automatic and then went into the back to make a drink and was then less than happy when the vehicle subsequently left the road and crashed ?

Thread: Bench grinders and their dust
26/02/2018 12:46:16

I cut 2 stubs into the bottom of the wheel guards on my Creusen for connection to my tool vacuum cleaner , from whose socket the grinder is fed , thus ensuring automatic start-up .

Thread: Maplin Electronics Stores
20/02/2018 13:34:46

Unfortunately , in essence I agree with previous posts in that even their in-store catalogue is worse than woeful . As a result , I asked the Rotherham store staff for help , but they also were useless . I did however eventually buy some items . When I later asked for a circuit , I was told one was not available . I then completed their feed-back form complaining at the abysmal situation that no circuit was available , only to receive a reply saying my comments had been moderated and would not be appearing on their web page comments section .

I subsequently sorted the circuit and bought the additional other components I required elsewhere . Can't help feeling it's a highly regretable situation .

Thread: Joining cast iron
05/02/2018 09:54:35

Martin , Do you have access to oxyacetylene equipment please ? Trevor.

Thread: sodium bisulphate as a pickle for copper?
28/01/2018 23:52:08

Fizzy , A bit off the wall , but would either a local chemical plating shop (as in say chromium plating ) or furniture/door stripping shop have any suitable chemicals available , and if so , could you "piggy back" with their orders to their suppliers ? Trevor.

Thread: Stuart Model delivery
25/01/2018 00:02:50

Steve , Have sent you a PM. Trevor.

Thread: looking for a suitable diesel/petrol engine for an 'unusual' model boat
21/01/2018 13:29:12

Mark , I assume you are looking for an ic engine in order to maintain authenticity , in which case my suggestion would be that since such engines used to be common place for driving small generators or pumps I would look in the adverts sections of such publications as Old Glory , Vintage Spirit or Stationary Engine . You may even consider placing a wanted advert in any of the aforementioned mags . Maybe there are equivalent French publications , or even fleabay ?

In the past I have seen such engines for sale at the farmers auction at Driffield Steam Rally , so maybe a similar local event may prove fruitfull ?

If you do go down the electrical route , there are some sound generators that can be programmed with your own sounds if those as supplied are not suitable . As an example , try looking at Harbor Models in USA . Not cheap , but am really pleased with mine . Also see Mtronics and Action Electronics . With regards to a motor , since you going to be swinging a large slow reving prop would suggeSt you need a high torque motor such as found on golf carts ( 12 volt ) or better still , as found on mobility scooters ( 24 volt ) . Maybe you have local repair shops for either of these ?

Hope you find abover helpful as initial options for consideration .

Trevor.

Thread: Spindle speed controler
19/01/2018 23:02:17

Carl , Have sent you a PM. Trevor.

Thread: Newton Tesla Electric Drives
17/01/2018 18:49:18

JES , I have a Newton Tesla unit on my S7 and have never regretted it for a momen Regarding torque concerns at low motor speeds , I resolve any issues by simply reverting back to changing belts and increasing motor speed . NT intstructions make reference to not running the motor below 800 rpm for extended periods in order to avoid overheating . If you look on my album page you will find a chart I drew up to help me avoid any such problems . Hope this helps .

Trevor.

Thread: Centre punches/bench tools
17/01/2018 18:29:51

When I worked for James Neil (Eclipse ) we made the pocket scribers with either hardened or carbide points , and my two samples are still working well many years later . Perhaps things have changed now Eclipse is owned by a foreign company ?

Trevor .

Thread: Lathe stand to suit an ML7
17/01/2018 13:28:06

David , Just to throw a curved ball into the thread , may I suggest a lathe stand , item number 505177 from Axminster Power Tools ?

Trevor .

Thread: Lever/Rack tailstock preferences
19/11/2017 18:26:33

Steve , I have the rack attachment and wouldn't be without it now . It is much more sensitive than the standard barrel ( essential for smaller drills ) plus I continually use the friction -set depth scale . Had serious reservations at the high cost when bought it new from Myford Nottingham , but now , as I've said I wouldn't be without it .

Trevor.

Thread: Straightening brass beading
14/11/2017 16:09:50

Clive , Suggest you have a look at a pyro straightener at your local electrical distributors or on line . BICC do a reasonable one .

Trevor.

Thread: Made something useful at last
05/11/2017 16:44:27

Sean , Nice work . May I suggest you now put a nominal 3mm x 3mm slot along the full length of the bottom of the Vee in order to allow dirt and dwarf somewhere to go and also to allow any angular work to sit fully on the sides of the Vee , and so maintain an accurate register . Trevor

Thread: myford feet bolt dimention
05/11/2017 16:18:41

Garry , According to my manual , distance C from end of belt cover to first hole centre is 11 1\4" ( 286 mm ) , dimention D , distance between centres is 22 1\4" ( 565 mm) . Distance O from spindle to front mounting bolts centres is 2 9\16" ( 65mm) , and dimension N from spindlier to rear mounting bolts centres is 2 1\16" (52.5 mm) . Distance L from spindle to rear of belt guard is 13 1\2" (343mm) and distance M from spindle forwards to front of crosslide handle is 14" (350mm) maximum. Holding down bolts are 5\16" (8mm) diameter . Hope all above is useful . Don't forget to allow for full opening of guards . If you PM me your details I will send you this original Myford soft back book . Trevor.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate