Dipping my toe again into the pool of knowledge

I have a lever operated tailstock attachment for my ML 7

Can someone please explain what its used for

Many Thanks

ega08/03/2022 15:10:01
2805 forum posts
219 photos

Lucky you!

It's a desirable replacement for the standard screw feed - quicker, more sensitive action for drilling with the ability to retract rapidly.

Ian Montana08/03/2022 15:22:09
15 forum posts

They are selling for a silly sum - that makes sense because the diameter of the hand wheels and the diameter of the tail stock lead screw makes it a little difficult

Thanks Ega

Baz08/03/2022 16:09:16
1033 forum posts
2 photos

I think they are advertised for silly money, not sure if they actually sell for it, I have seen a dealer in the south west advertising one for over a year now and he hasn’t sold it.

Robert Butler08/03/2022 16:20:02
511 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Ian Montana on 08/03/2022 15:22:09:

They are selling for a silly sum - that makes sense because the diameter of the hand wheels and the diameter of the tail stock lead screw makes it a little difficult

What makes sense ???????

Robert Butler

SillyOldDuffer08/03/2022 16:44:08
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

The lever action is excellent for drilling lots of holes quickly with no particular need for depth accuracy. A conventional tailstock provides good accuracy but slows drilling down if you're in a rush. Nice to have both.

Of the two, I prefer conventional because most of the drilling in my workshop is done on milling machine or pillar drill, and for most purposes they do a better job faster. Lathe drilling is still important, but - for what I do - a lever action tailstock isn't a big deal. It depends - others love 'em.

In the past, Myfords were often put on repetition work where accessories such as adjustable depth stops, lever tailstocks, and tailstock turret tool-holders are the bees knees. Although there must be lots of exceptions, I suspect most of us rarely do repetition work.

Order a copy of L.H.Sparey's "The Amateur's Lathe" : he describes and explains most Myford-era lathe work brilliantly.

Dave

David George 108/03/2022 17:03:59
2110 forum posts
565 photos

There is a copy of the tailstock lever action being cast for the M Type lathe. I don't know if it is adjustable for other lathes as I have yet to see one in the flesh.

5.jpeg

David

Edited By David George 1 on 08/03/2022 17:25:45

ega08/03/2022 17:33:47
2805 forum posts
219 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/03/2022 16:44:08:...

Order a copy of L.H.Sparey's "The Amateur's Lathe" : he describes and explains most Myford-era lathe work brilliantly.

LHS was a convert to the advantages of the lever feed tailstock: "A few months after obtaining my ML.7 lathe I fitted this attachment ... since when - if may coin a phrase - I have used no other." (from A Man and His Lathe).

He also points out the advantage of easier self-feeding when using taps and dies and the easier use of reamers (where feed and withdrawal should be rapid).

TEE Publishing may still have copies of this excellent little book.

Neil Lickfold08/03/2022 19:00:32
1025 forum posts
204 photos

They work well, but secondary drilling of brass with a normal drill bit, they can bite in. A split collar can be made to go onto the shaft and be used as a positioned stop in the back of the unit. They are just as fast as the rack and pinion tail stock units, and the rack and pinion gives a much longer drilling length or reach. The rack and pinion is not as sensitive as the lever one, but in saying that, I have successfully drilled 0.3mm holes for 3d printer nozzles on mine in both brass and steel. I own both having 1st bought the lever one, then bout the rack and pinion with the indexing drill holder attachment. After the one job I did with the indexer drilling, have never used it again, but have never removed the rack and pinion unit either or used the original hand wheel unit. But have kept it for the one day. My tailstock now has a sprung fit caliper holder for a cheap digital read out, and I have made a split collar to be used for a physical stop for drilling constant depth operations.

Neil

Ian Montana08/03/2022 20:10:11
15 forum posts
Posted by Robert Butler on 08/03/2022 16:20:02:

What makes sense ???????

Robert Butler

What it is ysed for

Ian Montana08/03/2022 20:11:16
15 forum posts

Has anyone got one fitted to their machine

Id appreciate a picture

Thanks

Ian

MikeK08/03/2022 20:31:49
226 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by Ian Montana on 08/03/2022 20:11:16:

Has anyone got one fitted to their machine

Id appreciate a picture

Thanks

Ian

Is this it here?...

**LINK**

Andrew Johnston08/03/2022 20:51:44
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/03/2022 16:44:08:

...no particular need for depth accuracy

...most of us rarely do repetition work

Lever operated tailstocks often come with a stop for accurate, and fast, depth control.

Some of us do repetition work:

studs_me.jpg

nuts_me.jpg

All done on a lathe with a lever action tailstock.

Andrew

Ian Montana08/03/2022 21:04:04
15 forum posts

This is an excellent forum thanks for all of replies 😀

Robert Butler08/03/2022 21:39:19
511 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Ian Montana on 08/03/2022 20:10:11:
Posted by Robert Butler on 08/03/2022 16:20:02:

What makes sense ???????

Robert Butler

What it is ysed for

Ian, thanks for clarifying that, it was the justification I was struggling with, "because the diameter of the hand wheels and the diameter of the tailstock leadscrew makes it a little difficult", this didn't seem to have any relevance.

On the ML7 the hand wheel and trust plate is removed and the device fitted in place. This differs from the S7 where the tailstock barrel is replaced and the attachment fitted with an integral bearing.

Robert Butler

Georgineer08/03/2022 21:56:45
652 forum posts
33 photos

I love my lever attachment, with one reservation. The handle sticks out a long way and catches me when I'm walking past in my cramped workshop. I've taken to removing the handle when not using it.

George

Peter Spink08/03/2022 22:15:05
126 forum posts
48 photos

I have the rack version on mine - wouldn't be without it!

Hopper08/03/2022 22:29:07
7881 forum posts
397 photos

The other advantage of a lever action tailstock is it gives you a more sensitive "feel" when drilling small holes so you don't end up putting too much pressure on those small drill bits. It also allows a quicker and more sensitive "pecking" motion when withdrawing the drill momentarily to clear swarf from the flutes. Doing the same by winding the tailstock handwheel is cumbersome by comparison. The lever action is more like using a drill press laid down horizontal. Quick, easy and sensitive. Well worth having.

ega08/03/2022 23:18:41
2805 forum posts
219 photos

MikeK's link shows the ML7 attachment.

If anyone is interested, there are photos of my customised version for the Super 7 in my Miscellaneous album (search for 645 and 646).

My custom handle can be instantly released/clamped to adjust the leverage or to move it in out of the way or even removed completely to use it as a drift to release tailstock tooling.

Hopper09/03/2022 09:43:33
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by ega on 08/03/2022 23:18:41:

MikeK's link shows the ML7 attachment.

If anyone is interested, there are photos of my customised version for the Super 7 in my Miscellaneous album (search for 645 and 646).

My custom handle can be instantly released/clamped to adjust the leverage or to move it in out of the way or even removed completely to use it as a drift to release tailstock tooling.

So, what does one do to use a tailstock centre with a lever-action set-up? Is there a cunning way to apply carefully adjusted preload to a centre so it neither burns out nor is loose? And to lock it in that position as quickly and easily as the standard handwheel and thread set-up? Or does one have to remove the lever set-up and put the handwheel back in place? Or do you just apply the pressure with the lever and rely on the tailstock barrel lock to hold it in place under load?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate