Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

tensile strength of 3d printed Disc

Strength of diffrent filament

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
William Ormond03/08/2023 10:46:34
1 forum posts

I'm building a 3d printed motor and wondered if anyone knew what filament is strongest, PLA or PETG? What one and rotate that fastest before breaking. I've done a google search but cannot find any information on this.

Thanks in advance.

Wullie.

Peter Cook 603/08/2023 21:34:51
462 forum posts
113 photos

I suspect the tensile strength of the filament will be the last thing to give way. The most likely issue you will face is delamination of the layers created during printing.

Careful design of the layer structure would help, e.g. if all the print layers were radial - but I don't know any way to get a slicer to do that. You may need to hand craft the code.

I have successfully made pulleys in PLA, but they were for low speed (<200 rpm ) use.

Gary Wooding05/08/2023 09:42:13
1074 forum posts
290 photos

***THIS*** video, made by Clough42 is an interesting test of various 3D printing filaments where, surprisingly, PLA proved to be the strongest. As suggested already, delamination is probably the commonest weakness which I usually try to overcome by design, where I try to divide the item in such a way that the parts can be assembled with the laminations unaligned and glued with superglue or epoxy.

noel shelley05/08/2023 10:04:31
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Any heat may be your biggest enemy depending on the filament type ? Noel.

jimmy b05/08/2023 10:07:51
857 forum posts
45 photos

In my experience, bigger nozzle, thicker walls and increased layer height gives very strop prints.

I've had very strong prints (brackets mainly) using 0.8mm nozzle, 0.5 layer height and 4.8mm walls.

You can further improve the strength with cubic infill, little point going over 40% in my experience.

Good luck.

Jimb

Steve F05/08/2023 12:17:44
101 forum posts
25 photos

Hello

If it's layer adhesion you want then try ASA. I have used it quite a bit and i like it. The layer adhesion is the best i have seen just above ABS or try HIPS (airfix plastic type). If you wanted to stick with PLA type then ESUN PLA+ is good and tough.

regards

Steve

regards

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate