By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for vic francis

Here is a list of all the postings vic francis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How close have you got to a Darwin Award?
12/02/2023 07:46:14

Hi Robin a thoughtful thread! Err yes almost the same , I had found this casing in my Father's Engineering parts, closed at one end and thus it was filled with carefully cut red you caps, the firing pin was filed , from a flat roofing nail, worked incredibly well , the noise was deafening, I can still hear the ringing! But not my Father's words expressing his annoyance....for it was a quiet Sunday.I abandoned that experimentation when it flew past me to close for comfort...

However after seeing plans for a canon, I wondered if the garden tube could work... Embedded in the ground, this it did if secured... A little demon banger dropped in supplied the force, meanwhile corks were raining down on the neighbourhood! In order to work out high they went, one counted 1001 ,1002 ect...before the impact noise was heard.

My attention then turned to the rear gatepost, which had a bigger diameter ! A heavier object was found and tested with multiple little demons ( bangers), a count was made , cripes it did go high, then impact, oh the elderly Mr Partridge's garden shed roof! Unfortunately he was still in it at the time, and he kindly old gent returned it to me ...saying by he had survived one war and did not want to be in another... That concluded the experiment! Experience is a slow teacher.

Vic

Thread: DIY milling machine
12/02/2023 07:01:59
Posted by Vic on 11/02/2023 16:22:12:

It seems it is possible to use a bench drill if it has the right nose. This picture from:

**LINK**

Hi Vic, it is a nice idea to use the combo, but it has the flaw that it has no quill fine down feed to control the cutter depth! Unless some form of cutter advancement is possible acting on the quill directly ? Like a leadscrew... Personally buy a old unwanted milling machine ! Dave could be right to buy a hobbymat lathe mill combo if space is tight! Very good machines. Vic

Thread: Sourcing Small Bevel Gears
19/01/2023 11:41:23

Hi Trevor sent you a person message! Best to avoid the bevel gears...chain drive superior....plus other mods for the atkinson.

regards Vic

Thread: Clayton and shuttleworth 2” traction engine
29/11/2022 10:02:15

Hi Tony, yes I have checked the Les Burford auction catalogue and think it was the Dreweattes Transport sale auction where it first appeared for sale ; they might have records of the seller , who you could contact, but most likely there is no current cert or history... as Paul correctly explains above. Certainly,a rarely modelled engine! So the original builder did his own research and most likely did a good job.

Fingers crossed for you on the test.

regards

vic

28/11/2022 22:36:19

S

Hi Tony, Station road steam had a 2 inch Clayton and shuttle worth engine for sale, was it this one you bought? I am sure that was among the auction lots last year, painted brown if I remember rightly?I'll check back.regards Vic

Thread: UK State Pension
29/09/2022 21:19:51

An interesting topic Andrew; lets hope you do actually receive your State Pension!, with the increasing likelihood of A Nuclear exchange between east and west I am not so confident about the Future sadly.

Err can I have it as a lump sum now?

vic

Thread: Looking for Thetford Town book by Alan Marshall
02/09/2022 08:22:54

Hi, a there are the two volumes on ebay under steam for sale...

kind regards

vic

Thread: What is the finest model engineering you've seen?
20/08/2022 06:32:58
Posted by oilcan on 19/08/2022 14:36:21:

One deserving of a mention is the 1/30 scale horizontal Corliss engine of Jerry Kieffer of the US. Deceptively simple looking, until you realise that everything is scale, including the 1/4 diameter bolts on the original. How you go about making taps and dies to produce a 0.009" diameter functional bolt I have no idea!

Clem Tomlinson's Deltic Engine deserves a mention. i would love to see it close up.

Plus one for the engines of Commander Barker. I always made a point of visiting the Merseyside Maritime Museum to view them, but I believe they are no longer on display. Even more impressive when you realise they were made with treadle operated machinery.

Quite right Oilcan! oh and Jerry Kieffer’s workshop has no cnc machines, but have nc readout, I think he also was not Engineered trained... and a lovely guy. I have one of his tiny nut and bolts in a small case.He has made many remarkable models, I often wonder how!

Thread: Landilift
07/05/2022 19:45:49

Hi I emailed landylift twice in the past for two different machine moves, and called him, and never received a reply.... not sure I would bother in all honesty. Hard to find reliable guys at times.

Good luck

vic

Thread: Pride of Penrhyn Steam Wagon drawing and construction notes
10/04/2022 05:01:11

Hi Neil, Julia Old did a extensive build of one of these engines, doing necessary mods to make the engine work. She is on traction talk forum.The series was published on her web site years ago, not sure if I still have it but I will look. She has gradually moved up in scale to little Samson 6 inch scale engine. So is well qualified. I think this engine is based on the Robey steam wagon.The boilers were good, commercially made, but some of the engineering needs work.This wagon was better than some of the locos, I have the tiger tank.! Made by them which is basic compared to armourtek now.

I think she stiffened the road springs as we lack of ground clearance with driver on it.

Regards

Vic

Thread: Steel tyres on alloy rims
28/01/2022 08:04:49

Fine advice from old mart! Precision models left outside , well I have seen a few suffer this sad fate; the damp shed... perhaps due to various unfortunate circumstances.I have a couple as well; it is the metalwork which needs thought, I wondered about plating , or lacquer coat. I have a gm showmans which had this fate of the damp shed... took alot to get it reasonable, but the metalwork has some staining / pitting ... anyway a coat of lacquer, but what type ? Seen it flake badly in time. What do you chaps think?

keep the good work going Jon!

regards

vic

Thread: Help please with inherited items
10/01/2022 14:13:10
Posted by br on 03/01/2022 17:32:23:

I would happily I would bid £1500 for the plant and £3500 for the Allchin for two such fine items

I would initially try them on ebay with the above figures as your reserve price.

SRS are currently listing a comparable Allchin at £4750, but that comes with new certificates which enhances the price.

Edited By br on 03/01/2022 17:35:35

That is a honest valuation 👍so I would second that Bill! The Royal Chester is finely made, even the padlock! Err spare key anyone??

regards vic

Thread: electronic cylinder indication
07/08/2021 20:53:36

Great work Werner!!

And utube explanation! I wondered why at the rhs end the graph line dips down , and bounces back up... ? What was causing that do you think?

Have you tried this on your Fabulous Fire King Fire Engine yet? With or with out the Turbinators in operation? From the utube videos your machine looked spot on perfect already! Certainly clean running, and long runs!!

Vic

Thread: Another Stolen Loco
21/06/2021 18:27:28

Hi Paul, Thank you for the worrying update as regards Mr Day’s Sentinel; I shall keep a lookout even if it was repainted the high quality of the Sentinel would be hard to disguise. Would Mr Day make another Sentinel to replace? I wonder?I am lost for words about the situation.

regards

Vic

21/06/2021 18:25:54

Hi Paul, Thank you for the worrying update as regards Mr Day’s Sentinel; I shall keep a lookout even if it was repainted the high quality of the Sentinel would be hard to disguise. Would Mr Day make another Sentinel to replace? I wonder?I am lost for words about the situation.

regards

Vic

13/06/2021 17:31:49

Hi That is sad news; also does anyone know if Mr Day who built the superb 4 inch Sentinel steam waggon( see cover of me 4557) got it recovered,? That was sometime ago ...As I understand it the crooks were definitely professional as it was well secured and in a trailer, front drive ect I can understand that being a professional job and with limited copper value on it, but special built Rare item,but for a Maxitrak r1 with a 70 lb ? copper boiler seems a bit wild... even if it was £2 a lb scrap copper value... it would not add up to a lot... it is a bit confusing really... a worry all the same...perhaps things will get worse now, with economic downturn...?

vic

Thread: Advice on moving an Archdale radial drill
03/06/2021 23:59:08

Hi , well done 👌on moving such a beast! Ok it is a very good thing about spindle breaking in case of the work breaking free; however I would bolt a safety stop fixing on the bed , using more than one tee slot as well... I did see a video ; whereby the long bar material being drilled ( large hole) snagged broke free and hit the operator ,mid torso. Like a scything motion, only stopping when at the main column...Very sadly it was fatal. If he had a mechanical safety stop he would have survived, and bought time... I have seen a few milling damaged tables with tee slots broken, and often wondered what happened....

So safe working and Please show us what work you can do on such a fine versatile machine? Maybe fullsize traction engine parts??

ps it looks more than 1.2 tons!!

Vic

Thread: Modded 1" Minnie Progress
31/05/2021 15:49:58

Great work of art ,Richard Forget the mower restoration!let the grass grow long!!

Vic

Thread: cl500m milling & drilling
31/05/2021 15:18:54

Hi Danni, Have you the cast iron milling table which bolts to the cross slide? , if so mount your vice on it! Then measure your material diameter, and put it in the vice , put your milling chuck in the mill head and tighten the draw bar. Select the cutter and note the size, so for example two cutting edges for a blind hole for example. Moisten a small strip of rizla paper to the outside of the bar, then start the machine and slowly advance to the outside of the bar, the paper will be caught on the os of the cutter, then all you do is raise the head on the quill handle, retracting the cutter.Zero or note the dial reading on the cross slide,and you need to move 1/2 the diam of your cutter, plus 1/2 the diam of your material diam . Then you will be on the centre line of your material!That is a old fashioned way, but the mounting of a digital display makes light work of it! Even a inexpensive digital calliper display... msg me if you want info ...

ps it is better to mount the work on the table and vice than in the 3j chuck limitations !

regards

vic

Thread: david king engineer from norwich
28/04/2021 15:04:24

Hi there is a mention of a newton coil boiler in a old ME; vol 186 issue 4139 page 129, but unfortunately I dont have that issue to be able to say any more...

regards

vic

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate