Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Lever/Rack tailstock preferences

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Bower19/11/2017 17:45:23
42 forum posts
2 photos

Hi. I've the option (at cost!) of a lever or rack attachment for my Super 7. Before I splash out, what preferences do people have? The consensus seems to be that one or other is worthwhile.

Ta

richard 219/11/2017 18:07:08
127 forum posts

I have both - a rack drive with barrel marked in metric and a lever with barrel marked in imperial.

I am currently building a small vertical steam engine in imperial so lever tailstock barrel is in use.

But - do have one or the other - you will never regret it.

With so much drilling done in the lathe the screw feed is so slow and a right pain for drilling deep holes winding the barrel in and out.

Lever or rack is much quicker and easier.

It's probably good for the drills.

Richard 2.

Clive Foster19/11/2017 18:22:52
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Choice is six of one half a dozen of the other really. Lever is arguably better for small drills due to direct connection which is said to give better feel. Rack is arguably better for larger ones as it is said to give more thrust for the same force. As Richard says in practice either will do fine.

When using big drills you may well prefer to change back to the screw feed.

Clive.

Trevor Drabble19/11/2017 18:26:33
339 forum posts
7 photos

Steve , I have the rack attachment and wouldn't be without it now . It is much more sensitive than the standard barrel ( essential for smaller drills ) plus I continually use the friction -set depth scale . Had serious reservations at the high cost when bought it new from Myford Nottingham , but now , as I've said I wouldn't be without it .

Trevor.

Nishka19/11/2017 20:40:25
23 forum posts
19 photos

I have a lever tailstock attachment for sale with my ML7 lathe in the classifieds section here - **LINK** - If anyone is looking for one!

Sorry for the blatant hi-jack of the thread

Chris Trice19/11/2017 21:26:28
1376 forum posts
10 photos

I have both and I prefer the lever but in all honesty, it's just personal preference and there's not a lot in it. You get more travel with the rack (from memory).

Steve Bower19/11/2017 21:54:21
42 forum posts
2 photos
That's great, thanks all. TBH Nishka, ?900 for the lever (albeit with a free lathe) is a bit out of my budget. I've found a lever with no spindle - is this likely to be machineable?

Edited By Steve Bower on 19/11/2017 21:54:51

Cornish Jack19/11/2017 23:40:59
1228 forum posts
172 photos

Steve - very simple to make - must be ... I made one! Now have a Cowells rack triple lever; very worthwhile.yes

rgds

Bill

geoff walker 120/11/2017 09:11:40
521 forum posts
217 photos

Steve, Yeah I also made a lever feed, two in fact, one for each lathe. A good lever feed should have really close fitting pivots so the whole assembly has a positive feel when in use

Wouldn't make one now though, far to busy modelling to make accessories, I've moved on.

P.M. me if you do fancy making one I can give you some ideas.

Geoff

Howard Lewis21/11/2017 17:50:22
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Made up ,a sensitive drilling attachment, mounted on a Morse taper arbor to fit into the screw feed tailstock, on my lathe. takes up a little space, but has caused no problems, so far, and have the best of both worlds.

(Made from a buckshee small drill chuck, the MT arbor and whatever else came to hand, so minimal cost)

Howard

Edited By Howard Lewis on 21/11/2017 17:51:37

Steve Bower22/11/2017 15:50:15
42 forum posts
2 photos
Am I able to add an image? I could show the lever I have
Steve Bower22/11/2017 18:11:08
42 forum posts
2 photos

Ah here we go - the image editor isn't available on the phone:

Edited By Steve Bower on 22/11/2017 18:16:51

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate