By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Reese

Here is a list of all the postings John Reese has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chatter/finish problem
27/09/2021 22:27:22

David Wilkes in his You Tube videos preferred turning toward the tailstock. He turned some really long slender shafts without chatter.

Thread: Not enoughh CO2 ?
27/09/2021 21:58:46

There was a proposal to build a CO2 pipeline to collect CO2 from the numerous ethanol plants in the midwest US. The intent was to convey the CO2 to a location where the geology was suitable for underground injection. Strangely the environmentalists are violently opposed to it.

Thread: Turning (approximating) a Domed Surface
27/09/2021 21:45:49

A comment on the radius rod (guide rod) method. The rod needs to be parallel with the bed when the cutter is on the spindle axis (centered on the work..

Thread: I need to cut chamfers into x64 pieces of mild steel - any advice?
27/09/2021 17:08:13

THE END, I hope.

27/09/2021 00:38:06

John,

I doubt you will find the repeatability you want using an abrasive belt or disc. The V-block and clamp shown in several posts would work extremely well in a vertical milling machine. Just clamp the v-block to the table. If the v-block is long enough you may be able to fit two parts onto it. In that case you would want two clamps, each being over one part. You should substitute a length of silver steel for the drill bit shown. If the job is done on the mill it would be permissible to have clamps protruding above the work.

Thread: Not enoughh CO2 ?
27/09/2021 00:11:05
Posted by KWIL on 21/09/2021 10:30:01:

The bottomless pit of subsidies to state owned assets? No not again.

All we need now is for Mr P to stop gas supplies.

Here in Illinois the state subsidizes wind and solar power. The state also subsidizes nuclear power so they can be cost competitive with wind and solar. Madness.

Thread: Boring Head
26/09/2021 23:14:57

The most common boring head in machine shops seems to be 2" diameter with 1/2" holes for the tool. The boring tools themselves are available in solid HSS or solid carbide as well as the brazed carbide tools commonly sold with the boring heads. The sizes range from near microscopic to about 1/2". The smaller tools will require an adapter sleeve for use in a larger boring head.

My favorite boring head for work is a Tenthset 37. It takes 3/8" tools. As the name implies they can be set in increments of .0001". The Tenthset 50 is similar but a bit larger and takes 1/2" tools. The Tenthset heads are often available on flea bay. Shank size is unimportant. The back of the boring head is threaded 5/8-18 so it is quite easy to make a shank to fit it.

Flea bay is a source of the smaller boring tools I mentioned.

Thread: Aluminium Oxide Mount Point Grinding Tools
26/09/2021 22:51:11

If you are having difficulty finding silicon carbide mounted points try MSC Industrial. I believe they sell in the UK.

26/09/2021 22:46:30

Be careful with long or heavy stones. If run above their critical speed the shank is likely to bend about 90 deg. just beyond the collet. I had it happen on a Dumore (37K rpm) and a Makita (24K rpm). Both had a toggle switch on the back end instead of a trigger. It took both hands to control the tool so I couldn't hit the switch. I had to walk away from the wall socket until the cord pulled out.

Thread: Boring Head
25/09/2021 22:51:47

Most boring tools with brazed carbide tips need to be ground before use. It is necessary to grind the correct clearance on the end and on the side. If your tool did not work well on the smaller holes I suspect insufficient side clearance.

Thread: Cutting Steel Plate.
18/09/2021 22:35:49

If the plate is galvanized forget the gas axe or plasma. Vaporized zinc or zinc oxide should not be inhaled.

Thread: Just out of interest how a angle grinder nut is made
18/09/2021 22:06:20

On a DeWalt grinder I purchased the holes in the nut were hexagonal. If I lost the spanner I could use an Allen wrench.

Thread: Standard Surveying Thread?
17/09/2021 01:47:19

I have owned several European surveying instruments. All but one had a 5/8-11 female thread in the base. The other was a proprietary bayonet connection.

Thread: Help with choosing thread cutting inserts
29/08/2021 22:23:48

An "on edge" insert will let you thread very close to a shoulder. If you grind your own HSS tools you can grind a tool that lets you thread right up to the shouder.

Thread: Is there such a thing as an 'external reamer'?
23/08/2021 00:42:22

For a dozen parts special tooling cannot be justified.

23/08/2021 00:40:39
Posted by Emgee on 18/08/2021 23:46:45:
Posted by John Reese on 18/08/2021 22:32:18:

Hollow mills are available. Here s an example:

**LINK**

Mouth watering price £100 + shipping from USA and then Duty + VAT

The problem using a die head would be cutting to the disc face, usually the dies are inset slightly.

Emgee

Hollow mills are made in the UK. About 52 Pounds for 8mm.

Projection type chasers would allow the die head to cut up to a face.

Thread: Making Tapered Castellations in Aluminium
23/08/2021 00:16:08

The hand cut castellations in your photo look fine to me. A little cleanup with needle files and your part will be just as good as the milled version.

Thread: Left hand thread on a Chester drill spindle
22/08/2021 23:49:15

A photo would be a great help.

Thread: 60 degree thread insert
20/08/2021 02:57:48

A 1.25 tpi would have a lead of 0.8 inches. My 16" lathe will not cut that coarse a thread. I figure it was a typo

Thread: Is there such a thing as an 'external reamer'?
19/08/2021 22:33:04

There are also adjustable hollow mills like these:

**LINK**

There are also solid hollow mills with some degree of adjustment. The OD has a slight taper. A ring is pressed on the OD to provide adjustment.

**LINK**

Brown & Sharpe made hollow mills for use on screw machines.

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate