Rotary broaching

Rotary broaching

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Daniel Brannan02/07/2023 13:42:38
42 forum posts
8 photos

Hi

I’m stuck. I made a wheel spindle, one end of which needs a 19mm hex cutting Into it . I bought a 19mm carbide rotary broach from a respected toolmaker, oversized the pilot hole to 19.2mm, chamfered it and then tried to cut. But nothing happens. The broach makes contact with the workpiece and spins with it but doesn’t cut whatsoever. I’ve tried what I consider heavy insertion force and still nothing. Has anyone done this before? How much insertion force does this require? Everything I’ve read just says rotary broaching is dead easy and requires little force sarcastic 2

It’s 7050 aluminium. I’ve tried increasing the pilot Hole to just over 20mm but that’s as far as I dare go as the major diameter of the broach is only about 22mm

thanks as always

Dan

JasonB02/07/2023 13:59:51
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

The broaches need to go into a special holder that allows them to "wobble" and work their way down into a hole. You can't just force them into the hole like a push or pull broach

Daniel Brannan02/07/2023 14:02:30
42 forum posts
8 photos

Hi thanks. Yeah I forgot to say I do have a rotary broach holder - when you spin the broach independently you can see the 1 degree wobble

Tony Pratt 102/07/2023 14:55:13
2319 forum posts
13 photos

Following with interest as I had a similar problem. Is the broach holder a decent make, mine was a Chinese offering and just didn't work?

Tony

Daniel Brannan02/07/2023 15:04:11
42 forum posts
8 photos

Yeah it’s a cheap Chinese one from eBay. Like I say though you can see the wobble so surely it should work? Who knows

I never did understand the principle really as surely once the part is in contact with the broach, nothing is ‘wobbling’, all that is happening is one part of the broach is ahead of the others. Obviously it’s clever people than me that came up with this though 🙂

JasonB02/07/2023 15:04:23
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

This maker gives the pilot hole for their 19mm hex as 19.75mm so you were possibly small to start with, also check your chamfer

The wobble puts the force onto each corner in turn which is more effective than trying to cut them all at once

Edited By JasonB on 02/07/2023 15:05:36

Daniel Brannan02/07/2023 15:12:28
42 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks. Chamfer is 45 degrees and just slightly wider than the widest point of the broach. I did debate going to 21mm for the pilot but I’ll only have 1/2 a mm all the way round to support the corners of the hex

Macolm02/07/2023 15:35:14
185 forum posts
33 photos

Also interested in this as it is on the list to try. Surely though, the broach should not “wobble” when rotated, merely rotate on an axis one degree displaced from the rotation axis of the work. Presumably also the broach is advanced along the work axis, not its own rotation axis.

wobble broach.jpg

Edited By Macolm on 02/07/2023 15:37:58

Tony Pratt 102/07/2023 17:39:48
2319 forum posts
13 photos

We don’t need to reinvent the wheel, rotary broaching is a proven technique with decent tools.

Tony

Baz02/07/2023 17:50:10
1033 forum posts
2 photos

Totally agree with Tony, a totally proven technique, if it doesn’t work you have a c*** tool. Hemmingway do a small broach kit and drawings, it works superbly well I have made a couple of them and had absolutely no problems broaching 5mm hexagon on a Myford lathe.

JasonB02/07/2023 18:22:29
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

19mm is going to need a fair bit more pressure than the small sizes the Hemmingway unit can go upto. and would not be something to try on say a minilathe and 7050 is quite a strong alloy

ChrisLH02/07/2023 18:25:02
111 forum posts
7 photos

Mike Cox wrote an illuminating article on the subject in MEW 241, page 24 et sequ. A read may help.

Bazyle02/07/2023 19:25:58
6956 forum posts
229 photos

+1 Macolm's comment

Daniel Brannan02/07/2023 20:30:09
42 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks - just done some reading as suggested and it sounds like it’s simply too big a size. The tool I have is quality, the holder perhaps less so but I can’t see any issue with it. I’ll have to have him make me a smaller broach so I can experiment with smaller ones.

It’s a good point about 7050 as well - i just looked up the Brinell hardness and it’s harder than some steels

Pete Rimmer02/07/2023 20:55:13
1486 forum posts
105 photos

How is the broach holder being held? In the tailstocks or in a toolpost? If it's in the tailstock then check the spindle to tailstock alignment. If it's offset a bit there might be enough bend in it all to cancel out the 1 degree axial offset.

If it's in the toolpost check that you actually do have the offset angle and that it's not turned to cancel it out and present the broach face flat to the work as it won't cut like that.

In either case you could try adding a little lateral offset and see if that helps.

Pete Rimmer02/07/2023 21:01:19
1486 forum posts
105 photos
Posted by Daniel Brannan on 02/07/2023 15:04:11:

I never did understand the principle really as surely once the part is in contact with the broach, nothing is ‘wobbling’, all that is happening is one part of the broach is ahead of the others. Obviously it’s clever people than me that came up with this though 🙂

The principle is very simple. If you look at Malcolm's sketch you'll see that the bottom edge of the tool is inside the hole and the top edge is outside. This means that the point at the top will be more to the left when it's made half a turn to get to the bottom. The end of the broach is the cutting face and it plows the metal into the hole as it turns. All you have to do is push it.

bernard towers02/07/2023 21:35:17
1221 forum posts
161 photos

As Peter says the principle is very simple but perhaps more easily understood as the action is akin to skiving with a wood chisel type action.

Daniel Brannan03/07/2023 02:42:01
42 forum posts
8 photos

The tool holder is being held in the tailstock (i turned a Morse taper on it). I have checked alignment but I’ll recheck it tomorrow. Thanks again

Daniel Brannan03/07/2023 02:45:41
42 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 02/07/2023 21:01:19:

The principle is very simple. If you look at Malcolm's sketch you'll see that the bottom edge of the tool is inside the hole and the top edge is outside. This means that the point at the top will be more to the left when it's made half a turn to get to the bottom. The end of the broach is the cutting face and it plows the metal into the hole as it turns. All you have to do is push it.

I suppose the bit I can’t my head round is how the spinning helps in any way. Plus once you have progressed beyond the opening, surely all of the tool is in contact with the part, just with the leading edge further in

Pete Rimmer03/07/2023 06:34:19
1486 forum posts
105 photos
Posted by Daniel Brannan on 03/07/2023 02:45:41:
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 02/07/2023 21:01:19:

I suppose the bit I can’t my head round is how the spinning helps in any way. Plus once you have progressed beyond the opening, surely all of the tool is in contact with the part, just with the leading edge further in

That's correct, it's further in but still doing the same thing, shaving a small amount ahead of itself each rotation.

If it's in the tailstock try moving the tailstock off-set a tiny bit. If you were looking at Malcolm's sketch above move the tailstoks off-set in the downwards direction.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate