By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Original maching marks on Myford lathe bed

What exactly do these visible original machining marks look like?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adam Harris20/04/2014 17:40:31
533 forum posts
26 photos

Occasionally I have read that a Myford lathe offered for sale is in such little used condition that the seller boasts one "can still see the original machining marks on the bedways" - evidence that it has not had enough use to warrant a regrind over the last 50 odd years. Could anyone enlighten me by describing in detail what original marks exactly one is suppose to see?? Thanks , Adam

Matts BitsNBobs22/04/2014 09:23:19
29 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Adam,

I think they refer to the original hand scrape marks on the bed, usually only see at the tail stock end on a well used lathe.

Matthew

Adam Harris22/04/2014 09:39:21
533 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Matthew, thanks, but what do those look like?

Brian Wood22/04/2014 10:21:38
2742 forum posts
39 photos

Hello Adam,

The best description is 'frosting' where the scaper marks cross each other at angles, once seen it is a characteristic pattern to look out for on other machinery. The best versions are crescent shaped, but because it is a hand operation such variations are just the particular hallmark of the man who did the job in the first place.

Just occassionally the finish is used purely for decoration and not the original purpose of finishing a flat surface to provide minutely shallow oil retaining scallops. I'm sorry I don't have a picture to show you, maybe someone else can produce one.

Regards Brian

Bazyle22/04/2014 13:06:01
6956 forum posts
229 photos

**LINK**

just googled 'lathe frosting'

Andrew Moyes 122/04/2014 13:30:59
158 forum posts
22 photos

Most wear takes place on the vertical shears and I think the machine marks usually referred to are the milling marks on those. For some reason Myford ground the top but not the shears.  After about a thou of wear, the milling marks disappear.  Compare the appearance of the untouched front shear on the right hand side (in front of the tailstock) with that near the gap.

Andrew M

Edited By Andrew Moyes 1 on 22/04/2014 13:37:15

Adam Harris22/04/2014 17:16:43
533 forum posts
26 photos

Very many thanks Brian, Bazyle and Andrew. Now I understand much better what this looks like. Adam

Frank.N Storm22/04/2014 23:01:09
50 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by matt sw on 22/04/2014 09:23:19:

Hi Adam,

I think they refer to the original hand scrape marks on the bed, usually only see at the tail stock end on a well used lathe.

Matthew

Don't lead Adam into a wrong lane.

The big question is: had Myford lathes *ever* scraped bedways??? I don't own one, and it's a long time since I last saw one in flesh. But I cannot remember - also not from advertisements and pictures - that I ever saw scraped ways on them. Someone can enlighten me if I'm wrong?

Regards, Frank

Mike Poole22/04/2014 23:22:37
3676 forum posts
82 photos

My Myford bed is not scraped and although around 30 years old is still as good as new ( it has had an easy life)

Mike

MadMike23/04/2014 09:52:19
265 forum posts
4 photos

I had a Myford ML7 and do not recall any scraper marks on the bed. I now have a Myford 254S which was one of the very last Myford Refurbished lathes that they ever sold before closing. There are no scraper marks on the bed.

Robbo23/04/2014 20:01:38
1504 forum posts
142 photos

My Mk1 Super 7 still has scraped "frosting" on the sides of the bedways and on the saddle/cross-slide area. When beds were reground they were not re-scraped.

DMR23/04/2014 20:31:04
136 forum posts
14 photos

I have a S7 that had a bed regrind during a VAT free offer about 2 years (guess) before they went under. I also attended every annual first open day they ever did. The beds and all other slideways were ground and never scraped. Circumstance means that the relevant machine has not been used since and I would describe the visual finish as something like fine ground glass. Certainly not as Bazyle's link which is a scraped finish. My older machine which had a bed regrind about 10 years ago at (proper) Myford has never needed any guides' adjustment, but the bed now has a smooth fine lined appearance at the business end.

Ex Myford Daryle now offers a service involving scraping, of which I have no knowledge, but I believe it is more of an in-line scraping principle, not producing swirly marks. I have a Chinese mill with swirly marks on all slideways!

Trust this helps Adam.

Dennis

jaCK Hobson25/04/2014 16:41:00
383 forum posts
101 photos

My super 7 has C type scraping on the bed - not type 1 but doesn't have power cross feed. I don't notice any frosting. It s very regular/consistant so was done by someone well-practiced. I'd suggest they are original.

Neil Lickfold07/05/2014 08:33:20
1025 forum posts
204 photos

My myford has a ground lathe bed, so does a friend's lathe. Mine is a super7 made around 1974.

The only slide that has scraping is the compound slide. Not sure if that was original or done by the previous owner.

WALLACE07/05/2014 09:55:28
304 forum posts
17 photos
No one's dared to say it, but adding a bit of random scraping might be a way unscrupulous *astards could add a bit of value to a clapped out machine. ..

'Immaculate condition - original scraping marks still visible' etc ....

W.
Michael Gilligan07/05/2014 10:44:05
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Good point, Wallace,

I would also add another observation ... The original question was about machining marks and [generally speaking], scraping is a handwork process.

MichaelG.

WALLACE07/05/2014 14:28:25
304 forum posts
17 photos
All too true Michael - my eye sight's terrible these days !!!

W.
Gordon W07/05/2014 15:48:02
2011 forum posts

When I was doing such things scraping ( flat and circular ) was often done just to take off small high spots as required. Might not Myfords have done the same ?

John Stevenson07/05/2014 15:56:48
5068 forum posts
3 photos

No Myford's ground the beds all thru the working life of the 7 series, can't comment on the earlier Drummond derived machines.

The saddles were also ground where it fitted to the bed and then hand scraped, top slides were ground but the saddle where the slide fitted was hand scraped.

If any Myford's exist with scraping marks on the bed then they have been done at later rebuilds.

They prided themselves on the finish of the bed ways.

Matts BitsNBobs08/05/2014 16:31:00
29 forum posts
3 photos

This is mine at the tailstock end, sorry if its a bad picture best I could get, but it looks like scrape marks on there, if not please tell me what they are?

I am the second owner, the first was a factory where it had little use and came with a pile of bills etc even the original letter confirming the order and when it would be delivered, but nothing of a later regrind. I was always told by an old engineer, who sadly passed away last month, that they are scrape marks? unless someone in the factory had a go?

Matthew

2014-04-28 20.42.47.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate