By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Cox 1

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Cox 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mike Cox's cone drills in MEW 285 - source?
26/10/2019 10:57:06

As well as Thor's suggestions cone drills are readily available from ScrewFix in the UK, see:

**LINK**

There are other suppliers on ebay which should be accesible globally

Mike

Thread: QCTP
28/09/2019 16:41:53

Ola Celso,

Nice job and as usual you make it look easy.

Mike

Thread: citric acid
23/09/2019 18:16:10

Vitamin C is ascorbic acid.

Thread: MEW No. 285 Gear Cutters and Gear Cutting
17/09/2019 18:43:16

Niel has already pointed out that one benefit of using conical cutters is that it is easy to make any diameter of cut out using only a limited range of conical cutters. The other benefit of using conical cutters is that they provide relief all around the cut out arc. Using cylindrical cutters and a tilted blank only provide relief in one direction.

The cost of the tapered drills is relatively small and one set can be used to make cutters to match a big range of MOD and tooth counts.

Mike

Thread: Substitute for limonene
31/08/2019 17:10:04

Simon,

Thanks for the information about the solubility of HIPS in limonene. I am chemist but had never come across this titbit of information.

Chemically limonene and turpentine are both terpenes so it could be a good idea to try the latter as it should be more readily available.

Mike

30/08/2019 10:44:26

Simon,

ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene polymer) and HIPS (high impact polystyrene) are chemically very similar and they are usually softened and dissolved by the same solvents. Both, for example dissolve readily in acetone and MEK (methyl ethyl ketone).

Where did the information come from that limonene is a selective solvent for HIPS?

Mike

Thread: Home Workshop Site
28/08/2019 22:01:02

Please add my name to the list of well wishers.

Mike

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
04/08/2019 11:33:36
Posted by Anthony Knights on 19/06/2019 10:55:09:

Paint is dry so I've fitted the Mike Cox lever tailstock. First proper project since my illness last year. so I'm pleased it works well in spite of the odd shaped tailstock casting.lever taistock.jpg

Hi Antony,

I am glad it all worked out well in the end.

I am intrigued by some of the other things on your lathe:

1. What is it on top of the head stock?

2. What is the yellow object at the top that appears to be resting on the sloping splash guard

3. There appears to be something on the left hand side of the leadscrew before it disappears into the electrical control box.

Sorry if you think I am being nosey!

Mike

Thread: Engineers blue alternatives
19/07/2019 20:59:06
Posted by Lainchy on 16/07/2019 12:49:45:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 16/07/2019 12:18:43:

Not

In theory it should be possible to dissolve ball-point pen ink in the same way. In practice, more trouble than it's worth!

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 16/07/2019 12:19:34

Cheers Dave will try some when I get a chance

It is easy to make a marking out blue as follows: Take 50 ml of French polish and add 50 ml of methylated spirit. Now take a cheap blue ball point pen and pull out the nib and ink tube. With a pair of sharp scissors chop the ink tube into pieces about 12mm long and let them drop into the mixture of French polish and alcohol. Shake the mixture and leave to stand for a day. The mix is easily applied by a small brush and it is quick drying. It marks easily with fine scribe. It is resistant to water based and oil based complaints and cutting fluids.

Mike

Edited By Michael Cox 1 on 19/07/2019 21:00:43

Thread: ALDI 3D Balco printer
29/05/2019 10:24:04

I bought the Balco printer from Aldi before Christmas 2018. It worked straight out of the box and I have used it to make various workshop related items such as gears, vee beltpulleys, timing belt pulleys etc as well as some household items such as sonic tooth brush stand, camera lens cap, a small bin to fit the cupholder in the car, sat-nav holder etc.

I find it a very useful addition to my collection of workshop tools.

Mike

Thread: Help a beautiful lady
19/05/2019 20:45:45

I mentioned your post to my wife and she said she had seen an advert for narrow fitting shoes in one of her womens magaxines.

She found the following contacts:

James Inglis Tel 0330 121 1111 or jamesinglis.com

I hope this helps

Thread: Result - the 2019 Stevenson Trophy
13/05/2019 16:33:43

Thank you all for your kind words and thanks to all that voted for my low profile clamps.

Kind regards

Mike

Thread: seals for mini lathe tapered roller bearings?
01/04/2019 21:42:24

Martin,

I do not remember having to do any work on the end caps, but it was 6 years ago. I will have a look tomorrow and give you an update.

Mike

01/04/2019 20:21:38
Posted by Martin of Wick on 01/04/2019 18:30:22:

There is a possibility that a 48 x3mm O ring could be used if the external cover was adapted a bit more - not a seal as such, but would minimise the gap on the external faces and help keep out coarser muck.

This is the approach that I used when I did my taper roller conversion. I figured that at the very least the o-ring would act as a thrower ring and prevent oil and swarf migrating along the spindle shaft. I did the conversion at least 6 years ago. Every year I remove the plastic endcaps and inspect for debris. I have never found anything after the o-ring.

Thread: New Zealand Terror Attack
15/03/2019 11:34:40

I too echo Niels comments. I hope the families and friends of those killed and injured get the support of their own community and the support of all NZ people.

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
28/02/2019 10:57:22
Posted by John McNamara on 28/02/2019 05:41:53:

Gee Neil

You are really kicking goals with your astro imaging, I am in awe of the images and the work you need to have done to get them.

What I am in awe of is that Neil holds down a day job, edits MEW, writes books, spends time in his workshop, is very active on this website and he still finds time to sit outside at night staring at the stars!!!! Amazing.

Thread: Balco 3D Printer
27/02/2019 22:13:04

My Balco printer, the same as the current offering from Aldi, has a very firm steel frame and is already equipped with a cooling fan on the extruder. I have had no problems with it straight out of the box except for the levelling screws on the print table being a bit loose. This problem was easily solved by printing some washers that fit under the springs of the levelling screws.

Mike

Thread: Motor for a Sieg X1 mill or (M1 attachment)
07/02/2019 11:27:42

I just remember seeing this:

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/collections/spare-parts/products/katsu-550w-power-head-attachment-for-mini-lathe-machine-165013-and-165012

This is a powerful;motor, 500W, and variable speed power supply already assembled at a cost of £120

Mike

07/02/2019 11:22:00

The motor that you picture on the Clarke milling attachment to the C1 lathe looks identical to the motor on my X1 mill from ArcEurotrade.

Since it is unlikely that you would need to use the milling spindle and the lathe spindle at the same time I suspect that the attachment does not have a separate power controller board and that it is run from the same controller as the lathe motor. Is there a socket on the back of the C1 that the attachment plugs into?

I would urge you to consider making a belt drive conversion rather than replacing the gears in the mill headstock. The belt drive is much quieter, smoother and reduces any shock loading on the spindle. It is sudden shock loading that tend to upset the controller board. My belt drive conversion on the X1 mill is shown here:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/mill-belt-drive-conversion.html

As an alternative motor you may be able to pick up a small dc motor that was made for an electric golf trolley. Ebay usually lists some of them. This could be used with a 12 V motor controller from Ebay

Mike.

Thread: Cheap 3D printers
07/02/2019 11:04:13
Posted by John C on 19/11/2018 17:05:09:

I have several Aldi hand and power tools, all of which do 'what it says on the tin', but are not pretending to be high-end products. With that in mind, what would the forum think of this:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/balco-3d-printer-/p/086887240233900

John

I bought one of the ALDI printers and I am very pleased with it. The only problem that I have had is that the springs on the bed for the levelling screws are too short and they do not hold the bed in a reproducable position. I 3D printed some spacers to fit under the springs and everything is better now.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate